Simple question?

Thread Rating:

January 7th, 2016 at 5:49:53 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
In regards to Divine Justice you are guilty as well but God's mercy and love for you seen in the sacrifice of Jesus frees you from the punishment of death.

The punishment of death imposed by Jehovah because he made a pact he knew we couldn't keep, or because some mythical remote ancestors did something he didn't like.

I'm not impressed if he decides then to make a show of forgiving us for things we're not responsible for.

But then you assume we buy into every Christian notion, like original sin, the fall of "man," and more. Most atheists don't.

Quote:
It is really the absence of blood that marks the places of those guilty of committing infanticide and slavery.

In the absence of blood, Jehovah is compelled to make up the lack by spilling it.

Quote:
Jesus is Jehovah, God incarnate who truly dies and after three days is risen.

And John Sheridan returned alive from Zahadum after being dead for several days. But no one seems to have watched that show.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 7th, 2016 at 5:56:53 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
Are these really the only answers?

No.

But don't get your hopes up.

Quote:
Could another answer to all three of your questions be that God has a morally sufficient reason to permit evil so that a greater good can be accomplished?

Then he's a sadist.

I told you not to get your hopes up.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 7th, 2016 at 6:00:12 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
The punishment of death imposed by Jehovah because he made a pact he knew we couldn't keep, or because some mythical remote ancestors did something he didn't like.

I'm not impressed if he decides then to make a show of forgiving us for things we're not responsible for.

But then you assume we buy into every Christian notion, like original sin, the fall of "man," and more. Most atheists don't.

Whether you buy into it or not the reality is that human beings find it difficult to do what we know we should do and not to do what we know we should.

We need to be "saved" from this situation whether we understand how we got into it or not. This is what the sacrifice of Jesus does for us.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 7th, 2016 at 6:04:03 PM permalink
FrGamble

Then he's a sadist.

I told you not to get your hopes up.

Why is He a sadist? Is it because evil is permitted? Can you conceive of a reason to allow the possibility of suffering and evil?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 7th, 2016 at 6:34:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote:
In the Jesus myth, god has all the cards,
he sacrificed nothing. You disagree
with this, so you tell me what god gave
up, what did he sacrifice.

FrG, what did god sacrifice in being Jesus
and dying. Obviously nothing. Sacrifice
implies loss, what did god lose. The
answer should be obvious, like when
a Marine throws himself on a grenade
to save his friends. But it's not obvious
at all what sacrifice is involved in the Jesus
myth.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 7th, 2016 at 6:55:39 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
And John Sheridan returned alive from Zahadum after being dead for several days. But no one seems to have watched that show.

I watched it. I have most, possibly all of the episodes on VHS tape.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 7th, 2016 at 7:03:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Since god doesn't break his promises once you get into heaven he can't kick you out. You still have free will there and can act how you please.

I think there is a flaw in the system as described, if that is indeed how it is written.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 7th, 2016 at 7:58:33 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Evenbob
You mean not anymore. One of the primary
reasons for the rise of Protestantism was the
Catholic Church's zeal in the selling of
indulgences. They were in effect selling salvation
for money and Martin Luther had had enough of
it.
I refer to God not the catholic church. They can't sell anything or make any deal for God.
January 7th, 2016 at 9:43:54 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: rxwine
Since god doesn't break his promises once you get into heaven he can't kick you out. You still have free will there and can act how you please.

I think there is a flaw in the system as described, if that is indeed how it is written.

Interesting question. I believe you still have free will in Heaven but having reached the ultimate in happiness and joy - more than we can ever imagine - your will has become so in tune with the Lord that coupled with the lack of temptation and the fullness of Grace there is no sin.
January 7th, 2016 at 9:45:44 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
Sacrifice
implies loss, what did god lose. The
answer should be obvious,

It is; He gave everything up for the love of us.