Emirates advertisement

Page 2 of 5<12345>
October 19th, 2015 at 11:37:14 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Didn't Kobe Bryant recently do an ad for an airline?

As for Aniston's Emirates ad, it struck me as odd, since she isn't usually associated with super premium products.

If Charo did the ad, I think it would have gone over much better.
October 19th, 2015 at 11:41:03 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
This commercial from 35 years ago has a celebrity (but he is most famous for being a kind of caricature of upper class British life). He whispers that Club class , "like all clubs, it's exclusive". But it's witty and not about making you feel bad for being ordinary.

Here is a typical commercial for upper class flying. You are entitled to unimaginable luxury and exclusivity. But the recipients are a no name family that hopefully you can picture as your family.
October 19th, 2015 at 2:01:10 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Ayecarumba
Didn't Kobe Bryant recently do an ad for an airline?

As for Aniston's Emirates ad, it struck me as odd, since she isn't usually associated with super premium products.

If Charo did the ad, I think it would have gone over much better.

Apparently, Kobe's (and Lionel Messi's) ad for Turkish Airways has been named "Youtube Ad of the Decade":
October 19th, 2015 at 2:24:45 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

If Charo did the ad,...

Omfg, I'm dying XD

You just done dated yourself. Coochie, coochie XD
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 19th, 2015 at 2:41:24 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I wonder whether the cultural expectations of progress are subverting the nature of economy vs price when looking at air fares.

Or, in plain English, everything else seems to be getting better, but the flying experience in economy has been getting worse.

Consider the cut-rate HD TV models today are much better, and cheaper, than the top-end models of a couple of decades ago. Cars are more fuel efficient and have more features than they sued to. And so interminably on in most cases.

Compared to economy where hot meals are mostly gone from even medium haul flights, unless you pay for them. Add bag fees, fees for more leg room, fees for choosing a seat, etc. The ultra-low cost operations like Spirit will even charge you for a carry-on bag.

Fares are lower, when adjusted for inflation. Most people don't understand inflation, much less adjustment for same. To them a $450 fare today is more expensive than a $350 fare thirty years ago (it isn't, of course, when adjusted for inflation). Even I need to catch myself sometimes. the other day I looked at economy tickets MEX-LHR and found them to be around $1200-$1500. This seemed incredibly high to me, until I recalled paying about $950 for such a flight in 1985 (with a connection in IAH).

According to this site: http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=950&year1=1985&year2=2015 $950 USD from 1985 are worth $2,100 USD today. Doing the reverse calculation for $1,500 2015 dollars, yields about $680 1985 dollars. That's a hefty reduction, when adjusted for inflation (nearly 28.5%).

Back in 85 I flew a DC-9 to Houston, then a DC-10 to London Gatwick. As I recall, during the short trip we were served a snack and drink, and there was no entertainment at all. On the long flight there were two meals, some audio channels and one movie shown. Today I'm sure I'd get about the same in meals, with less leg room and more entertainment options (for a fee, possibly). I really don't care much about the latter, as I'd have enough podcasts and audio books on hand to last me several such flights.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 19th, 2015 at 2:59:34 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Face
Omfg, I'm dying XD

You just done dated yourself. Coochie, coochie XD

Hehe... Okay, okay... If Pia Zadora did the ad....
October 19th, 2015 at 4:58:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Hehe... Okay, okay... If Pia Zadora did the ad....

I'm afraid you've dug yourself in deeper as Pia qualifies for social security.

Your fans want you to be rich, they just don't want you to look down on their life, or treat it like a nightmare.

What would be funny if Kim Kardashian starts out coming out of her shower in the plane, has a martini at the bar and falls asleep in her first class pod, then waits up and finds herself in coach being offered hot towels and peanuts. She starts yelling "Don't you know who I am" and all the staff starts asking her what talents she has and what are her skills and what has she done for humanity. It ends with her in a silent scream.

Now I would fly Emirates if they did a commercial like that.

Incidentally most people told the CEO of Emirates that nobody puts a shower in a commercial aircraft. It makes a mockery of fuel calculations. Most airlines have clubrooms at the airport so their VIPS can shower after a long flight.

Screw the poor
October 19th, 2015 at 5:10:58 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
[..]and finds herself in coach being offered hot towels and peanuts.

Hot towels in coach. That would really be funny :)
October 19th, 2015 at 5:30:10 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Incidentally most people told the CEO of Emirates that nobody puts a shower in a commercial aircraft. It makes a mockery of fuel calculations. Most airlines have clubrooms at the airport so their VIPS can shower after a long flight.

An onboard shower makes perfect sense, for those who can afford it.

If you're arriving at your destination early in the morning, especially for work, you'll save time if you can shower an hour or two before landing. If you arrive late and will be going to bed, you gain sleep time if you can shower onboard as well; or you're not in a hurry and can put it off til morning, or at your hotel or home (but then it doesn't matter what the plane has or what the airline offers).
October 19th, 2015 at 6:02:26 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
An onboard shower makes perfect sense, for those who can afford it..

There are 14 first class suites on the Emirates 380 and two showers. You get 30 minutes to take your shower, but you get 5 minutes of water which you can turn on and off. A prominent timer assures you you won't get left with soap in your hair unless you are very stupid. There are two brands of toiletries and heated floors. There is a bench in the shower in case of turbulence but no seat belts.

You get fruit and honey at your seat après- shower.

No more nightmares
Page 2 of 5<12345>