Is the deficit getting worse or better? Or does it matter it anymore

Page 5 of 6« First<23456>
October 2nd, 2019 at 12:23:40 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
The reason is quite simple and probably mostly unfixable. The only governments that can get elected are those that bribe the electors with their own money. People are so financially illiterate that they don't understand budgets. Promise something that a voter sees as putting money in his pocket and they never spend the time to see where the money is coming from, its often just their other pocket.

Bill Clinton overall had a balanced budget
I don't like the guy but that's pretty impressive to me
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 2nd, 2019 at 12:42:50 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Quote: terapined
I don't like the guy but that's pretty impressive to me

You forgot to thank the house speaker (at the time) and republican Newt Gingrich for pushing and getting the Balanced Budget Act & Taxpayer Relief Act into law.
Let's go Brandon
October 2nd, 2019 at 12:44:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: fleaswatter
You forgot to thank the house speaker (at the time) and republican Newt Gingrich for pushing and getting the Balanced Budget Act & Taxpayer Relief Act into law.

I wonder if he is upset that Clinton shut the government down to spend more than Newt wanted to spend?
The President is a fink.
October 2nd, 2019 at 1:15:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

You mean the Smoke and Mirrors Act?
It was only 'balanced' because they
moved a bunch of things around.
And it would only stay balanced (which
it didn't) if the rules were stuck to
(which they were not). It's no different
than balancing your wife's checkbook.
It only stays balanced if she strictly
follows the rules.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 16th, 2019 at 11:24:17 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://wallstreetonparade.com/2019/12/new-york-fed-plans-to-throw-2-93-trillion-at-wall-streets-trading-houses-over-next-month-as-new-york-times-remains-silent/

"The chart below suggests that today’s Fed loans, which are not going to commercial banks but to the trading units of those banks, are being used to artificially prop up the stock market"
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 16th, 2019 at 1:09:30 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: Evenbob
It's no different
follows the rules.
What???

He's married?!?!?!
December 16th, 2019 at 2:26:06 PM permalink
petroglyph
December 16th, 2019 at 3:55:34 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Evenbob
It was only 'balanced' because they
moved a bunch of things around.
And it would only stay balanced (which
it didn't) if the rules were stuck to
(which they were not). It's no different
follows the rules.

Isn't that how every budget is balanced? You move things around and adjust payments until you reach a level you can afford. Of course if you stop following your rules your budget will go red too....
December 16th, 2019 at 6:18:38 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: petroglyph
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/12/16/amazon-chevron-and-starbucks-among-91-fortune-500-corporations-paid-0-federal-income

But.... I am a Chevron shareholder. Chevron pays me a dividend. It is them distributing the profits to the owners. I PAY TAXES.... NOT CHEVRON!!!!!
But taxes are collected by the Federal Government. Corporations that are publicly owned should NOT pay taxes! Let the shareholders (me) pay taxes on the dividends, and on the capital gains as well when I sell at a profit.
December 16th, 2019 at 6:36:34 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: SOOPOO
But.... I am a Chevron shareholder. Chevron pays me a dividend. It is them distributing the profits to the owners. I PAY TAXES.... NOT CHEVRON!!!!!
But taxes are collected by the Federal Government. Corporations that are publicly owned should NOT pay taxes! Let the shareholders (me) pay taxes on the dividends, and on the capital gains as well when I sell at a profit.
"Taxes are for little people" Leona Helmsly

I'm pretty sure Standard Oil received enough "favors" from the USG along the way.

How about Chevron pay for the protection in all the country's they are operating? And clean up their mess https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills?

http://www.sosyasuni.org/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106%3Athe-worst-case-of-oil-pollution-on-the-planet&catid=17%3Ageneral&Itemid=1
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 5 of 6« First<23456>