Support for Israel?

Page 3 of 3<123
November 21st, 2012 at 5:42:36 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Quote: AcesAndEights
The direction this thread has turned reminds me a lot of the Feast of Alvis. That is some hilarious social commentary right there!

"Who the hell is non-Alvian?"

" 'Vengeance is mine,' sayeth Alvis. Then he shot that guy right in the frickin' face!"

(Note: usually I can't find this clip online; that link will probably be taken down soon. Although Vimeo tends to not really listen to complaints.)
Now that was funny! Crappiest animation ever but it's the writing that counts in these things.
November 27th, 2012 at 7:34:40 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
Wish I did.

This article is about why Asian-Americans overwhelmingly voted for Obama, but the author had this to say about the Jewish vote:

"For obvious reasons, Jews have an acute sensitivity to discrimination; this may explain their continuing affinity for liberal policies, which does not seem to be in their economic self-interest. Furthermore, historically anti-Semitism in the United States was private rather than governmental; for example, government agencies employed Jewish lawyers in great number at a time when Jews found it hard to get jobs in leading law firms. Big government was a friend, and apparently the friendship is still reciprocated."
November 27th, 2012 at 8:44:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
While Republicans are more suportive of Israel, this support includes people in the religious right who, and I'm dead serious, need Israel to be under Jewish rule because that's how the Bible says the second coming of Jesus has to take place.

That's a huge turnoff for Jews, and not just for Jews.

While many Jews may be turned off by the motivation, it is financial and political help nonetheless. It certainly beats the centuries of anti-semitism by the Christian church.

Anthony Ashley Cooper, 7th Earl of Shaftesbury KG (28 April 1801 – 1 October 1885) was the an active restoration lobbyist. 'The inherent vitality,' he wrote, 'of the Hebrew race reasserts itself with amazing persistence. Its genius, to tell the truth, adapts itself more or less to all the currents of civilization all over the world, nevertheless always emerging with distinctive features and a gallant recovery of vigor." Shaftesbury told his biographer, Edwin Hodder, that belief in the Second Advent, "has always been a moving principle in my life, for I see everything going on on in the world subordinate to this great even." Hodder stated that since the return of the Jews was required for the Second Advent, Shaftesbury "never had a shadow of a doubt that the Jews were to return to their own land...It was his daily prayer, his daily hope. 'Oh pray for the peace of Jerusalem!' were the words engraven on the ring he always wore on his right hand.' (Tuchman, Bible and Sword p 178). Lord Shaftesbury lobbied for the idea of return of the Jews with Prime Minister Palmerston and his successors in the government and was incidentally instrumental in the considerable assistance and protection against oppression that Britain hence­forth extended to the Jews already living in Palestine.
November 29th, 2012 at 2:48:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
There's a couple things wrong with this video, except maybe the overall premise. (and it kinda made me laugh too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1weDjpXhCE
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 30th, 2012 at 1:44:26 PM permalink
98Clubs
Threads: 2
As far as do we support Israel?

Two Words: Iron Dome
Two more words: You're welcome
last two words: no Troops.
There are four things certain in life... Death, Taxes, the Resistance to them, and Stupidity.
Page 3 of 3<123