Does Religion Make People Moral?

December 4th, 2017 at 12:03:29 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
many of the most intelligent people the world has ever known who know God exists .

Know? What you mean is, believe, hope and
pray he exists. They can't 'know' it, or me and
Einstein and Stephen Hawking and the boatload
of other atheists would know it too.

And we don't, far from it. The burden of proof
is on you, and so far all you have is wishful
thinking. Just like all believers. So you'll continue
to hang with each other, I hear there is comfort
in numbers when you are nervous and unsure
of something.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 4th, 2017 at 6:02:58 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
There is a lot of ink spilled about that and why it would be, none of it very convincing for any of us who know life only after the New Testament.

So it's relative, then.
December 4th, 2017 at 6:35:59 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
No, the killing of innocent people is and always has been wrong. What the ancient Israelite understanding of this in a time of wanton violence and constant threat of war is what gradually changes.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 4th, 2017 at 6:38:41 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Do adults really believe in Santa?

Only in election campaigns.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 4th, 2017 at 6:47:35 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
Know? What you mean is, believe, hope and
pray he exists. They can't 'know' it, or me and
Einstein and Stephen Hawking and the boatload
of other atheists would know it too.

I mean truly knowing God. I mean this in the sense of personal experience and relationship the same way someone might know Col. Sanders. Look I get that you and Hawking might not have had this and so you don't have this piece of evidence, but that doesn't mean someone else doesn't. You are presenting kinds of proof that you think is important and for each type so far: written documentation and being known by people, I have shown their is plenty of proof based on your own qualifications that God exists. You have many other types of proof and I am eager to hear them, but so far both point to Col. Sander's existence and God's. Let me also say it is understandable if for whatever reason you dismiss the authenticity or authority of God's written documentation and if you do not know God to doubt His existence. Just like someone who never knew Col. Sanders and thought Col. Sander's birth certificate and everything written about him was made up might deny his existence. I think and hope this is becoming an exercise where at least you realize there is indeed different kinds of proof for God's existence.

Quote:
The burden of proof
is on you, and so far all you have is wishful
thinking. Just like all believers. So you'll continue
to hang with each other, I hear there is comfort
in numbers when you are nervous and unsure
of something.

All we are doing is having you share your reasons for Col. Sanders existence and allowing me to point out that the same reasons can be given for God. I'm not trying to prove anything to you, just simply pointing out that as you prove something as easy as someone's existence the same reasons can be given for God. No wishful thinking here besides on your part and the little snide comments won't do you any good.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 4th, 2017 at 7:03:52 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
No, the killing of innocent people is and always has been wrong. What the ancient Israelite understanding of this in a time of wanton violence and constant threat of war is what gradually changes.

So it's relative, then.
December 4th, 2017 at 7:13:55 AM permalink
Ibeatyouraces
Threads: 0
Quote: Wizard
That's true! As evidenced by the three stripes on his sleeve.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commander_(United_States)

"An officer in the rank of commander who commands a vessel may also be referred to as "captain" as a courtesy title, or informally referred to as "skipper"."

This is still true to this day.
December 4th, 2017 at 7:24:04 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Mosca
So it's relative, then.

Well certainly our following what is good and moral is relative, but what is good is not relative.
December 4th, 2017 at 9:31:10 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Ibeatyouraces
An officer in the rank of commander who commands a vessel may also be referred to as "captain" as a courtesy title, or informally referred to as "skipper"."

This is still true to this day.

Thanks; I didn't know that. However, I think calling him "Commander Crunch" should still be optional.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 4th, 2017 at 9:35:06 AM permalink
Ibeatyouraces
Threads: 0
Quote: Wizard
Thanks; I didn't know that. However, I think calling him "Commander Crunch" should still be optional.

Or Commodore from the old days.