Gigafactory

November 16th, 2018 at 12:46:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
As far as specs, there's all sorts of added features you get on high end models that you don't get on lower end. Whether you consider them useful or worth it is individual. Do I need an intermittent wiper which can adjust to rain so light it normally makes the slowest speed wiper squeak badly? No, but it's nice. Electric seats that adjust in so many ways, I was able to skip a hotel night and sleep 3 hours at a rest stop. Low tire pressure warnings which show up on your dash. Warning lights that show when in a car is passing you in the blind spot. And you've probably seen cars that can parallel park on their own.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 5th, 2018 at 6:08:29 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Volkswagon announced that its next generation of internal combustion vehicles will be its last as it is concentrating on electric vehiclhles and expects all internal combustion vehicles to falde away.
December 5th, 2018 at 8:04:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Volkswagon announced that its next generation of internal combustion vehicles will be its last as it is concentrating on electric vehiclhles and expects all internal combustion vehicles to falde away.

Auto news I watch daily says nobody is planning anything new after the mid-2020s.

My thought is too many MBAs running around the places reading too many predictions. GM/Ford are going all-in on "mobility" vs. selling cars. Revolutions rarely happen as planned.
The President is a fink.
December 5th, 2018 at 2:20:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Auto news I watch daily says nobody is planning anything new after the mid-2020s.

My thought is too many MBAs running around the places reading too many predictions. GM/Ford are going all-in on "mobility" vs. selling cars. Revolutions rarely happen as planned.

I think one of the big problems with the new car business, is that if you innovate and nobody buys you can get hurt big, but if a competitor innovates and it sells well then you get caught flatfooted on sales for that year. You could get hurt either way if you guess wrong.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 5th, 2018 at 3:16:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
I think one of the big problems with the new car business, is that if you innovate and nobody buys you can get hurt big, but if a competitor innovates and it sells well then you get caught flatfooted on sales for that year. You could get hurt either way if you guess wrong.

Innovation is tricky. The Prius while "innovative" makes zero engineering or financial sense, yet it sells. The Volt is a better system but is headed for the scrap heap. Lee Iacocca said that you cannot be too far ahead of the customer.

Car companies get their pick of grads with the best grades. Usually those people are students who just give the "right" answers, not those who learn the streets. Auto execs seem to be reading that "millennials don't like cars" and are sold on subscriptions and ride-hailing as the future of the industry. I think they will learn the hard way that people want to go NOW and do not want to use a car someone else left a mess.
The President is a fink.
December 5th, 2018 at 7:10:42 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Auto execs seem to be reading that "millennials don't like cars" and are sold on subscriptions and ride-hailing as the future of the industry.

The average cost rose of driving is 60.8 cents per mile, or $9,122 per year, based upon 15,000 miles of annual driving.

I suspect that the only people who would spend less than $9000 per year on car shares are people who have learned to cycle or walk when most people would take a vehicle.

Quote: story
I had a friend 25 years ago who worked for GEICO as a claims adjuster. Presumably he was deeply familiar with the cost of vehicle ownership. He had a corporate automobile that he was permitted to drive around for personal use as long as he paid for personal mileage. His immediate superior told him not to pay for too many miles or it would make everyone else look bad, just claim enough to keep the IRS from investigating.

The obvious restrictions were that he could never get a DUI in a company car and he couldn't drive it out of the metropolitan area on a personal trip. I said to him he had a gift from the corporate gods, as the cost of a modest rental car a dozen times a year to go on an out of town trip was a pittance compared to auto ownership, insurance, fuel and maintenance.

The nice thing about renting a car once a month, is that you can go up or down (present day Enterprise prices)
$35.57 Economy Mitsubishi Mirage or similar
$35.57 Compact Nissan Versa or similar
$38.57 Intermediate Hyundai Elantra or similar
$40.57 Standard Kia Soul or similar
$40.57 Full Size Toyota Camry or similar
$40.57 Intermediate SUV Toyota RAV4 or similar
$42.30 Compact SUV Ford Eco Sport or similar
$45.57 Standard SUV Hyundai Santa Fe or similar
$50.56 Premium Nissan Maxima or similar

$62.46 7 Passenger Minivan Dodge Grand Caravan or similar
$99.99 Premium Crossover Dodge Durango or similar
$159.00 Full Size Hybrid Ford Fusion Hybrid or similar

He bought a beater anyway, as he couldn't bring himself to rent a car every couple of weeks.
January 2nd, 2019 at 9:59:39 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Total Tesla deliveries, 2015: 50,580 vehicles
Total Tesla deliveries, 2016: 76,230 vehicles
Total Tesla deliveries, 2017: 103,737 vehicles
Total Tesla deliveries, 2018: 245,240 vehicles

Wall Street is disappointed by the 2018 numbers, so shares are down about 7% as I write this.
January 2nd, 2019 at 10:07:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: reno
Total Tesla deliveries, 2015: 50,580 vehicles
Total Tesla deliveries, 2016: 76,230 vehicles
Total Tesla deliveries, 2017: 103,737 vehicles
Total Tesla deliveries, 2018: 245,240 vehicles

Wall Street is disappointed by the 2018 numbers, so shares are down about 7% as I write this.

Just heard sales are down last part of 2018 and they are offering discounts. Have to wonder how they do when supply meets the initial demand surge.
The President is a fink.
January 2nd, 2019 at 6:01:02 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Just heard sales are down last part of 2018 and they are offering discounts. Have to wonder how they do when supply meets the initial demand surge.

1st Quarter deliveries: 34,494
2nd Quarter deliveries: 53,339
3rd Quarter deliveries: 83,500
4th Quarter deliveries: 90,700

Yeah, I'm not sure why they're lowering their prices by $2,000. Their official explanation is that the federal tax credit for customers was slashed in half as of January 1st, from $7,500 to $3,750, and Tesla has to compete against other automakers who are still able to offer the full $7,500. That explanation might be true, or it might not.

Deliveries of the Model 3 to Europe and China will begin in February 2019, so even if demand has plummeted in the U.S., demand is extremely strong overseas.

Norway just set a new record: of the 147,929 vehicles sold in 2018, 46,092 of them (31%) were fully electric.

But Norway only has 5.3 million residents, so in the grand scheme of things, they're not so important. In China, there were 140,000 electric cars registered in just one month (November 2018.)
January 3rd, 2019 at 2:39:41 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: reno

Yeah, I'm not sure why they're lowering their prices by $2,000. Their official explanation is that the federal tax credit for customers was slashed in half as of January 1st, from $7,500 to $3,750, and Tesla has to compete against other automakers who are still able to offer the full $7,500. That explanation might be true, or it might not.

I also heard they have yet to deliver one at the $35,000 base price.

I saw a review on YouTube. Very weird looking inside. Everything is controlled by one screen, which looks like someone tacked it on in their garage. These new screens are a big pet peeve of mine. Some look integrated, the rest look awful.

To even turn on the headlights you have to go to the right part of the screen. The car does not even have a regular AM/FM radio at this point! The screen is such that gadget freaks will love it but the rest of us will hate it.
The President is a fink.