Does Religion Make People Moral?

Page 24 of 24« First<21222324
December 12th, 2017 at 6:13:52 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
First of all Santa is not religious. Secondly, you still are stuck thinking of only a religious definition of sin. That is kind of weird for an atheist.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 12th, 2017 at 6:18:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
First of all Santa is not religious. Secondly, you still are stuck thinking of only a religious definition of sin. That is kind of weird for an atheist.

What did Jesus say sin was, he ought to know.
I've never heard a Xtion say it's just a mistake,
like getting mad at your sister and then
feeling bad about it. Which seems to be
what you're saying.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 12th, 2017 at 6:52:21 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I think I once quoted for you the Catechism's definition of sin. Here is a good quote that both tells you what I believe sin to be and why you can't understand its theological definition:

Quote: Catechism#387
Without the knowledge Revelation gives of God we cannot recognize sin clearly and are tempted to explain it as merely a developmental flaw, a psychological weakness, a mistake, or the necessary consequence of an inadequate social structure, etc. Only in the knowledge of God’s plan for man can we grasp that sin is an abuse of the freedom that God gives to created persons so that they are capable of loving him and loving one another.

So you can see from above that I don't believe sin is just a mistake. All I am saying to you is that you deny the above definition of sin because you don't believe in God. I understand that. However, when you say that sin is just made up you don't realize that outside of God's revelation even atheists would say that sin is one the things mentioned above (developmental flaw, psychological weakness, etc.) including a mistake. Surely you see that every human being makes mistakes, right? I'm sure that is not a foreign concept to you.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 12th, 2017 at 7:18:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Without the knowledge Revelation gives of God we cannot recognize sin clearly and are tempted to explain it as merely a developmental flaw, a psychological weakness, a mistake, or the necessary consequence of an inadequate social structure, etc. Only in the knowledge of God’s plan for man can we grasp that sin is an abuse of the freedom that God gives to created persons so that they are capable of loving him and loving one another.

I read this 3 times, what a bunch of gobblygook
nonsense. It clearly shows that whoever wrote
that has no idea what sin is, just like everybody
else. That's because it has no real meaning, sin
is whatever you say it is. And people use it that
way, don't they. Everything under the sun has
been called a sin, from robbing a bank to farting
in an elevator. It's a silly and useless word.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 12th, 2017 at 7:33:56 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I think I once quoted for you the Catechism's definition of sin. Here is a good quote that both tells you what I believe sin to be and why you can't understand its theological definition:

I wish our modern society would agree with your Catechism more. If we followed the section I hi-lighted we would not be giving so many "get out of jail free" cards to those that are socially disadvantaged when they sin.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 14th, 2017 at 2:51:08 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I've asked before, why aren't Christians preaching Christianity to other Christians rather than to atheists. It turns out some of them are:

https://thinkprogress.org/2017-is-the-year-trump-and-the-religious-right-made-the-religious-left-unavoidable-3e89528104b6/

Quote:
“We owe an apology that we have allowed evangelicals to distort and bastardize the Bible, and declare erroneously and outright lie that Trump is a man of God,” Rev. Jamal Bryant of Empowerment Temple AME told a crowd of religious leaders at a massive July progressive faith rally in Washington, D.C. “We repent on behalf of the likes of Paula White, and Perry Stone, and Jerry Falwell, and the board of Liberty University—they do not reflect the body of Christ at large.”
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 24 of 24« First<21222324