2 votes (25%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (12.5%)
No votes (0%)

8 members have voted

September 29th, 2017 at 12:29:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I suppose the best thing that could happen in N. Korea is a coup. At least I can't imagine the next government could be much worse.

I'd even a approve our CIA trying to instigate one in this case if they aren't already, even though it generally has not been a good idea.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 29th, 2017 at 12:44:31 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
I suppose the best thing that could happen in N. Korea is a coup. At least I can't imagine the next government could be much worse.

If no coup happened during the famine in the 90s, i can't see one taking place now. Also, I don't see a junta or emerging strongman giving up the nukes either.

Lastly, what if Kim uses up his nukes to thwart a coup?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 29th, 2017 at 12:50:13 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
...I'd even a approve our CIA trying to instigate one in this case if they aren't already,
Why, what does any of that have to do with the US?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 29th, 2017 at 2:50:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: petroglyph
Why, what does any of that have to do with the US?

If someone threatens you and knows where you live, and will be able to carry it out eventually, it has a lot to do with you. Plus we still have contractual agreements with allies if they are attacked.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 29th, 2017 at 3:02:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Nareed
If no coup happened during the famine in the 90s, i can't see one taking place now. Also, I don't see a junta or emerging strongman giving up the nukes either.

Lastly, what if Kim uses up his nukes to thwart a coup?

I would think enough famine actually makes a coup unlikely if it's used to do so. Nazis kept people weak and starved in their camps.

Healthy disgruntled populace is the most dangerous.

I certainly don't know the complete history of such situations. In the early stages they might riot. But after that...?
September 29th, 2017 at 4:02:20 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman
I think that you have a very pessimistic view of the North Korean population AZD.

Every reason to be. Cut off from the world and brainwashed to fear the outside and worship the Dear Leader. They cannot even choose how to cut their hair off the style menu. They simply cannot function normally.
The President is a fink.
September 29th, 2017 at 7:37:49 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AZDuffman
Every reason to be. Cut off from the world and brainwashed to fear the outside and worship the Dear Leader. They cannot even choose how to cut their hair off the style menu. They simply cannot function normally.

I think that is a very simplistic view. If it was that easy to brain wash millions of people so completely then all countries would be controlled by dictators and revolutions would never occur. The North Korean population needs to follow the dictates of Kim because to do otherwise is death. That doesn't mean they don't know the truth and won't accept change when it comes.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 30th, 2017 at 6:32:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I think that is a very simplistic view. If it was that easy to brain wash millions of people so completely then all countries would be controlled by dictators and revolutions would never occur. The North Korean population needs to follow the dictates of Kim because to do otherwise is death. That doesn't mean they don't know the truth and won't accept change when it comes.

Easy? It is not easy. It has been built up by 70+ years of isolation and total rule. They all have pics of the Dear Leaders on their wall. They YT videos I saw had 2 at the time, I assume they all have 3 now. They dare not ever speak an ill word. Most of the ones alive will never be able to be normal. They don't know the truth.
The President is a fink.
September 30th, 2017 at 7:54:28 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AZDuffman
Easy? It is not easy. It has been built up by 70+ years of isolation and total rule. They all have pics of the Dear Leaders on their wall. They YT videos I saw had 2 at the time, I assume they all have 3 now. They dare not ever speak an ill word. Most of the ones alive will never be able to be normal. They don't know the truth.

Being scared to speak the truth is not the same as not knowing the truth.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 30th, 2017 at 8:18:47 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Being scared to speak the truth is not the same as not knowing the truth.

Lets try this another way.

You get only government TV and radio
You cannot telephone to the outside world
There is only a government newspaper
There is no internet
You have talked to nobody outside the country
The government runs every school at every level

You know only what the government has told you, from birth.

Will you know the truth?
The President is a fink.
Page 16 of 17« First<1314151617>