Merry Christmas to all!

Page 5 of 6« First<23456>
November 26th, 2017 at 2:30:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble

Also please explain how a nursery rhyme not seen until the 1800s some 300 years after the reign of Mary I refer to her?

How does a rhyme refer to Mary after her time?
What? How would it refer to her before her
time. I don't understand the question.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 26th, 2017 at 2:47:40 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
How much writing would take place that was contemporaneous? Writing about torture and beheading too promptly is not wise. No proof that is a reference to Bloody Mary? What about proof that it is not?
November 26th, 2017 at 2:47:40 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
If not Bloody Mary, then who?
If it really related to three wise men in the Levant why did the rhyme not appear earlier and contain references to a star or a camel or something.
November 26th, 2017 at 4:18:05 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
This thread has gone juuust a little off course.

Lol.

Happy Holidays.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
November 26th, 2017 at 4:37:07 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
How does a website about planning your funeral rank ahead of wikipedia?

How does feeding the trolls get them to stop trolling?

Just ignore them and enjoy Saturnalia.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 26th, 2017 at 6:46:50 PM permalink
Evenbob

https://wizzley.com/the-real-meaning-of-mary-mary-quite-contrary/
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 26th, 2017 at 8:19:07 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Again i think you need to examine your sources. From what I gather wizzley is a poor man's Wikipedia where anyone can be an author but can do so without citing any credible sources or any sources at all. Your links don't give any other possible meanings and don't talk about any reasons why it might not be as they claim. They don't deal with the possible religious source of the nursery rhyme nor do they talk about the date discrepancy. It seems like you and Flea have just latched onto one possible, albeit it problematic, explanation and aren't open to other possibilities. It isn't a big deal but points to one of your continued exposed flaws of trying to make reality fit into your worldview rather than seeking the truth. Could we perhaps let this drop by both accepting that there is a possibility it has the hidden meaning you are suggesting and also accepting that it might not have anything to do with Queen Mary I?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 26th, 2017 at 8:34:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
It's curious that the early guillotine was called
the 'maiden', and Bloody Mary had rows of
them for mass executions. 'All the maids in
a row'. These were clever people who had
to speak in riddles, there was no freedom
of the press or speech. The queen would
have your writing hand chopped off if you
offended her. Not just Mary, any of the queens
of kings that followed her.

There are other rhymes with Mary as the
theme.

“Three Blind Mice” is yet another ode to Bloody Mary’s reign, with the trio in question believed to be a group of Protestant bishops—Hugh Latimer, Nicholas Radley, and The Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Cranmer—who (unsuccessfully) conspired to overthrow the queen and were burned at the stake for their heresy. Critics suggest that the blindness in the title refers to their Protestant religious beliefs."
November 26th, 2017 at 9:55:35 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Again why speak in riddles 300 years after her reign? Even more importantly why do you continue to beat a dead horse?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 26th, 2017 at 10:32:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Again why speak in riddles 300 years after her reign? Even more importantly why do you continue to beat a dead horse?

What's dead about the horse, I thought we
were still discussing it. Why were they
speaking in riddles 300 years later, you'd
have to ask them. I find this extremely
interesting, I had no idea these rhymes
I've heard all my life had hidden meanings.
Page 5 of 6« First<23456>