Defund Planned Parenthood

May 20th, 2016 at 2:32:46 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: ams288
You might want to tell the scientists that.

You might want to check with a scientist or two. Moral arguments aside, logic says conception is when life starts.
The President is a fink.
May 20th, 2016 at 2:36:25 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
All life, human and animal (oh and plants) is indeed miraculous and extraordinary. At conception that unseen human genome guides the development of a unique unrepeatable human person through a similar process as much of life takes. At no time could the human embryo ever become anything else other than another human being. All that is needed is time and care. Amazing and awesome!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 20th, 2016 at 2:41:47 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: FrGamble
Don't be silly.

Based on science, we all know that life begins at conception.

In your world, doesn't the bible trump science?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 20th, 2016 at 2:49:31 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
All life, human and animal (oh and plants) is indeed miraculous and extraordinary.

Logically, something that happens millions of times a day every day for billions of years is far, far, far, far from being extraordinary, much less miraculous.

BTW, what does non-living sperm and ova need with mitochondria? You dodged that question.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 20th, 2016 at 3:08:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Does the Catholic Church consider Neanderthals to have existed and been human enough to have a soul?

If so, I'm kind of puzzled about how they would treat a fossil record which becomes more and more complete.

If more and more intermediary discoveries occur it becomes more and more difficult to exclude the next closest relative or create the artificial declaration that one thing is human and one thing is not.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 20th, 2016 at 5:20:00 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
You might want to check with a scientist or two. Moral arguments aside, logic says conception is when life starts.

The idea of you mansplaining to anyone what scientists think on any issue is laughable to me. Sorry.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 20th, 2016 at 5:23:38 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: terapined
In your world, doesn't the bible trump science?

Absolutely not, in fact in regards to natural things it is quite the other way around.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 20th, 2016 at 5:27:06 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: rxwine
Does the Catholic Church consider Neanderthals to have existed and been human enough to have a soul?

If so, I'm kind of puzzled about how they would treat a fossil record which becomes more and more complete.

If more and more intermediary discoveries occur it becomes more and more difficult to exclude the next closest relative or create the artificial declaration that one thing is human and one thing is not.

Indeed it is difficult to declare such things, such as when life begins. Being that it is so important a question wouldn't prudence and reason say that we should tread with great caution. In regards to the question at hand, if a heart beat begins after 18 days and a full human genome is present at conception it seems that reason would have us be very careful and conservative in this question. Saying that life only begins at birth or viability is a dangerous and unreasonable position.
May 20th, 2016 at 5:27:47 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: ams288
The idea of you mansplaining to anyone what scientists think on any issue is laughable to me. Sorry.

Translation: I'm sorry I brought up the idea of science because it is clearly against me on this issue.
May 20th, 2016 at 5:43:07 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Translation: I'm sorry I brought up the idea of science because it is clearly against me on this issue.

Errrr..... YOU brought up the idea of science. Might wanna go back and re-read the thread.

I made a joke about the hypocrisy of the right wingers' social views. I didn't bring up science.

Personally, I don't care what anyone thinks science says on this issue.

IMO, up until the fetus is viable, the woman has the right to get rid of it. Until the fetus is viable, it's basically just goo.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman