Insane Mode

Page 3 of 5<12345>
January 30th, 2015 at 9:49:52 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: reno
Fake ecomentalism? Leaving aside the debate over whether global warming is real or imagined,

It's called "Climate Change" now. ;)

Quote:
surely we can agree that there are a handful of cities on this planet (Beijing, Mexico City, Delhi) where the local air pollution is intolerable.

Actually the air quality in Mexico City has improved in recent years. The government likes to take full credit, but the fact is newer cars are more efficient and less polluting.

To give the evil cabal their due, however, some works to reduce traffic may have worked (most just shift traffic jams elsewhere), and the requirement to verify emissions twice a year does help. not because the standards set, but because now most vehicles get tuned twice a year.

If they removed 99% of all useless speed bumps (which is all of them), and stopped allowing random lefty pressure groups from blocking whatever streets they want at any time they want, things would be much better.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 30th, 2015 at 10:21:41 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Face
And on the subject of global warming, I tend to lean toward "yes". While I won't / can't speak toward scale, I find it impossible to believe we have no effect, and further believe that "playing it safe" is always the wise decision.

Well put. The denialists have convinced themselves that if the world incinerates 7,800 million tons of coal annually (i.e. 21 million tons daily!) that this CO2 will magically disappear into the atmosphere without having any effect whatsoever on our air. Zero effect. C'mon 7,800 million tons is an enormously large number. (And that's just the coal. It doesn't include the 4,100 million tons of petroleum burned annually.)
January 30th, 2015 at 11:06:57 AM permalink
Nareed
It's very easy to criticize. For example:

Well put. The denialists have convinced themselves that if the world incinerates 7,800 million tons of coal annually (i.e. 21 million tons daily!) that this CO2 will magically disappear into the atmosphere without having any effect whatsoever on our air. Zero effect.

Alarmists believe 7,800 million tons of coal produce 7,800 million tons of CO2. That's preposterous, and shows ignorance of basic chemistry.

See?
January 30th, 2015 at 11:40:03 AM permalink
reno
Quote: Nareed
Alarmists believe 7,800 million tons of coal produce 7,800 million tons of CO2. That's preposterous, and shows ignorance of basic chemistry.

In 2013, global CO2 emissions due to fossil fuel use (and cement production) were 36 gigatonnes (GtCO2) But the 36 gigatons of CO2 didn't have any effect, it magically disappeared. It probably never even existed to begin with.
January 30th, 2015 at 11:59:48 AM permalink
Nareed
In 2013, global CO2 emissions due to fossil fuel use (and cement production) were 36 gigatonnes (GtCO2) But the 36 gigatons of CO2 didn't have any effect, it magically disappeared. It probably never even existed to begin with.

Oh, good!

Seriously, I've no idea what the amounts are. But one ton of coal, when burned, won't produce one ton of co2. It will produce other things, such as various pollutants, including CO, plus some other things like water vapor. That was my whole point.

And any volcano produces more CO2 than all of the rest of the world put together.
January 30th, 2015 at 12:47:20 PM permalink
reno
Quote: Nareed
And any volcano produces more CO2 than all of the rest of the world put together.

It's pointless for me to tell you the numbers because if you think the climate scientists are all in on a giant conspiracy, you'll also tell me that volcano geologists are in on the hoax.

Nevertheless here goes: estimates of annual CO2 emissions of all the world's volcanos combined range from 0.13 to 0.26 billion tons. Even the highest end of the range is dwarfed by anthropogenic emissions of 35 billion metric tons in 2010.
January 30th, 2015 at 1:00:31 PM permalink
reno
Quote: AZDuffman
I am waiting for the stock to crash back to reality.

You might be right about the stock price. Even in quarters sympathetic to Tesla, there is unease about the company's disturbing trend towards non-transparency. The market for a $90k vehicle is very finite.
January 30th, 2015 at 1:36:02 PM permalink
Nareed
It's pointless for me to tell you the numbers because if you think the climate scientists are all in on a =http://www.google.com, you'll also tell me that volcano geologists are in on the hoax.

Oh, not at all. I confine all theological discussions to Christianity.
January 30th, 2015 at 1:49:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

That is fake ecomentalism.

So you're going to spend all your time
writing lonnnnnnng posts, anything to
get out of the TR. I get it, I got it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 30th, 2015 at 3:35:26 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
So you're going to spend all your time
writing lonnnnnnng posts, anything to
get out of the TR. I get it, I got it.

LOL not at all. Been editing video all day, actually. That alone is probably a 1-3 day project. Then there's the other's pics. I've no control on how fast they get them to me.

I could just write several pages of text, of course. But that's no fun, right? 'Specially since I went to such great lengths and endured considerable pain to capture some hotties, as requested =)

And on the subject of global warming, I tend to lean toward "yes". While I won't / can't speak toward scale, I find it impossible to believe we have no effect, and further believe that "playing it safe" is always the wise decision.

Well put. The denialists have convinced themselves that if the world incinerates 7,800 million tons of coal annually (i.e. 21 million tons daily!) that this CO2 will magically disappear into the atmosphere without having any effect whatsoever on our air. Zero effect. C'mon 7,800 million tons is an enormously large number. (And that's just the coal. It doesn't include the 4,100 million tons of petroleum burned annually.)

For some, sure. Many denialists are every bit as idiotic as the eco-posers. But then the question comes - if we have an effect, what is it?

Can we possibly "ruin" nature? Sure, our motoring could result in the death of a great many things. But so does farming. And construction. And lawn care. And a host of other things completely off the radar, things which might even have overwhelming approval. Even if we actively tried, could we wipe Oklahoma off the map with tornadoes? Could we turn the UK into a desert? Could we drown Holland out of existence? Could we turn the Sahara into a fertile, tropical paradise?

I'm not convinced, not even close, that we could do these things trumpeted by the doomsayers even given our best effort. So I don't have much worry that we could do it accidentally. I further can't bring myself to ignore the possibilities of benefit. So while I'm sure we have an effect, and believe some bad can result from it, I can't help but see this more as yet another power grab as opposed to a genuine effort fueled by care.

Because, c'mon man, it's the government. The same people who think a pistol grip is worth a felony charge because gun violence. The same who ban 64oz soft drinks because obesity. The same who ban weed because reasons, yet freely allow the sale, distribution, and use of one of the most deadly, voluntarily taken substances today (tobacco).

So yes, please do find the solution to electric. I want an electric truck. I want my phone to stay charged for a week solid. Just don't take me for an idiot, and make me pay for the privilege of the insult.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 3 of 5<12345>