Insane Mode

Page 4 of 5<12345>
May 17th, 2015 at 4:49:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Another full electric -- 0-60 in 3.3 secs.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 17th, 2015 at 12:48:11 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Musk says his engineers have found a way to reduce the acceleration time from zero to 60 miles per hour of the performance version of Model S to 2.8 seconds. Musk calls it "mind-blowing." It's an improvement on the previous fastest time of a little over 3 seconds.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/07/17/tesla-model-s-ludicrous-mode/30305127/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 17th, 2015 at 7:21:06 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: reno
But Tesla is promising to introduce the Model III for $35k in 2017. Are they bluffing? With $5 billion on the line for their joint venture with Panasonic to build the world's biggest battery factory in Nevada, I don't think they're bluffing. I think they're serious about selling an affordable mass-produced electric to compete with Nissan and GM.

I think you are overstressing that word "bluffing". Take a given gasoline car
20 mpg City 22 mpg Combined 25 mpg Highway
fuel tank 60 liters = 15.85 gallones

So I expect this car's range on the Highway to be 15.85 gallons *25 mpg = 400 miles (or 317 miles of city driving). That's not bluffing, but in the dead of winter with a couple of tries to start the car, some time to warm up the car, and a less than stellar driver it is possible I may get closer to 200 mile range. But if I left home with a full tank of gas, and the entire DC metropolitan area locks up and it takes me 10 hours to get home at 5 mph, I will still make it on a full tank of gas.

I can honestly say that my car has a 400 mile range, but that number is big enough that I can still handle the worst commuting day of the decade.

Tests on the Nissan Leaf indicated that on a really horrible day, you can only get 30 miles on a full charge. The average range of 84 miles is the official range promoted for the Nissan LEAF®. But the statistical deviation means the low numbers can be a problem in extreme circumstances.

I think Tesla will have a vehicle for some lower price tag than advertised today. It may even be $30K-$35K stripped of any possible option. And they may say that it gets 200 mile range (but that will also be under ideal circumstances). But you will still run out of charge on a bad day on some limited access highway. As the writer pointed out earlier, you might run out of gas also, but it only takes a long walk and a can of gas to start your car again.
July 17th, 2015 at 8:14:16 PM permalink
rxwine
So batteries are the part that need to be kept warm in really cold weather?

Not sure why you couldn't generate heat -- series of coiling copper tubing from a small fuel source (not necessarily gasoline.) If you only need the heat around the batteries.

Another possibility might be batteries in several inches of foam insulation that could be ventilated if necessary by constant monitoring.

Then all you need is internal heating of the cabin. I suppose you could drive in a electrically heated suit instead of heating the whole car, though that would be less than ideal. Cars could be insulated better. Double pane glass and more secure sealing. More cost for that though.

But some of this cost may be offset by 3d printing.
August 17th, 2015 at 7:09:16 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Nightmare 500 mile ride in Britain in an EV

It was supposed to be a scenic overnight tour starting and stopping in London in an EV . The route didn't just stay in big cities where there are more options, but it was meticulously planned to make up for the limited options. The tour featured three malfunctioning charging points, two rides in a tow truck and an exhausted drive back to London in the wee hours of the morning. Everything is detailed in the article.
August 18th, 2015 at 11:34:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Sounds like the early days of auto touring
when you had to bring a tent, food and
water, extra gas, enough tools for a garage,
and three spare tires.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 18th, 2015 at 7:08:42 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Sounds like the early days of auto touring...

The first day sounded like a nightmare. They didn't give an exact time but it sounded like they planned for three intermediate stops of about an hour to make a trip just over 200 miles with lots of side trips. They had three problems (1) rapid charging station at dealership didn't open for 90 minutes after they arrived, (2) they hit a lot of cows in the road and were on empty when they hit their third station. It was shut down and the company had discontinued phones upport on Saturdays. So they had to be towed. (3) In the local inn which was their destination the innkeeper failed to turn on the machine at midnight.

I would have called that a terrible day, but the second went a million times worse. They had planned about 9 hours to go 300 miles. The total trip took 23 hours and the companion left in the middle to ride a train for an appointment. So the driver was insanely exhausted when he got home.

British Airways longest trip is 13 hr 40 min (BA 245) from London-Heathrow to Buenos Aires-Ezeiza (6,904 miles). So it sounds like he spent 36 hours driving in one weekend for a 500 mile trip.
August 19th, 2015 at 7:12:14 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
British Airways longest trip is 13 hr 40 min (BA 245) from London-Heathrow to Buenos Aires-Ezeiza (6,904 miles).

Does anyone else see the irony in this?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 31st, 2016 at 3:15:10 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
The tradeoff, of course, is if you want to drive more than 200 miles then you have to wait hours to fill er up.

This week, Tesla announced the release of the Model S P100D with Ludicrous mode — nothing more than a simple upgrade to a 100kWh battery — and the world went wild. Why? Because this upgrade enables the Model S to travel from 0 – 60 mph in 2.5 seconds, giving it the fastest acceleration of any currently available production car (the slightly quicker Ferrari LaFerrari and Porsche 918 Spyder are no longer available with that coveted New Car Smell).

Like all electric vehicles, that more powerful battery delivers 100% of its dual-engine torque immediately, pushing the four-wheel-drive saloon past records heretofore the domain of million-dollar supercars.

But while the world is focusing on 2.5 seconds, a very small number, there’s another, much larger number that is ultimately more important — one that pushes Tesla into the domain of mid-sized family sedans. And we’re talking about range — 315 miles of it.

The Model S P100D saloon will start at £114,200 and the Model X 100D sport-utility vehicle begins at £117,200, and older Teslas can upgrade their battery packs for a mere £15,000.

1 £=$1.31297
£114,200= $150,000
August 31st, 2016 at 5:08:43 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
Does anyone else see the irony in this?

As ironic as flights between PEK and TPE
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 4 of 5<12345>