Support for Israel?

Page 2 of 3<123>
November 21st, 2012 at 7:00:59 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
Wish I did.

The Republican Party and The Fox News Channel are 2 separate organizations with separate agendas and objectives. Nevertheless, in the minds of Americans they both represent modern twenty-first century conservatism.

So Fox News is doing the Republican Party no favors when they air their annual “War On Christmas” segments. (If you don’t get cable, check out some clips on YouTube.) Every December, Fox wastes valuable airtime complaining about retail store clerks who say “Happy Holidays” not “Merry Christmas.” They complain about how the ACLU prevents churches from erecting Nativity Scenes on government property, or how pandering liberal politicians insist on calling a Christmas Tree a euphemistic “Holiday Tree” or how the ACLU sues a school district whose elementary school children sing “Silent Night” at a school music performance. Et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseam.

The “War on Christmas” segment isn’t anti-Semitic. But it’s tone-deaf. It’s rude. It alienates Jews, it makes Jews feel unwelcome.

Democrats have embraced multiculturalism, while Republicans have ridiculed it.

So now conservatives have a new conundrum: they want to complain about multiculturalism, while simultaneously complaining that 80 percent of Hispanics, 70 percent of Jews, 80 percent of Asians, and 90 percent of blacks refuse to vote for Republicans.

If conservatives really want to force Jewish children attending public school to sing religious Christmas songs, fine. Be my guest. But don’t be shocked when their parents vote for the Democrat.
November 21st, 2012 at 7:45:24 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: reno
The Republican Party and The Fox News Channel are 2 separate organizations with separate agendas and objectives. Nevertheless, in the minds of Americans they both represent modern twenty-first century conservatism.

So Fox News is doing the Republican Party no favors when they air their annual “War On Christmas” segments. (If you don’t get cable, check out some clips on YouTube.) Every December, Fox wastes valuable airtime complaining about retail store clerks who say “Happy Holidays” not “Merry Christmas.” They complain about how the ACLU prevents churches from erecting Nativity Scenes on government property, or how pandering liberal politicians insist on calling a Christmas Tree a euphemistic “Holiday Tree” or how the ACLU sues a school district whose elementary school children sing “Silent Night” at a school music performance. Et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseam.

The “War on Christmas” segment isn’t anti-Semitic. But it’s tone-deaf. It’s rude. It alienates Jews, it makes Jews feel unwelcome.

Not sure where you have been, but there has been a War on Christmas since the early 1980s. And Christians are allowed to be offended by it. BTW: Most blacks are Christian. And I doubt many Jews are offended by the FNC segments.

Quote:
Democrats have embraced multiculturalism, while Republicans have ridiculed it.

No, Democrats have embraced Balkanization and ridicule of anything white, Christian, and male. Or maybe you didn't see the floor vote at the DNC? We are supposed to be American first and foremost. When you put "multiculturalism" first you set in motion the destruction of society.
The President is a fink.
November 21st, 2012 at 8:47:30 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
While Republicans are more suportive of Israel, this support includes people in the religious right who, and I'm dead serious, need Israel to be under Jewish rule because that's how the Bible says the second coming of Jesus has to take place.

That's a huge turnoff for Jews, and not just for Jews.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 21st, 2012 at 9:11:50 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
And I doubt many Jews are offended by the FNC segments.

Fox's coverage is relatively mild. But seriously: do a Google search for "Jewish War on Christmas". Yuck. There's a lot of ugly anti-Semitism out there, and conservatives should be distancing themselves from it.

Do you have a better theory as to why 70 percent of Jewish Americans voted for Obama?
November 21st, 2012 at 10:58:54 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Not sure where you have been, but there has been a War on Christmas since the early 1980s. And Christians are allowed to be offended by it. BTW: Most blacks are Christian. And I doubt many Jews are offended by the FNC segments.

They are doing a pretty bad job of the war if it's going for 32 years and it still happens every year...
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 21st, 2012 at 11:18:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit
They are doing a pretty bad job of the war if it's going for 32 years and it still happens every year...

Actually they are doing good. Look at how many Christmas things have become "holiday" things. I've had supervisors afraid to even say "merry Christmas."
The President is a fink.
November 21st, 2012 at 11:21:38 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Actually they are doing good. Look at how many Christmas things have become "holiday" things. I've had supervisors afraid to even say "merry Christmas."

Meh, don't care how other people want to celebrate Christmas... I continue to do so in my own way. I suggest you do so yourself, and if you fear other people taking offence at "Merry Christmas" then, well, the fear mongers have won.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 21st, 2012 at 1:22:31 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
makes me wonder again why Jews vote Democrat so heavy.

One very simple motivation is that Jews fear persecution, thus like liberal governments.

The shadow of European experience looms large in the US. We might feel that by now there should be less fear of persecution, but you have to remember Germany did not top the list of anti-Semitic countries before 1930. If you asserted earlier in the century your belief that a terrible thing was going to happen to European Jews starting in mid/late 30s, a common guess would have been that it would start in France before Germany. So there is no assumption that "it can't happen here."
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 21st, 2012 at 3:42:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit
Meh, don't care how other people want to celebrate Christmas... I continue to do so in my own way. I suggest you do so yourself, and if you fear other people taking offence at "Merry Christmas" then, well, the fear mongers have won.

I don't fear anyone taking offense. I a just tired of every institution taking their offense seriously while ignoring the vast majority that does not. Last place I worked talked a outs a winter solstice celebration. So if is ok to talk about a drunken roman holiday no key cares about but heaven forbid we talk about Christmas which almost everyone does.

Shoot. Did I mention heaven? That wouldn't be allowed by the pc police either.

Kind of glad they laid me off but sadly the corporate world seems to all follow the same pc nonsense.
The President is a fink.
November 21st, 2012 at 5:00:43 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
The direction this thread has turned reminds me a lot of the Feast of Alvis. That is some hilarious social commentary right there!

"Who the hell is non-Alvian?"

" 'Vengeance is mine,' sayeth Alvis. Then he shot that guy right in the frickin' face!"

(Note: usually I can't find this clip online; that link will probably be taken down soon. Although Vimeo tends to not really listen to complaints.)
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
Page 2 of 3<123>