1 vote (11.11%)
1 vote (11.11%)

9 members have voted

December 4th, 2016 at 4:37:15 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
I don't know that it has yet but this generation it looks like CA will feel more loyalty towards Mexico than thd USA.

Ironic, because it used to be part of Mexico.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 4th, 2016 at 5:15:53 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The US needs California far more than California needs the US.

Think about that.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 4th, 2016 at 5:39:58 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Nareed
The US needs California far more than California needs the US.

Think about that.

I disagree. California's residents rely on huge federal aid subsidies for roads, schools, the power grid, the water supply, the welfare system, medical insurance, home loans, and social security. The state would not be able to sustain these institutions alone.
December 4th, 2016 at 6:28:52 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
If Colorado and Nevada cut off the water rights, California would dry up and blow away. So much for Calexit
December 4th, 2016 at 7:40:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
December 4th, 2016 at 8:19:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: buzzardknot
If Colorado and Nevada cut off the water rights, California would dry up and blow away. So much for Calexit

They get most of their water from northern California. Water is not a reason they wouldn't secede.
December 4th, 2016 at 8:23:34 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin

That article lists Scotland as the #1 Aspiring Nation. I've always been taught that England, Wales, and Scotland are independent countries, although closely linked. Then again, they all play for the same Olympics team, I believe do not have separate representation in the UN, and seem to me more like states than separate nations. Sorry to go off topic.
December 4th, 2016 at 8:27:27 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
As a guest I am reluctant to say this :

The Colorado River originates more than 1,000 miles (1,600 km) from California in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado and Wyoming and forms the state's southeastern border in the Mojave Desert. Unlike the other California watersheds, essentially all of the water flowing in the Colorado originates outside the state. The Colorado is a critical source of irrigation and urban water for southern California, providing between 55 and 65 percent of the total supply.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_in_California
December 4th, 2016 at 8:40:26 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
[ I believe do not have separate representation in the UN, and seem to me more like states than separate nations.

They have a lot more power than a state does in the USA. They also have a lot more history

England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are not themselves listed in the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) list of countries. But in deference to their individual histories, they are referred to as "countries" within the UK. To be more exact they are called "constituent countrres", which is a term unique to the United Kingdom. Even though Northern Ireland is not part of the Island of Britain, it is still considered correct to refer to all the citizens of the UK as British. It is considered ignorant by British to call all the citizens of the UK as "English". It is an affront to the smaller constituent countries. However, Inglaterre is almost universal in Latin America, and many Americans simply use the term English and the archaic title "Queen of England".

The term "country" carries more dignity that the far more frequently used "autonomous region". Scotland makes it's own currency, but is equivalent in value to the notes printed by the Bank of England. They print a 100 pound note, but I think that is more a statement of individuality.

Many countries have autonomous regions. An autonomous region has much more freedom than a state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_autonomous_areas_by_country
December 5th, 2016 at 6:26:04 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: buzzardknot
The Colorado is a critical source of irrigation and urban water for southern California, providing between 55 and 65 percent of the total supply.

If you meant that to challenge my statement, note is said southern California. I claim northern California water comes from California.