Anoying Things!

Page 2 of 6<12345>Last »
February 2nd, 2016 at 7:04:05 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
It's not just the previews anymore. Well before the show's start time they will start showing "entertainment news" and other ads. Then at the show's start time the turn down the lights and you get more ads and the previews. If you are lucky, the previews are entertaining and interesting and don't seem like just more ads.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 2nd, 2016 at 7:25:05 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Wizard
Does it annoy you when somebody prefaces an opinion on something with "In my opinion." For example, I might say "In my opinion, Marco Rubio has a better chance at winning the GOP nomination than the polls suggest." This is obviously an opinion, so would I really need to add that preface?

Kind of, in the way you're mentioning. I didn't often say that, but since I've been on your forums, if I say something, a lot of times someone would/will say, "what's your source" or "what factual basis do you have for that" or a comment along those lines rather than understanding that I'm just expressing an opinion, so I think it might be a clarifying thing when all the reader/listener has to go by is what's written, not how it's said, facial expressions, etc. I find myself pre-emptively saying IMO sometimes just to avoid that appearance (that I'm saying anything other than my opinion). And I see others using it the same way.

That got convoluted. Sorry. :)
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 3rd, 2016 at 12:53:05 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: beachbumbabs
a lot of times someone would/will say, "what's your source" or "what factual basis do you have for that" or a comment along those lines rather than understanding that I'm just expressing an opinion,

I must admit I say "What's your source/evidence" a lot around here. However, I only do so if somebody is obviously making a statement of fact, that I doubt, like "Reagan always wore a suit in the Oval Office."
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 3rd, 2016 at 1:19:44 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
One thing that really sets me off is seeing people eating in a supermarket. For some reason, there are people who think that it is okay to open a can of soda or grab a candy bar and eat it while "shopping", then ditch the trash on a shelf somewhere. Worst offenders are folks with small kids in tow. I suppose this could explain how the behavior is propagated.
February 3rd, 2016 at 2:05:20 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
One thing that really sets me off is seeing people eating in a supermarket. For some reason, there are people who think that it is okay to open a can of soda or grab a candy bar and eat it while "shopping", then ditch the trash on a shelf somewhere.

I'm okay with that if they take the empty containers/wrappers to the register and pay for them.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 3rd, 2016 at 3:59:39 PM permalink
ChesterDog
Threads: 0
Quote: Nareed
1) Misuse of the terms "your" and "you're," as well as "their" and "they're."...

Anyone who wants some desensitization treatment for this aversion can read
Your the top.
Your the Colosseum.
Your the top.
Your the Louvre Museum.
Your the melody from a symphony by Strauss.
Your a Bendel bonnet. Your Shakespeare's sonnets.
Your Mickey Mouse.
Your the Nile. Your the Tower of Pisa.
Your the smile on the Mona Lisa...
February 3rd, 2016 at 5:22:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ChesterDog
Anyone who wants some desensitization treatment for this aversion can read
Your the top.
Your the Colosseum.
Your the top.
Your the Louvre Museum.
Your the melody from a symphony by Strauss.
Your a Bendel bonnet. Your Shakespeare's sonnets.
Your Mickey Mouse.
Your the Nile. Your the Tower of Pisa.
Your the smile on the Mona Lisa...

Great song, great movie, Night and Day, 1946.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 3rd, 2016 at 7:02:20 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
I loves me my Cole Porter! Fantastic music, especially if you happen upon the Ella Fitzgerald sings Cole Porter songbook. But still great stuff no matter who's singing it.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 3rd, 2016 at 7:06:27 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Quote: Nareed
I'm okay with that if they take the empty containers/wrappers to the register and pay for them.

Agreed. Just the sight of empty wrappers/trash on the shelves sets me off, because I know they're stealing the food (and ultimately from me as the loss gets passed on), but somebody opens a bakery box or candy bar and takes it to the register to be scanned, I figure they're trying to cut the hunger so they don't buy out the store. "They" say, never go shopping on an empty stomach, because you'll buy a bunch of stuff you don't need (whether groceries or other goods).
February 4th, 2016 at 12:39:20 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Pretty funny. Unless you're the neighbor.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 2 of 6<12345>Last »