Casual thread

Page 3 of 10<123456>Last »
October 24th, 2017 at 4:22:57 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I think this might have been already posted here but worth repeating. "When a man gets married he thinks the women won't change, when a women gets married she thinks the man will change."
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 24th, 2017 at 5:08:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: kenarman
I think this might have been already posted here but worth repeating. "When a man gets married he thinks the women won't change, when a women gets married she thinks the man will change."

Or she thinks she can change the man. Which
is usually true.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 24th, 2017 at 6:45:15 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
Not that I see a lot it, but when I search my old records from back in the day, it is almost always a female that was declared insane/lunatic.
Out of curiosity was the term "hysterical" used often, or in lieu of insane?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 24th, 2017 at 7:17:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph

Studies show women are 40% more likely
to suffer from mental disorders than men,
and 75% more likely to have depression.
That got a lot of women locked up in
asylums in the 19th century, when depression
was mistaken for being bonkers.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 25th, 2017 at 2:53:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

The legal term then was "lunatic" or "lunacy." One guy left his daughter $200 or so, a lot then, after she was released from the insane asylum and declared cured.
The President is a fink.
October 25th, 2017 at 4:53:30 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Of course it was. All unacceptable behavior was attributed to the uterus. Different qualities of the uterus caused madness or improper behavior. A 'wandering uterus' was a cause for salacious behavior.

Insanity? Often insanity was not really necessary. If a married man delivered his wife to a sanatorium she could be kept there despite not meeting any objective or medically diagnosed standard. This held true even in the very Populist state of Wisconsin where women served on juries and managed their own property.

Has anyone here watched an episode of "the Real Wives of Anywhere" (a generic title for Real Wives of Orange County and its spin offs). It shows money is no solution to the cat-fighting situation. Lying, stealing, manipulation and spending money is endemic. And women watch those shows all day long in abject admiration and desire to emulate.

Why are husbands and breast implants alike? Because they each indicate a woman has not yet found a suitable divorce lawyer.
October 25th, 2017 at 4:57:17 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Thanks for the responses to my question. I can't think of any good cross-talk about it at this time.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 25th, 2017 at 5:31:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
This held true even in the very Populist state of Wisconsin where women served on juries and managed their own property.

I have only worked in a few, but in the ones I have worked women could always own their own property. I really think it is feminist legend that they were not allowed to do so. There were dower laws, but that was to protect the heirs as well as the widow.
The President is a fink.
October 25th, 2017 at 6:40:26 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Women were often unable to sell property without the consent of the husband even if it was her property since the female was considered incapable of entering into any contract except a contract involving necessaries for the support of herself and her children. In many states before a female could sign a contract someone had to take her aside and explain it to her.

The rules for real property were even more onerous, particularly in community property states or Louisiana.

A wife who disobeyed her husband or was a common scold could be charged with treason. A man who plotted against the state could be charged with High Treason.
October 25th, 2017 at 6:43:33 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
In my 30 years of working I have never worked for a woman. I assume it is because historically there have been so few women working in technical fields. I assume that is slowly changing.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 3 of 10<123456>Last »