Simple question?

Page 327 of 328« First<324325326327328>

Thread Rating:

July 18th, 2023 at 4:32:10 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Texts like the Holy Bible contain an interpretation of how our bodily system functions.

Even before the Holy Bible, folks communicated with others how to access the functions, like chakras, meditation, karma, forgiveness, selflessness, etc.

The driving force could be we are destined to become deceased.

So for example, if we lost a child, it would be sorrowful.

If there was no death, then there'd likely be no religion.

So death is associated with conscience.
July 18th, 2023 at 2:14:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
I don't discount karma, as it is almost a principle of "equal and opposite reaction". Just applying it across a broad range. Everything may act like a pendulum on a long arc. You push the pendulum away from you and it eventually swings back. It might happen on a very long scale across much time than just a short distance of a swinging weight.

I used to be a big believer in karma but not anymore. I believe that every physical action has an equal and opposite reaction but karma does not deal with physical reactions. It deals with intent, and intent is not a real thing it's just a fleeting butterfly that you might or might not act on. You can say the action is grabbing a hammer and killing somebody with it but that's already the equal and opposite reaction, you swing the hammer and it kills somebody with the opposite force. Deed is done, there's no other force going to come and 'get you' later for doing that. Karma is wishful thinking that the universe is fair and just. What goes around comes around and all that BS.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 19th, 2023 at 6:52:25 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
I used to be a big believer in karma but not anymore. I believe that every physical action has an equal and opposite reaction but karma does not deal with physical reactions. It deals with intent, and intent is not a real thing it's just a fleeting butterfly that you might or might not act on. You can say the action is grabbing a hammer and killing somebody with it but that's already the equal and opposite reaction, you swing the hammer and it kills somebody with the opposite force. Deed is done, there's no other force going to come and 'get you' later for doing that. Karma is wishful thinking that the universe is fair and just. What goes around comes around and all that BS.

Karma is just a good example of the law of averages.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 19th, 2023 at 7:16:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

Using your mention of a hammer. If a god is an invisible hammer and his action is the effects of the hammer, then both the source and action aren't delivering anything to measure.

Human consciousness is not quite invisible, more opaque, and its action is often visible. I figure anything that produces an action may have some effect beyond what we see which is why I don't rule out something like karma. You don't see that the human body can warp space like a planet but it does. It's invisible. So while I have no evidence for or against some invisible further action, I don't completely rule it out. However, I don't see any evidence of it either.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 19th, 2023 at 12:47:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Using your mention of a hammer. If a god is an invisible hammer and his action is the effects of the hammer, then both the source and action aren't delivering anything to measure.

Human consciousness is not quite invisible, more opaque, and its action is often visible. I figure anything that produces an action may have some effect beyond what we see which is why I don't rule out something like karma. You don't see that the human body can warp space like a planet but it does. It's invisible. So while I have no evidence for or against some invisible further action, I don't completely rule it out. However, I don't see any evidence of it either.

Karma is something people made up because the universe does not seem fair because the universe is not fair. Nature is not fair. Fairness is a human concept based on wishful thinking. For instance, people who say crime doesn't pay have no idea what they're talking about. Crime pays hugely, that's why people do it. The vast majority of crimes of all type, murder included, go unsolved and unpunished therefore people like to believe it must be punished elsewhere and it's just not. A sociopath is a good example of somebody who realizes this and totally takes advantage of it. A sociopath instinctively knows that if he doesn't get punished immediately for what he's done he'll never get punished if he doesn't get caught.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 19th, 2023 at 12:55:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Karma is something people made up because the universe does not seem fair because the universe is not fair. Nature is not fair. Fairness is a human concept based on wishful thinking. For instance, people who say crime doesn't pay have no idea what they're talking about. Crime pays hugely, that's why people do it. The vast majority of crimes of all type, murder included, go unsolved and unpunished therefore people like to believe it must be punished elsewhere and it's just not. A sociopath is a good example of somebody who realizes this and totally takes advantage of it. A sociopath instinctively knows that if he doesn't get punished immediately for what he's done he'll never get punished if he doesn't get caught.

Whatever lets you sleep well at night.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 19th, 2023 at 6:13:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Whatever lets you sleep well at night.

If you believe differently it's because you've been told to or you're just a victim of wishful thinking. There is absolutely zero evidence for karma or for any kind of so-called punishment for any kind of crime you might have committed while you're alive. If there is evidence please present it, but you can't because there isn't. True criminals know this instinctively and they have no worries about the afterlife. They know if it's not punished here it's never going to be punished.

I'm a believer in reincarnation, and for the people who have memories of the time they spent in between being alive and dead there's never any testimony about any kind of judgment or punishment. It's just life continuing on. The concept of fairness and justice is a totally human concept and has no basis in reality.
July 19th, 2023 at 6:32:09 PM permalink
rxwine
You're confusing me leaving the door open for actual belief in it.
July 19th, 2023 at 6:36:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
You're confusing me leaving the door open for actual belief in it.

I never leave the door open it's too time consuming. I just assume unicorns don't exist, if I see one I'll change my mind until then I'm not going to worry about it. Like Karma and Punishment after death, on the face of it it seems ridiculous because it goes against everything we see here. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, spending time worrying about it the last thing I want to do. There are way too many what ifs and because most of them are fictional why worry about any of them.
July 19th, 2023 at 7:21:55 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Weird how a Covid vaccine maker's plant was flattened by a tornado in NC.

Karma?
Page 327 of 328« First<324325326327328>