The Insanity of the United States Postal Service

December 5th, 2018 at 8:12:47 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: beachbumbabs
Ah, hahaha! Maybe so! I do think of Face every time I order a package. The USPS seems to always get hung with humping the last mile.

It's quite ridiculous. They all (private carriers) hire like mad and pack dudes in the van. We're running on eternal skeleton crew and firing people for teachable moments because they dared applied for transfer. Yet we're where the buck stops. And there is no "can't". And we ALWAYS get it done. Don't look now, but this seething cauldron of hate and vitriol seems to be a good bed to grow a pride plant. Feeling pretty good so far (mentally/emotionally) and am somehow ending every week with some of the greatest hockey I've ever played. Kinda weird how a few chemicals in the brain can completely change your entire life.

'Tis a bit horrifying, though, the amount of abuse in the USPS. I can, for free, easier find enough OxyContin to kill me than I could a dollar cash for the vending machine. Coke parties in the lav at 0600, edibles being passed about during return runs, it's wild. It's like college, only the drugs are free, are done in the day, and you get paid to show up. Oh, and the nubile teens have been replaced with the fiercest f#$%ing grandma's you'd ever want to meet. I'm trying to adopt one of them at my store; a finer warrior I've never met. For those worried, I haven't touched the coke and I've no love for the Ox. Feeling like I'm 12 again is kinda nice, but I don't like seeing my pulse and I'm wayyy too nice on it. Like, annoyingly so. Plus I'd like to s#$% more than once a week (=p) and these things wreck you. I basically try to nibble 5mg off the 20mg pill and that does me fine on the bad days, I just wish they weren't so small and chewy. Oh, and I smoke more weed than Marley ever could, but that's for home. Just don't tell EB or AZD; we're all supposed to be stupid and lazy and I wouldn't want to shatter their worldview =p

Gotta tell you, though, it's fueling my BANANA-ness to the point I'm just about anti-cap. Really pushing me into the teachings of Uncle Ted (still minus the bombs), who while being perhaps little more than a well spoken Luddite, really resonates with most of what I believe. Not that I ever considered myself a "treehugger", but with my Native/Amish hybridization mixing with my conservationist upbringing,... it seriously about makes me cry somedays. Add in my location in the 'burbs and the never ending sprawl, watching woodland after swampland after grassland being turned asunder for another cookie cutter HOA development where more suburbanites will receive another 23 catalogs a day so they can CONSUME CONSUME CONSUME… well, Denial, Anger, Bargaining,...guess I'm to Depression. And I'll go ahead and call that progress =)

If I ever make it to Acceptance, someone here must put a bullet in my brain, for then I will truly be lost.

And as f#$%ed up as it is coming from an anti-theist turned atheist,....can we PLEASE put Christ back in Christmas?

Quote: Luke 12:15
Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions."
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 5th, 2018 at 8:19:55 AM permalink
Face
Quote: AZDuffman

One day I hope to build a greenhouse with a rocket-mass stove fueled by junk mail.

Ha! Hope that's for heat and not for power, cuz based on the waste at my store, you'd put Three Mile Island out of business.
December 5th, 2018 at 8:30:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
Ha! Hope that's for heat and not for power, cuz based on the waste at my store, you'd put Three Mile Island out of business.

Yes, for heat. Read about one guy got himself on every junk mail list and heated a house all winter with LVM. (hope I did that right!)
The President is a fink.
December 5th, 2018 at 8:32:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman

'Tis a bit horrifying, though, the amount of abuse in the USPS. I can, for free, easier find enough OxyContin to kill me than I could a dollar cash for the vending machine. Coke parties in the lav at 0600, edibles being passed about during return runs, it's wild. It's like college, only the drugs are free, are done in the day, and you get paid to show up.

WOW! Are you serious?

I will say when I was delivering meds the other night I saw a USPS LLV delivering at 1830! Actually thought of you when I saw it.
The President is a fink.
December 5th, 2018 at 9:39:01 AM permalink
Face
Quote: AZDuffman
WOW! Are you serious?

I will say when I was delivering meds the other night I saw a USPS LLV delivering at 1830! Actually thought of you when I saw it.

Oh yeah, I was still out. In at 0600 with the only goal to be done with mail by dark (~1630), which I usually just make it. Then load back up and go back out with all the parcels that couldn't fit the first run. Yesterday was almost a 1900 day, but I was sick as a dog, all fever and bleh. Only had one 2100 day, most are right around 0600-1800. With much fortune and thanks, we've been pretty dry so far. Get some snow in the mix and y'all won't hear from me again until February lol.

But yeah, the drug use is shocking, even to me. Our (rural) cases are separated from the city side (we call it the Plantation; have "separate drinking fountains", city carriers "build a wall" around us, it's hilariously offensive), and the one city carrier near me is a complete head case. Combat vet, seriously borked in the head, and a MAD coke fiend. I mean MAD. And an alcoholic. Just alternates pounding up and pounding down. Gets in fights, actual physical ones, with people on the street. Freaks out, like literally freaks out and stalks, any Muslim that enters the building. Every brown person with a beard gets immediately transferred, just for him, cuz he bugs the f#$% out. Openly and loudly racist about Arabs and Mexicans. He's the only person that can hold a candle to my violent outbursts, and he takes it there. Has vividly and openly described exactly how to kill everyone in the building, more than once.

I don't want to give the wrong impression, because I do hear that many offices are perfectly nice places to work. Mine, though,... I stopped with the stories because they're just too insane and too frequent. At least monthly I tell a supe directly to go self fornicate, I've been in 5+ minute long screaming matches with the PMaster to the point the combat vet had staged up and was ready to tackle me because he thought I was gonna start swinging. I've mellowed much in the last few months, but daily (and I do mean DAILY) outbursts from me are certainly par for the course. Just non stop streams of profanity at a very imposing volume, never ending threats of violence, I go there and just lose my brain every day. Forget corrective action, the only result from any/all of them has either been management tip toeing around me, or fellow carriers / other supervisors just nodding and saying "it needed to be said". It's like the most f'ed up Lord of the Flies, and I'm Ralph AND Jack.

Least it's not boring =p
December 5th, 2018 at 10:24:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman

But yeah, the drug use is shocking, even to me.

I have only seen minor drug use at one place I worked at 30 years ago, that was guys smoking dope on breaks. I wonder if I just never see it or am just such an anti-social square I just miss it.

Might be a blessing in the later?
The President is a fink.
December 6th, 2018 at 6:11:48 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Face, I like your description of the other mad man. If he was writing about you, what would he say? Also, how would the Post Master describe you?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 6th, 2018 at 6:29:43 AM permalink
Face
Starting the day with an office suicide (not my own).

Thought I was joking about this place?
December 6th, 2018 at 6:49:34 AM permalink
AZDuffman

Thought I was joking about this place?

Seriously? And I thought my morning of chasing 50+ oil lease assignments to dentists and widows was bad.....
The President is a fink.
December 6th, 2018 at 10:00:13 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

In the office? Did they take anybody with them?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.