Emirates advertisement

Page 1 of 51234>Last »
October 18th, 2015 at 9:45:57 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

People have reacted badly to Emirates ad featuring Jennifer Aniston. Of course it is ridiculous to take it personally as it is comparing first class to economy class.
October 18th, 2015 at 11:30:43 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Why would they react badly. Is the ad lying?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 18th, 2015 at 1:17:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Why would they react badly. Is the ad lying?

I thought about that. For the most part airlines in the USA don't use celebrities to endorse upper class flying. They show nameless tired business people being pampered. Celebrities run the risk of personalizing to people that they can't afford the service being pitched.

Other cultures don't worry about being pitched by celebrities. "Dannii" Minogue (born 20 October 1971) is an Australian singer-songwriter and she was the original pitchwoman for "The Residence" which is the most luxurious seats on commercial aviation. Presumably the pitch is aimed at London-Abu Dhabi-Singapore residents who were the first to receive this service.

I actually don't even remember being pitched by a celebrity for an airline. Robert Morely was more of a character than a celebrity.
October 18th, 2015 at 1:39:53 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Leonard Nimoy and the other guy for Western Airlines:

https://youtu.be/CzR7xa3KTaQ

Not a premium product.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 18th, 2015 at 1:45:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Whoever wrote the captain's dialogue should have done a second draft:

https://youtu.be/bKqQgNZylLw

It's really nice. But I can't help but wonder, what did tickets cost back then?
October 18th, 2015 at 2:15:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin
I thought about that. For the most part airlines in the USA don't use celebrities to endorse upper class flying.

Why not. Matthew McConauhey is the
spokesman for the luxury car Lincoln,
and nobody is raising a fuss. What's
the difference.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 18th, 2015 at 2:59:17 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Leonard Nimoy and the other guy for Western Airlines:
Not a premium product.

Matthew McConaughey shilled for the Lincoln which is $35K-$50K.

That may be a premium product but it people are much more likely to spend $50K on a car than $7K on a plane ticket. One is 2X-3X what normal people spend, and the other is 10X-12X the base product.

Americans are also a little more accepting of celebrities shilling for expensive products, but less so of expensive services. Mostly because more Americans are comfortable with spending money on things than on services.

Note that I said "shilling", not wearing or being seen. I think celebrities are given lots of things so they are photographed with them. That is the softer sell. They just get more upset at services.

It's like that photo Giselle Bundchen sent of her breastfeeding. You could look at that photo and see it as Giselle trying to be honest, and admitting that her beauty is anything but natural. But most Americans saw it is a high handed slap in the face.
October 18th, 2015 at 3:16:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
This is a dumb celeb commercial for
a premium product.

October 18th, 2015 at 3:45:09 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Americans are also a little more accepting of celebrities shilling for expensive products, but less so of expensive services.

<roll-eyes>

Isn't it Obvious?

You have Jennifer Aniston 1) Doing something many people do, flying, and 2) patronizing the poor sods in economy who have it so bad. I guarantee an ad with Aniston marveling wide-eyed at the amenities in first class wouldn't get a negative response from regular people (I'm not blaming her, she's an actress playing a character, and undoubtedly she cashed a very large check for that ad).

As for the Bundchen photo, she seems to be complaining while being tended to almost literally hand and foot by three stylists. Compare this to the harried working woman who has to get her kids and herself ready in the morning and still manage to look presentable.
October 19th, 2015 at 10:42:50 AM permalink
Nareed
One other thing:

There isn't that much difference between a luxury car and an average car these days. Things like power windows, A/C and so on are not that expensive any more. But if we dig deeper, a luxury car isn't that much more comfortable than a regular one, nor does it drive any differently.

Further, given the size of the used car market, it's not impossible to get a ten year old luxury car for an affordable sum. Contrariwise, try to get a used business class or first class ticket ;)

Flying is something many people do, some of them rather often. The experience in economy has been getting "worse" in recent decades, but it's become more affordable as well. travel in business and first classes has become a whole lot better than it used to be (stated simply: lie-flat seats and personal in flight entertainment; the rest hasn't changed much). And it's also more affordable as well, but only for a few people.
Page 1 of 51234>Last »