No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

January 9th, 2021 at 5:32:04 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Wizard
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Senate doesn't impeach. They decide a punishment if the House votes to impeach. It takes a 2/3 vote in the Senate that the punishment be removal from office.

That's correct. Although, one important distinction is that it takes a 2/3 vote of the Senators present. Strictly speaking, you wouldn't necessarily need 67 votes if fewer than all 100 Senators were present. Additionally, I think it's possible that, while some Republican Senators would not vote to remove Trump from office; they might not show up to prevent him from being convicted. Unlikely, but possible.

In addition to, "Conviction," leading to removal from office, a Senate can separately take up the matter of disqualifying the person from any future office of trust in the United States Government. Removal from office does not automatically effectuate that; it's a separate vote.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 9th, 2021 at 6:28:08 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Mcconnell just circulated a memo saying basically if the senate is presented with articles of impeachment from the house, the earliest the senate would take it up is one hour after Biden is inagurated.

I think such a trial could still happen even after the president has left office, with the potential punishment for conviction of being banned from holding any future federal office. There still probably aren't enough republican senators for a conviction, either.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 9th, 2021 at 9:43:55 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Dalex64
I think such a trial could still happen even after the president has left office, with the potential punishment for conviction of being banned from holding any future federal office. There still probably aren't enough republican senators for a conviction, either.

How did it go down with Bill Clinton? I recall the vote to remove from office went down on party lines, thus not achieving the required 2/3. But by what mechanism did he get censured?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 9th, 2021 at 10:17:40 AM permalink
Dalex64
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censure_in_the_United_States

Looks like they tried, or proposed, to censure him, but didn't.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 9th, 2021 at 7:16:40 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Pence attending Inauguration
Class
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 9th, 2021 at 7:26:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Hopefully they'll have a little more security for the Inauguration.

Before I thought it was just laughable Trump probably wasn't coming. Now I think it's a gift if he stays away. (and laughable)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 10th, 2021 at 4:18:11 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: rxwine
Hopefully they'll have a little more security for the Inauguration.

Before I thought it was just laughable Trump probably wasn't coming. Now I think it's a gift if he stays away. (and laughable)

Maybe Donny will try to change his mind. He’s an attention whore. Without his Twitter, we haven’t seen anything from him lately. It’s probably killing him inside. lol
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 10th, 2021 at 8:52:24 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
Maybe Donny will try to change his mind. He’s an attention whore. Without his Twitter, we haven’t seen anything from him lately. It’s probably killing him inside. lol

I hate getting suspended
He must be going ballistic unable to tweet
No doubt driving anybody near him nuts as he is probably ranting, raving and drooling just like a spoiled child
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 10th, 2021 at 9:05:57 AM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: terapined
I hate getting suspended
He must be going ballistic unable to tweet
No doubt driving anybody near him nuts as he is probably ranting, raving and drooling just like a spoiled child

You may have seen that joke/fake tweet from FLOTUS saying "I had to hide my phone"

Others have pointed out that he has a press room in his own house. As far as I know, the press would still cover the president if he spoke there.
January 10th, 2021 at 10:17:17 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: ams288

He's tweeted over 26,000 times.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?