Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

December 9th, 2016 at 6:47:13 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I am a big fan of Eric Clapton and the band Cream
Ginger Baker was the drummer
Just watched the Documentary "Beware of Mr Baker"
What an unusual cool weird angry dude.
He's now living in South Africa
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 9th, 2016 at 8:58:12 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I started getting messages in my computer screen saying I've used 80% of my data for the month. We started binge watching Breaking Bad, it's great because we have never watched it before other than few episodes.

When you start watching Netflix, do your IP's make you pay extra for more data time?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 9th, 2016 at 10:24:36 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
I started getting messages in my computer screen saying I've used 80% of my data for the month. We started binge watching Breaking Bad, it's great because we have never watched it before other than few episodes.

When you start watching Netflix, do your IP's make you pay extra for more data time?

Not that I am aware of
I work from home and my employer pays for my internet
Of course I also use it personally to watch movies
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 9th, 2016 at 11:31:56 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

Most plans have a maximum data limit. Generally the more you pay the more data you get and unlimited is likely an option. Your IP's website or your invoice should give you the limit on the plan you have. Some IP's just automatically take you up to the next plan level, some hose you and charge you by the mb which could get expensive.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 9th, 2016 at 12:37:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: kenarman
Most plans have a maximum data limit.

Mine is 350mb per month, I generally use
about 250. They told me HD uses 4 times
the amount that standard uses, so I stay
away from HD.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 9th, 2016 at 1:49:05 PM permalink
petroglyph
Thanks. Got hold of my provider and they said I had up to 250 per month and I was about over that limit. Also, they would have let me get by on my first overage as my use is usually well under that. Afterwards they would charge 3-3.50 for each mb over the limit. I could have been ringing up 10.00 per day or more plus my regular service, ouch. They told me I could try to go in to settings and get the lowest definition and that would use much less data, which I have done. I believe I am now using .03mb per hour versus 3-7mb per hour for HD or Super HD.

I always just leave my computer on during the day and never thought about the Netflix using so much more data. Use and learn I guess.
December 9th, 2016 at 2:44:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
They told me I could try to go in to settings and get the lowest definition and that would use much less data, which I have done. I believe I am now using .03mb per hour versus 3-7mb per hour for HD or Super HD.

Turn it too low and you'll get a lot
of buffering and a crappy pic. The
sound won't mesh with the action.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 9th, 2016 at 5:11:19 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Captive

New Netflix documentary series. Each episode details a different real life hostage situation with interviews, news footage and reenactments.

I watched the first episode. Very good. I'll be watching more. Hoping they didn't put the best one up first.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 9th, 2016 at 5:58:04 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Evenbob
Turn it too low and you'll get a lot
of buffering and a crappy pic. The
sound won't mesh with the action.
Whats the best way to go then, buy more data or try middle speed? I'm about out of data and its early in the month? I signed up for Netflix never thinking there would also be more charges from the IP.
December 9th, 2016 at 6:03:48 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Whats the best way to go then, buy more data or try middle speed? I'm about out of data and its early in the month? I signed up for Netflix never thinking there would also be more charges from the IP.

Me, I hate data limited plans, especially at home. Shop around and see what you can get. You may be surprised.

Who knows. Your New Year's Resolution may be 4K ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER