2018 Dead Pool

August 16th, 2018 at 6:49:28 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Ayecarumba
I don’t know how old you are J.R., but how about Billie Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald, or Taylor Swift?

Carole King

Quote:
Played back to back, Carole King's chart entries would run about five straight hours. And those are just her hits – not to mention album tracks, B sides, and the odd flop. King's career as a songwriter is so expansive that it dwarfs even the monster sales figures of her classic 1971 solo juggernaut, Tapestry, which currently tops 25 million and counting.
King was a musical prodigy, selling melodies to New York City publishing companies while she was still in high school. In college she met Gerry Goffin, destined to be her lover and lyricist for the next decade. Though the marriage didn't survive, their musical partnership weathered the shifting styles of the Sixties, yielding smashes for teen idols and rock bands, big-haired girl groups and big-voiced R&B legends.
King's hits helped make her the most successful female songwriter — and certainly among the most influential songwriters, period – of the 20th century. In honor of King's 75th birthday, we look beyond her immortal smashes like "You've Got a Friend" and "(You Make Me Feel Like) a Natural Woman" to spotlight 10 tracks you may not have known she had a hand in creating.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/10-songs-you-didnt-know-carole-king-wrote-108268/take-good-care-of-my-baby-bobby-vee-1961-108328/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 16th, 2018 at 7:18:11 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I don’t know how old you are J.R., but how about Billie Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald, or Taylor Swift?

I'm a huge Mavis Staples fan
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 16th, 2018 at 7:20:13 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I don't dispute their market share.

Just trying to understand what the statement means.
The President is a fink.
August 16th, 2018 at 7:54:35 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2

Billie: before my time
Ella: excellent suggestion , one of my favorite voices ever.
Taylor: heh, that's cute. I'm probably too old to appreciate, by my kids would say Beyoncé is more influential among her contemporaries.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
August 16th, 2018 at 8:03:06 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: rxwine
Carole King

Another tremendous talent. I read a story that she and Goffin were taking a walk in Manhattan when a record executive pulled up in a lemo, rolled down the window and said he was looking for a new song for Aretha, maybe call it "Natural Woman". Carol and Goffin had Aretha's hit the next day.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
August 16th, 2018 at 10:24:43 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: JimRockford
Another tremendous talent. I read a story that she and Goffin were taking a walk in Manhattan when a record executive pulled up in a lemo, rolled down the window and said he was looking for a new song for Aretha, maybe call it "Natural Woman". Carol and Goffin had Aretha's hit the next day.

Musical genius seems to be like that. Tunes just pop out of their fingers.
I heard a similar story about John Lennon and “A Hard Days Night”
August 16th, 2018 at 11:45:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Musical genius seems to be like that.

It's a science. Most of them write many bad
songs that we'll never hear. One of the big
songwriters, I wish I could remember who,
said he writes 5 songs a day. Like it's a
9 to 5 job. And if he does that, he may
get half a dozen a year that will go
somewhere. But to get that half a dozen,
he has to write 2000.

Like Edison with his light bulb. He tried
over 3000 filaments before he got the
one that worked right. Songwriting is
no different.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 16th, 2018 at 11:50:34 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
he has to write 2000.
We have a friend that writes songs in Nashville, has written for several big name artists. One of his songs, "Like a rock" has been recorded by multiple artists. He writes songs, like you said sometimes more than one or two per day, sometimes writers block, he says some of his best songs are written in fifteen minutes.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 17th, 2018 at 2:26:15 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
he has to write 2000.

I don't know how true the story is, but the story goes that Michael Jackson was a Simpsons fan and wanted to do a guest appearance. So he tell the producers, "Put me on and I will write you a hit song." Said it like that as if he could just crank out a hit song at will.
The President is a fink.
August 17th, 2018 at 5:51:50 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
Just trying to understand what the statement means.

It means Fox News's main demo is old racists.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman