Hey FrGamble!

October 6th, 2015 at 9:37:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64

As for the science of reincarnation, like the something-from-nothing theories, while providing an explaination, .

No, the science has actual evidence that
points to reincarnation. Over 50 years
of it and getting more all the time.
Not proof, evidence. Nobody has
ever proved tobacco causes cancer,
but does anybody in their right mind
dismiss the overwhelming evidence
that it does?

If there were 300 years of overwhelming
evidence for reincarnation, the Church
would scoff at it because it completely
negates the whole point of Christianity.
That you get one little pitiful life and
this is it. Prince, pauper, leper, born
with no legs or no arms, die when your
2 from a pox, it doesn't matter. If
reincarnation were true (and it is),
Christianity is a meaningless farce,
perpetrated on the world for the
power of those in control. Which it
obviously was..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 6th, 2015 at 10:44:39 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
The "science of reincarnation" seems kind of like an oxymoron to me.

Anyway, more troublesome is your incorrect understanding of what the Church understands in regards to same-sex attraction. As usual you are wrong about what the Church believes. It makes me realize that all your vicious and prejudiced words against the Church or Christianity are coming from ignorance and misinformation, some of which is not your fault some of which seems to be willful ignorance on your part.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 7th, 2015 at 12:20:45 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
The "science of reincarnation" seems kind of like an oxymoron to me.

LOL, no doubt. It's poison to everything the
Church stands for. Your being mild. It's
evil incarnate, the truth usually is to religion.

Quote: FrGamble
Anyway, more troublesome is your incorrect understanding of what the Church understands in regards to same-sex attraction. .

I understand it perfectly. You can be a member
as long as you don't practice Gay sex. Is the
same true for your non Gay members? If the
Church believes being Gay is not a choice, why
does it have retreats for Gay priests to try and
talk them out of it.

From the current catechism:

"Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that 'homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered'."

Being Gay isn't a natural state, it's grave depravity?
How can you be born gravely depraved? How can
you go through life, through no fault of your own,
being accused of grave depravity for natural feelings
you have for another person. Imagine what that must
feel like.

And you don't view the Church as wicked and evil.
Amazing how people can squeeze their eyes closed
to the truth and think themselves saintly, when they
are just close minded and unable to think for themselves.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 7th, 2015 at 4:56:20 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Evenbob
No, the science has actual evidence that
points to reincarnation. Over 50 years
of it and getting more all the time.
Not proof, evidence. Nobody has
ever proved tobacco causes cancer,
but does anybody in their right mind
dismiss the overwhelming evidence
that it does?

If there were 300 years of overwhelming
evidence for reincarnation, the Church
would scoff at it because it completely
negates the whole point of Christianity.
That you get one little pitiful life and
this is it. Prince, pauper, leper, born
with no legs or no arms, die when your
2 from a pox, it doesn't matter. If
reincarnation were true (and it is),
Christianity is a meaningless farce,
perpetrated on the world for the
power of those in control. Which it
obviously was..

Like you said, there is overwhelming evidence that smoking causes cancer. There is more evidence that supports man as a significant cause of global warming than there is for reincarnation.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 7th, 2015 at 5:12:09 AM permalink
Dalex64
You will probably like this site, Bob: http://markhumphrys.com/science.religion.html

The bits about who believes or believed that the bible is literal truth, and when they believed it, is interesting.

On http://ncse.com/religion/creationists-popes-statement there is a study quoted that claims in 1997, 46% of Americans believed that 10000 years ago, man was specially created.

This is another example of the conflict of faith and tradition with science. I think this is a very bad thing, and organized religion is damaging our society with their clinging to scriptures and tradition.

At least the Catholic Church has shown some willingness to change their views because of science - heliocentrism, evolution, and biblical literalism - the stories of genesis, adam and eve, and noah and the flood, the sun standing still, and others, are just that - stories.

Maybe it is just because FrG is here so you are able to tell him things directly that you can't directly say to people suh as the members of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Please excuse any typos in this message, it is difficult to type on one of these small onscreen keyboards and even more difficult to edit. I'll fix things when I am on my computer.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 7th, 2015 at 8:28:52 AM permalink
Evenbob
Like you said, there is overwhelming evidence

Evidence is evidence, the amount doesn't
matter. You cannot dismiss actual scientific
evidence of something just because there
is lack of volume compared to something
else. Real evidence gives you pause, it makes
you say, 'hmm', maybe I was wrong.

Like evidence of god. There isn't any. Not
real evidence, not proven repeatable evidence.
There is only speculation, which is no evidence
at all. But when you have a few kids, then
scores of them, them hundreds, then thousands,
unrelated, from all over the world, telling the
same provable stories of being somebody
else before they were born, it gives any rational
person pause. Or it should.
October 7th, 2015 at 8:42:50 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
At least the Catholic Church has shown some willingness to change their views because of science - heliocentrism, evolution, and biblical literalism - the stories of genesis, adam and eve, and noah and the flood, the sun standing still, and others, are just that - stories.

Some willingness is exactly right.

They don't deny evolution. But they don't quite accept natural selection as the major mechanism driving evolution. I mean, they still claim humanity was created in their god's image. And I assume it goes further and their god actually created every plant, animal, bug, parasite, bacterium and virus in existence (BTW does it not seem odd for an all-powerful deity to take billions of years at the task?)

If we assume further the Christian god also created every rock, lake, river, stream, creek, sea, ocean, volcano, mountain, valley, plain and every last speck of dirt or dust, a thought arises: how come we've been studying these things and how they've changed in time, yet we have not detected even the slightest hint of a deity at work on them? How come we can find provable explanation based on natural law and random chance alone?

You may as well claim as the Biblical literalists (creationists) do and say Jehovah created the universe a few thousands of years ago, but inserted evidence of cosmological, stellar, planetary, geological, chemical and biological evolution in it for some reason.

Maybe he's trying to sell it fraudulently as a genuine antique universe at some in some extra-dimensional pawn shop? You'd think a universe billions of years old would fetch a higher price than one merely thousands of years old :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 7th, 2015 at 11:00:21 AM permalink
Dalex64
Here's another person who gives christians a bad name/ gets them made fun of: http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/this-woman-just-changed-harry-potter-for-her-kids-seriously?utm_source=Tickld&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=harrypotter&ts_pid=2&utm_content=inf_4_381_2
October 7th, 2015 at 11:08:02 AM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: Evenbob
Evidence is evidence, the amount doesn't
matter. You cannot dismiss actual scientific
evidence of something just because there
is lack of volume compared to something
else. Real evidence gives you pause, it makes
you say, 'hmm', maybe I was wrong.

Yes, the volume and quality of the evidence absolutely does matter! It is exactly why scientists repeat their tests over and over again - to establish its validity, and confirm its veracity.

If people stopped probing and testing things, we'd still believe in things like phrenology (study of bumps on the head) and spontaneous generation.

They have found the higgs boson, but they are going to repeat the experiment to verify it.

Your evidence of reincarnation looks startlingly similar to the evidence that Jesus was the son of god.
October 7th, 2015 at 11:10:10 AM permalink
Dalex64
I forgot in my "making christians look bad" post to update everyone on the end of the world today.

http://patch.com/pennsylvania/radnor/world-will-end-wednesday-so-says-philly-bible-group-0?utm_source=social&utm_medium=hs&utm_campaign=