Is the deficit getting worse or better? Or does it matter it anymore

Page 4 of 6<123456>
July 30th, 2019 at 5:58:54 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: SOOPOO
LOL!!!!! Didn't try???? Were you hiding under a rock when he tried to eliminate Obamacare?????????
What is that, 600 billion federal dollars?

He failed, but to say he didn't try is just another outright lie you perpetuate about the President.....
I'll let Tanko or Sancho list a bunch of other programs he wanted cut or eliminated as well.....

No, he did not try to balance the budget.
He went ahead with the big tax cut anyway, even after not being able to cut Obamacare.
He went ahead with the tax cuts, even though the forecasts showed that it would not pay for itself with economic stimulus (and it has not)
A whole bunch of wants, that don't even come up for a vote, is hardly trying.

You do not balance a budget by failing to cut a bunch of spending, and then follow it up with cuts to income.

You make ONE budget, passed all at once like all budgets are, that are balanced.

When did Trump, or congress since Trump took office, put forth their budget plan that was balanced?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 1st, 2019 at 10:14:10 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 2nd, 2019 at 7:27:30 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Dalex64
Bill Clinton did it for a time. He had a strong economy to back him up.

Trump had the opportunity, and even made the promise, but didn't even try.

I think the question is does the general population want the deficit reduced with knowledge that it may hurt the economy. The general public is only worried about today, not the future.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 2nd, 2019 at 7:52:48 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
The general public is only worried about today, not the future.

Not Families
Not Me
I have a nephew
I don't want to see his generation saddled with huge debt
I may lean left on social issues
But I have always been a fiscal conservative my whole life and use to vote republican
If the republican party is going to be the spend spend spend party, I see no reason to vote republican
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 2nd, 2019 at 8:20:31 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Quote: terapined
If the republican party is going to be the spend spend spend party, I see no reason to vote republican

That makes perfect sense.

So instead of voting for the spend spend spend republicans you will be voting for the spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend and spend some more democrats.

Yep, you have a good plan.
Let's go Brandon
October 2nd, 2019 at 9:49:07 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Not Families
Not Me
I have a nephew
I don't want to see his generation saddled with huge debt
I may lean left on social issues
But I have always been a fiscal conservative my whole life and use to vote republican

I believe you, but you are the exception.

My thoughts are that suppossedly we raised our kids to be smarter than us. Let them figure it out.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 2nd, 2019 at 10:40:02 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: fleaswatter

So instead of voting for the spend spend spend republicans you will be voting for the spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend and spend some more democrats.

No politician is good at not spending my money. But it is disingenuous of Ed to even imply that Republicans will spend more than Democrats. Just look at the platform of every Democrat running.
October 2nd, 2019 at 11:21:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: fleaswatter

I have yet to see him give any indication he has ever voted Republican or ever would.
The President is a fink.
October 2nd, 2019 at 11:56:24 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
I believe you, but you are the exception.

My thoughts are that suppossedly we raised our kids to be smarter than us. Let them figure it out.

My whole life, I have always supported no deficit
My local city govt should operate within its means with no deficit
My state govt should operate within its means with no deficit
I am in charge of my townhouse homeowners association.
I am authorizing a 15.00 increase in monthly fees because the roofs need to be replaced sooner then we estimated. Been socking away money for 15 years for our roof fund, hundreds of thousands but it wont be enough. We have to live within our means
I see no reason why the federal govt cant be as fiscally responsible as me
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 2nd, 2019 at 12:10:16 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I see no reason why the federal govt cant be as fiscally responsible as me

The reason is quite simple and probably mostly unfixable. The only governments that can get elected are those that bribe the electors with their own money. People are so financially illiterate that they don't understand budgets. Promise something that a voter sees as putting money in his pocket and they never spend the time to see where the money is coming from, its often just their other pocket.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 4 of 6<123456>