Support for Israel?

Page 1 of 3123>
November 19th, 2012 at 9:14:30 AM permalink
SONBP2
Threads: 1
My wife asked me the other day if I had seen the news about Israel and Hamas militants, I replied "no," but if Israel is at war then that means we are basically at war. I have expected news that US troops were ready to be deployed into the region, but haven't heard anything yet. What was interesting though was the comment President Obama made yesterday, “We are fully supportive of Israel’s right to defend itself from missiles landing on people’s homes and workplaces and potentially killing civilians, and we will continue to support Israel’s right to defend itself." To me that doesn't sound like we support Israel at all. What country wouldn't we support if faced with similar circumstances as Israel? Doesn't every country have the right and duty to defend itself from foreign attack?

I am not a political or military buff by no means, but with Israel as our allie, and our history of coming to their aid, I was perplexed by Obama's statements.

Any thoughts?
November 19th, 2012 at 9:40:58 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: SONBP2
I have expected news that US troops were ready to be deployed into the region, but haven't heard anything yet.

And you won't hear anything ever. America has never sent troops to fight in Israel. The one exception being the 1991 Gulf War. Back then the US Army set up Patriot missile batteries to shoot down Scud missiles launched by Iraq. The move was political, to keep Israel from getting involved in that war.

Quote:
What country wouldn't we support if faced with similar circumstances as Israel?

Israel.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 19th, 2012 at 10:34:33 AM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
I'm certain that Israel can squish the Gazans without the United States' assistance. I'm nearly certain that the aforementioned assistance is not wanted by Israel either. If Israel finds itself in need of actual help then I'm sure that it will be provided.
November 19th, 2012 at 11:34:19 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
The US-Israel relationship fascinates me. Recently (over the past week or so) I've sort of re-gained an interest in US political history and world politics. I think it was a result of the election and my frustration at the lack of people willing to support a 3rd-party candidate.

As someone who has almost ignored history and politics for large portions of my life, I have a lot of catching up to do.

Tippecanoe and Tyler too!
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
November 19th, 2012 at 12:03:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
No, Obama does not support Israel and he never has. The statement was probably the absolue minimum he could make and not be impolitic.

Most on the left support the Palestinians over Israel (ironic given where the Jewish vote goes.) Most on the right support Israel. IMHO this is the reflexive reaction of the left to "support the underdog" while the right takes the view that Israel is an ally and a democratic nation.

The Palestinians do not want peace, and as such do not get it. This will not end until one side or the other is reduced to having to beg for mercy. In our world that will not happen.
The President is a fink.
November 20th, 2012 at 3:55:05 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
No, Obama does not support Israel and he never has. The statement was probably the absolue minimum he could make and not be impolitic.

Most on the left support the Palestinians over Israel (ironic given where the Jewish vote goes.) Most on the right support Israel. IMHO this is the reflexive reaction of the left to "support the underdog" while the right takes the view that Israel is an ally and a democratic nation.

Here are the numbers:

"Per the CNN/ORC poll, which mirrors other recent data, 51% of Democrats sympathize mostly with the Israelis, and 16% with the Palestinians, in the conflict at large. This compares to an 80% v 5% split between Israelis and Palestinians respectively among Republicans. You might be wondering how there could be a 29-point split between Democrats and Republicans on pro-Israel sympathy, in contrast to only an 11-point difference between Democrats and Republicans on pro-Palestinian sympathy. That is chiefly because Democrats are far more likely to say their sympathies are with both Israelis and Palestinians (6%) or neither (14%). Put another way, Democrats aren't really any more sympathetic to the Palestinians than Republicans are, so much as they sympathize with both sides or don't care much for either."
November 20th, 2012 at 5:55:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: reno
Here are the numbers:

"Per the CNN/ORC poll, which mirrors other recent data, 51% of Democrats sympathize mostly with the Israelis, and 16% with the Palestinians, in the conflict at large. This compares to an 80% v 5% split between Israelis and Palestinians respectively among Republicans. You might be wondering how there could be a 29-point split between Democrats and Republicans on pro-Israel sympathy, in contrast to only an 11-point difference between Democrats and Republicans on pro-Palestinian sympathy. That is chiefly because Democrats are far more likely to say their sympathies are with both Israelis and Palestinians (6%) or neither (14%). Put another way, Democrats aren't really any more sympathetic to the Palestinians than Republicans are, so much as they sympathize with both sides or don't care much for either."

Heckuva split, and makes me wonder again why Jews vote Democrat so heavy. Clearly the right has some strong beliefs here as they are not doing it for votes. Seperate just liberal and conservative from the parties and I would be interested to see the split. OWS's local slum here for example had a lot of signs that were such thinly-disguised anti-sematic it was hard to believe.
The President is a fink.
November 20th, 2012 at 7:46:41 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
...makes me wonder again why Jews vote Democrat so heavy.

In 2012, 69 percent of Jewish Americans voted for Obama. That's down slightly from 2008, when 78 percent of Jewish Americans voted for Obama.

Do you have any theories to explain this, Mr. AZDuffman?
November 20th, 2012 at 7:54:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
In 2012, 69 percent of Jewish Americans voted for Obama. That's down slightly from 2008, when 78 percent of Jewish Americans voted for Obama.

Democrats smell like communists.
Republicans smell like Nazis (it's probably their xenophobia type all or nothing attitudes about things. Jews found out how easy it is to label people as enemies, and sadly remember how that can turn out)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 20th, 2012 at 8:12:05 PM permalink
AZDuffman

Do you have any theories to explain this, Mr. AZDuffman?

Wish I did.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 3123>