Is the deficit getting worse or better? Or does it matter it anymore

Page 6 of 6« First<3456
December 16th, 2019 at 7:08:59 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: petroglyph
"Taxes are for little people" Leona Helmsly

I'm pretty sure Standard Oil received enough "favors" from the USG along the way.

How about Chevron pay for the protection in all the country's they are operating? And clean up their mess https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills?

http://www.sosyasuni.org/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106%3Athe-worst-case-of-oil-pollution-on-the-planet&catid=17%3Ageneral&Itemid=1

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/chart-showing-taxes-on-workers-have-higher-corporations-paying-less-2019-12-1028762171

"Payroll taxes made up 7.8% of national income in 2018, compared to 0.9% for corporate ones - the widest gulf in almost two decades. This is shown in the chart below."
December 16th, 2019 at 7:14:58 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: SOOPOO
But.... I am a Chevron shareholder. Chevron pays me a dividend.
I'm glad for you personally, but don't think the fed should be propping up the market.

How is your REIT doing?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 16th, 2019 at 7:22:37 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Gandler
https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/chart-showing-taxes-on-workers-have-higher-corporations-paying-less-2019-12-1028762171

"Payroll taxes made up 7.8% of national income in 2018, compared to 0.9% for corporate ones - the widest gulf in almost two decades. This is shown in the chart below."
They need a couple more lines on the graph, one for how much they have printed and one for how much interest is paid on that debt, [to banks].

There are so many different ways to interpret what is going on in "the market", it's like scrambled egg soup. I read somewhere recently that interest on the debt is as much as the defense budget. cray cray

Consider, why not just let the treasury print the money the gov needs? No taxes on anything, then every man for himself. Why have the alphabet tax system written by corporations for corporations, lobbied by lobbyists and passed by congress that will soon revolve into private sector jobs for the same corps they passed laws for?

I think they tax us, just to show us who's the boss. They don't need contributions from work a day Johnny's like us. Just snapping the whip so we don't get uppity.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 16th, 2019 at 9:07:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
. Corporations that are publicly owned should NOT pay taxes!

Why not? Conservative supreme court decided the corporation itself is people, separately from the actual people of the corporation. People pay taxes.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 17th, 2019 at 3:33:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Why not? Conservative supreme court decided the corporation itself is people, separately from the actual people of the corporation. People pay taxes.

People should pay ONCE. Corporations are indeed people with the same rights. People do not pay a tax on the money when they earn it from their employer then again when they take money from the bank to buy something. It is ridiculous that people must pay when their corporate shares earn money then again when they convert that share to money again.
The President is a fink.
December 17th, 2019 at 5:08:51 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

I think I explained it pretty simply. Chevron makes money. They can distribute it to shareholders who then pay taxes on that money. If the government takes it before they distribute it then I won't pay taxes on the money that I never got. Capiche?
December 17th, 2019 at 10:41:23 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
People should pay ONCE. Corporations are indeed people with the same rights. People do not pay a tax on the money when they earn it from their employer then again when they take money from the bank to buy something. It is ridiculous that people must pay when their corporate shares earn money then again when they convert that share to money again.

Doesn’t matter if it’s taxed once or 15 different ways, as the government can get the same amount of money by raising or lowering the overall rate.

You and SOOPOO actually think it would make a difference in what the government rake would be. — that’s the silly part.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 17th, 2019 at 2:25:00 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Doesn’t matter if it’s taxed once or 15 different ways, as the government can get the same amount of money by raising or lowering the overall rate.

You and SOOPOO actually think it would make a difference in what the government rake would be. — that’s the silly part.

Good point. Exactly how the government takes my money will change but in general they want it. A lot of my arguments are more conceptual. I think the concept of taxing the corporations then taxing me on the distributions is just wrong. Just as I think an inheritance tax is wrong. I have paid taxes along the way to accumulate my wealth; I don't think it should be taxed again.
Page 6 of 6« First<3456