Science and God

June 6th, 2015 at 7:26:32 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Those are all fine questions that you can't use science to answer.

You also can't use science, logic, and reason to prove that god exists. All of your "evidence" sounds good and reasonable, but reasonable isn't proof, and sounds good isn't a fact.

And, as I keep pointing out, the pool of evidence keeps shrinking as we discover the truth.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
June 6th, 2015 at 7:35:19 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Dalex64

You also can't use science, logic, and reason to prove that god exists. All of your "evidence" sounds good and reasonable, but reasonable isn't proof, and sounds good isn't a fact.

I'm NOT trying to prove God's existence in the sense of a mathematical equation, only in that is reasonable. This reasonable requirement is all we normally use for what we choose to believe in or act upon.

Quote:
And, as I keep pointing out, the pool of evidence keeps shrinking as we discover the truth.

I really don't understand how the amount of evidence for God shrinks as science discovers things.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 6th, 2015 at 7:49:13 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I've already told you. Science shows that things are not caused by god or the supernatural. Less and less can be attributed to god as a cause.

The only things left will be the things that we can not prove or disprove the existence of, such as souls or god himself.

The problem here, of course, is the amount of religious dogma which has now been shown to be incorrect.

You can go through the various books that people were convinced contain the absolute truth and just cross stuff out. I'm not limiting this to the bible.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
June 6th, 2015 at 8:01:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
I'm NOT trying to prove God's existence in the sense of a mathematical equation, only in that is reasonable. .

Witches were reasonable explanations for lots
of things. Santa is a reasonable explanation
for kids as to where gifts come from. The
Tooth Fairy sounds very reasonable. All
sorts of supernatural beings are reasonable
if you suspend your disbelief far enough.
Even god is reasonable.

It's amazing that for a being that is supposed
to be omnipresent, all powerful and all knowing,
that he is so darned hard to pin down. God
should be the easiest sale on earth, it should
be a 'duh' question. Does god exist? Well, DUH.

But it's not apparent and it's not reasonable.
It's non apparent and unreasonable. You think
atheists are pretending not to believe. We're
not, really, we truly are not pretending.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 7th, 2015 at 8:05:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Let's remember that science is limited as to its scope and won't be able to answer the big questions of life like why are we here? What is the meaning and purpose of life? Is there a God? etc.

So why do you keep trying to use scientific facts to prove a god?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 7th, 2015 at 11:37:01 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Nareed

Many Christians are doubters, they
need proof outside the circular
reasoning that is the Bible. So they're
desperate for science to verify the
things they so desperately want to
believe.

People need god, so they think him
into existence. It drives them crazy
that others don't need him. and seem
to lead perfectly ordinary lives without
the ever present guilt that goes with
being a Christian. Every time they see
Jesus still hanging on the cross, there's
that pang of guilt over what he did
'for them'. When I see him there, I
always think 'hang in there, dude'. Heck
of a 'point of sale' display you got there..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 7th, 2015 at 5:20:37 PM permalink
FrGamble

For the umpteenth time I am not trying to use science to do something it cannot do - such as prove God exists, or disprove Him for that matter. All I'm pointing out is that scientific facts can be used as evidence for the possibility of God. It doesn't prove anything in a mathematical sense, but hopefully you don't need that type of proof to believe in something.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 7th, 2015 at 5:35:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
It doesn't prove anything in a mathematical sense, but hopefully you don't need that type of proof to believe in something.

People who need to believe in god, like
priests and the clergy, will see everything
as evidence of god. If you want and need
to believe something, you will find the
evidence. Look at people who think they
were abducted by aliens. They will point
out evidence up the ying yang that space
aliens are among us. Evidence to them, not
to anybody else.
June 7th, 2015 at 6:48:03 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
For the umpteenth time I am not trying to use science to do something it cannot do - such as prove God exists, or disprove Him for that matter.

I'm making this snide remark out of habit: you could have fooled me.

Seriously, it is what you appear to be doing.

Quote:
All I'm pointing out is that scientific facts can be used as evidence for the possibility of God.

Fair enough. Except I don't see any. For the Nth time: we don't know means we don't know. it doesn't mean "Amon (or Amen or Amun, or however one decides how to put vowels on a written language without them) did it."

Your insistence that the fact the universe came into being requires a creator, is more a personal opinion than a reasoned argument. And ti will continue to be so until we find, if we can, what existed before the universe, or whether anything did. And further whether the conditions existed for our universe to sprout, so to speak, or to hatch, or whatever it is the universe did.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 7th, 2015 at 7:07:12 PM permalink
FrGamble

Fair enough.

Your insistence that the fact the universe came into being requires a creator, is more a personal opinion than a reasoned argument. And ti will continue to be so until we find, if we can, what existed before the universe, or whether anything did. And further whether the conditions existed for our universe to sprout, so to speak, or to hatch, or whatever it is the universe did.

Fair enough.

I do hope you will turn that mirror on yourself as well and recognize that your insistence that there is no God is more a personal opinion than a reasoned argument, at least when it comes to using science. To move further on then in the discussion of God we have to leave science and perhaps this thread. To make reasoned arguments about God, which science cannot speak on, we must talk of philosophy and the arts.