Casual thread

October 26th, 2017 at 2:41:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman
All the paperwork was signed at the bank. I wanted the car in my wifes name and they wouldn't do it, had to be registered in my name because she had no credit record in her own name.

That explains it then. Has nothing to do with gender. Has to do with being able to encumber the vehicle with the lien.
The President is a fink.
October 26th, 2017 at 7:07:35 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AZDuffman
That explains it then. Has nothing to do with gender. Has to do with being able to encumber the vehicle with the lien.

Why would the dealer have a lien on the vehicle they weren't financing it the bank was. It was the dealer that wouldn't put it into my wifes name.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 26th, 2017 at 8:17:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman
Why would the dealer have a lien on the vehicle they weren't financing it the bank was. It was the dealer that wouldn't put it into my wifes name.

The dealer doesn't, but their write-up department has to have you sign it and file it. No dealer is going to miss a chance to sell a car so it had to be about the lien.
The President is a fink.
October 26th, 2017 at 9:08:45 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
I think the long term solution is to work on communication. Jumping to conclusions, or making worst case assumptions may be explained by a lack of valid input.

Such sensible, logical, reasonable advice seems not to be wanted on the seas of misogyny.

Quote:
A good resource on improving communication: 5 Love Languages

I heard about that. I think Dr. Hsieh did a Philosophy in Action podcast on them once.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 26th, 2017 at 11:17:40 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Nareed
Such sensible, logical, reasonable advice seems not to be wanted on the seas of misogyny.

But a much more compelling assessment is "Beaches be trippin."
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
November 11th, 2017 at 11:08:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Two of the big dark matter experiments running in Italy and China have published their latest findings: no dark matter has been detected or identified.

The hunt is about 30 years old by now. I'm being reminded of the Michelson-Morley experiment in the XIX Century.

For physicists, the nightmare scenario is that dark matter only interacts gravitationally with other matter, maybe even also with itself. If so, there would be no way at all to study it and determine what it is. For a few, though, it would mean there's no such thing as dark matter, and our understanding of gravity is still incomplete. Or there may be a third alternative altogether.

Interesting times.
November 14th, 2017 at 6:47:51 AM permalink
Nareed
Little known fact:

Homer's Iliad is not the story of the Trojan war. It's the story of the wrath of Achilles during a few days of the Trojan war.
November 14th, 2017 at 5:57:39 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Little known fact:

I read part of Homer's Iliadin the original Greek. Some of the students in the class were fluent in Modern Greek, but could not understand a word of Homeric Greek.
November 14th, 2017 at 8:27:07 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
I read part of Homer's Iliadin the original Greek. Some of the students in the class were fluent in Modern Greek, but could not understand a word of Homeric Greek.

For some reason, this scene from The Frisco Kid came to mind:

Chief Gray Cloud: [Holding the Torah as he speaks to the Indians surrounding him] I have read this book!

Chief Gray Cloud: [Whispering to Avram] I did not understand one word.
November 15th, 2017 at 6:47:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Homeric Greek is over 2500 years old. Something as recent as Shakespeare, about 500 years old, is hard enough for modern English-speakers to understand. In school we read passages from Cervantes' works, and they were pretty much "all Greek to me."