the death of coal?

October 13th, 2019 at 11:35:45 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DRich
Lucky you, my two air conditioning units are at least 20 years old. I am sure new units would definitely reduce the bill. Like I said, I keep my house at 78 which most people would consider warm. I have no idea how much higher my bill would be if I kept it at 73.

The Department of Energy estimates savings of about 1 percent for each degree of thermostat adjustment per 8 hours,
January 30th, 2020 at 11:34:54 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://www.asiatimes.com/2020/01/article/germanys-overdose-of-renewable-energy/

It seems Germany has built to much alternative energy to be useful. Good article.

"Unfortunately, most of the time the actual amount of electricity produced is only a fraction of the installed capacity. Worse, on “bad days” it can fall to nearly zero. In 2016 for example there were 52 nights with essentially no wind blowing in the country. No Sun, no wind. Even taking “better days” into account, the average electricity output of wind and solar energy installations in Germany amounts to only about 17% of the installed capacity."

"Overdose of renewables?
Today, in order to guarantee stable baseline power and fill the gaps left by its fluctuating wind and solar generators, Germany is forced to rely on (1) CO2-spouting coal and natural gas power plants; (2) its remaining handful of nuclear plants, which it plans to shut down by 2022; and most notably (3) importing electricity from other European nations."
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 11th, 2020 at 1:14:29 AM permalink
petroglyph
https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a30472835/crescent-dunes-solar-plant/

"Bloomberg reports that a planned $1 billion solar plant was out of date and obsolete before it could even be completed. The Crescent Dunes plant opened outside of Las Vegas in 2015, when its technology was already behind, and the solar boom since then has completely eclipsed it. Now, the closed and abandoned plant is the subject of huge ongoing lawsuits."

Another billion down the solar rat hole even before the lawsuits are settled.
February 11th, 2020 at 10:08:17 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a30472835/crescent-dunes-solar-plant/

"Bloomberg reports that a planned $1 billion solar plant was out of date and obsolete before it could even be completed. The Crescent Dunes plant opened outside of Las Vegas in 2015, when its technology was already behind, and the solar boom since then has completely eclipsed it. Now, the closed and abandoned plant is the subject of huge ongoing lawsuits."

Another billion down the solar rat hole even before the lawsuits are settled.

Better solar is the best of all bad reasons.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 2nd, 2020 at 2:01:54 PM permalink
petroglyph
No reason for fear of EMP: https://www.lewrockwell.com/2018/02/david-hathaway/emp-hoax/

"Proving widespread damage to civilian systems is key to obtaining funding for EMP research. Civilians pay the taxes, so they must be in fear.

Starfish Prime “EMP”

One of the rationales for Starfish Prime was that previous high-altitude tests did not involve a large enough array of instrumentation to collect EM data. The problem is that, from an EMP-production perspective, it was a flop.

The Hawaiian incident is still dredged up to this day as the only definitive example of civilian electrical infrastructure damage from a nuclear EMP. The “proof” of the EMP damage is in the form of a revered U.S. funded study that ignores facts."

"They manufactured a workable scenario with invented data and mushy science, but then concluded it should have caused widespread circuit failures."
June 24th, 2020 at 3:25:00 PM permalink
petroglyph
https://www.wfmz.com/at-least-15-dead-in-southern-mexico-wind-farm-feud-killings/article_cc943ec3-51bf-551b-91d5-7834bb211287.html

Wind farms are dangerous.
June 24th, 2020 at 4:03:39 PM permalink
petroglyph

From a different angle:
September 24th, 2020 at 1:17:50 PM permalink
petroglyph
https://stopthesethings.com/2020/09/20/ships-ahoy-giant-diesel-fuelled-ship-engines-solution-for-australias-renewable-energy-crisis/

Australia having to install huge diesel engines to back up intermittent power from windmills .

"Australia’s obsession with chaotically intermittent wind and solar has left it with a power pricing and supply calamity. It’s a disaster that was as predictable, as it was avoidable." my bold

added; "We have a simple choice. We can have the cheap, the reliable, and the plentiful electricity that not only makes life functional but indeed possible at the most basic level. Or we can have the (short-lived) feel-good fantasy of so-called renewable energy, now apparently with batteries.

Renewable is of course a synonym of “useless” or “doesn’t work” — apart from hydro, which has essentially become the energy equivalent of “don’t mention the war”.
September 24th, 2020 at 2:11:48 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
https://stopthesethings.com/2020/09/20/ships-ahoy-giant-diesel-fuelled-ship-engines-solution-for-australias-renewable-energy-crisis/

Australia having to install huge diesel engines to back up intermittent power from windmills .

"Australia’s obsession with chaotically intermittent wind and solar has left it with a power pricing and supply calamity. It’s a disaster that was as predictable, as it was avoidable." my bold

added; "We have a simple choice. We can have the cheap, the reliable, and the plentiful electricity that not only makes life functional but indeed possible at the most basic level. Or we can have the (short-lived) feel-good fantasy of so-called renewable energy, now apparently with batteries.

Renewable is of course a synonym of “useless” or “doesn’t work” — apart from hydro, which has essentially become the energy equivalent of “don’t mention the war”.

Posting an article from a web site that hates wind power
ok
I decided not to read the article because I dont believe it will be fair and balanced.
Got a more independent source?

I believe as tech advances, we will use more and more wind power because advances in tech will make it cheaper and more reliable
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 24th, 2020 at 4:10:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: terapined
believe as tech advances, we will use more and more wind power because advances in tech will make it cheaper and more reliable

Good point. Look how many decades and human work hours have been dedicated to development of more efficient burning of fossil fuels compared to green energy.

(Kenarman inserts some sort of rebuttal here)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?