2 votes (25%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (12.5%)
No votes (0%)

8 members have voted

September 28th, 2017 at 6:50:22 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I don't want DJT in charge of figuring out what to do with a madman who has an arsenal of weapons. I also don't want a weak (BHO) president who was incapable of stemming the madman's increase in firepower.

I hate to admit it, but I don't know what the correct thing to do is. What would an average South Korean want done?
September 28th, 2017 at 8:37:41 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
What would an average South Korean want done?

I think they just wish reality could be changed. They have no good choices and never had quite the same desire for reunification as the Germans did. Some surely do, even sending radios by balloon over the DMZ. But at this point nobody remembers life before the country split.
The President is a fink.
September 28th, 2017 at 10:52:23 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
I think they just wish reality could be changed. They have no good choices and never had quite the same desire for reunification as the Germans did. Some surely do, even sending radios by balloon over the DMZ. But at this point nobody remembers life before the country split.

I spent some time in Korea several years ago. Several business trips, a few weeks at a time. I don't claim to be an expert, but I got to know several Koreans at that time. They never brought up the topic of tension with North, but when I asked about it, they reacted with a calmness that was almost indifference. They tune it out and go about their daily lives. In their experience there are always threats, tension, sabor rattling. If they let it bother them, it would be a constant distraction and they can't do anything about it anyway.

They feel strongly about reunification. Even though the separation happened long before they were born they are deeply emotional about their divided families. There seems to be an assumption that it's temporary, that reunification will happen for some future generation. I believe cultural reunification would be very difficult. I mentioned before about a S. Korean government program to educate and assimilate N. Korean defectors. Its track record is not good. The adjustment to a free capitalist society is frequently too difficult. And these are people who risked their lives to get out.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
September 28th, 2017 at 10:58:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: JimRockford
I spent some time in Korea several years ago. Several business trips, a few weeks at a time. I don't claim to be an expert, but I got to know several Koreans at that time. They never brought up the topic of tension with North, but when I asked about it, they reacted with a calmness that was almost indifference. They tune it out and go about their daily lives. In their experience there are always threats, tension, sabor rattling. If they let it bother them, it would be a constant distraction and they can't do anything about it anyway.

They feel strongly about reunification. Even though the separation happened long before they were born they are deeply emotional about their divided families. There seems to be an assumption that it's temporary, that reunification will happen for some future generation. I believe cultural reunification would be very difficult. I mentioned before about a S. Korean government program to educate and assimilate N. Korean defectors. Its track record is not good. The adjustment to a free capitalist society is frequently too difficult. And these are people who risked their lives to get out.

Interesting, I get my vibe more from how the south acts. I would agree on adjustment to a capitalist society. All you need to do is look at how institutionalized people get here either in official prison or a generation on welfare. I have read that the 1980 boat lift had Cubans acting the same way, couldn't do for themselves.
The President is a fink.
September 28th, 2017 at 2:41:36 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Interesting, I get my vibe more from how the south acts. I would agree on adjustment to a capitalist society. All you need to do is look at how institutionalized people get here either in official prison or a generation on welfare. I have read that the 1980 boat lift had Cubans acting the same way, couldn't do for themselves.

The former residents of East Germany seemed to adjust pretty quickly. I expect the same in North Korea when the DMZ is eventually cleared of all the landmines.
September 28th, 2017 at 2:50:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Ayecarumba
The former residents of East Germany seemed to adjust pretty quickly. I expect the same in North Korea when the DMZ is eventually cleared of all the landmines.

East Germany was not nearly as isolated and not for nearly as long. I disagree and predict it will take 2 full generations to get normalcy in the north.
The President is a fink.
September 28th, 2017 at 6:35:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
East Germany was not nearly as isolated and not for nearly as long. I disagree and predict it will take 2 full generations to get normalcy in the north.

1 generation. children adapt very quickly.
September 29th, 2017 at 2:41:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin
1 generation. children adapt very quickly.

But it will take time to clear the adults out and make the children the majority. Plus they will be conflicted around the adults bringing them up who have been brainwashed for generations. That stuff runs very deep.
The President is a fink.
September 29th, 2017 at 9:00:41 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
It seems we will live to see nuclear weapons used in war after all....
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 29th, 2017 at 11:38:39 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
But it will take time to clear the adults out and make the children the majority. Plus they will be conflicted around the adults bringing them up who have been brainwashed for generations. That stuff runs very deep.

I think that you have a very pessimistic view of the North Korean population AZD. You should read up on your Korean history. Most of the first half of 20th Century all of Korea was under the thumb of Japan but still united. It was only after WWII that it was split, basically by Russia and the US. North Korea with the help of China started the war trying to unite the country. South Korea has only been a true democracy with competitive elections since 1987. This is far from your "generations" of communist control. Like any people that seem themselves distinct (a current example is the Kurds) they will continue to work towards the goal of self determination until they succeed or are all dead. I am sure that 20 years after re-unification that the North Koreans would have embraced and become a key component of the power house existing S. Korean economy. The problem that exists right now is the south won't accept a dictator as it ruler. Said dictator won't give up power and has the military might to win a war with the south unless they are aided by the US. This is the same stalemate that has existed since the end of WWII.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 15 of 17« First<121314151617>