Insane Mode

Page 1 of 51234>Last »
January 28th, 2015 at 6:45:42 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Tesla has a car with a button for "Insane Mode". A drag racing site took people on a test drive.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 28th, 2015 at 7:08:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's because of the no engine noise, no squealing
tires. My friend had a 67 Chevelle SS 427 with
dual quads and 4 on the floor. He could do
zero to 60 in about 3 seconds and the G force
had you so pinned to the seat, you couldn't
move if you wanted to.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 29th, 2015 at 12:37:52 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Before Tesla came along, a lot of folks thought that the only 3 reasons to buy an electric car were:

1) Less air pollution & smog
2) Stop funding Middle East oil tyrants & terrorists
3) Cheaper operating costs (especially when gas is $4/gallon)

But Tesla has proved that the real reason to by an electric car is performance. Zero to 60 in 3 seconds or whatever the hell it is. (Of course, you wouldn't drive a Nissan Leaf for its performance, and likewise, you wouldn't spend $90,000 on a Tesla to avoid $4/gallon gasoline.)

I would also argue that a fifth reason to buy an electric is convenience. Stopping by the gas station once a week only takes 6 or 7 minutes, which is usually not a big deal 99% of the time... except when you're running late to an important appointment and the "low fuel" light has been lit for 2 days. Every Tesla owner knows it's much more convenient to fill up at home in your own garage.

Now if they can only lower the $90,000 price tag...
January 29th, 2015 at 12:41:20 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: reno

I would also argue that a fifth reason to buy an electric is convenience. Stopping by the gas station once a week only takes 6 or 7 minutes, which is usually not a big deal 99% of the time... except when you're running late to an important appointment and the "low fuel" light has been lit for 2 days. Every Tesla owner knows it's much more convenient to fill up at home in your own garage.

Now if they can only lower the $90,000 price tag...

The tradeoff, of course, is if you want to drive more than 200 miles then you have to wait hours to fill er up.

The price tag will not come down. Tesla is about selling pollution credits to other automakers. I am waiting for the stock to crash back to reality.
The President is a fink.
January 29th, 2015 at 12:49:00 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
A Tesla Supercharger station can add 200 miles of range in 30 minutes, and a full charge in about an hour.

A home 240V charger can add about 57 miles of range per hour.

So yes, at home, you might have to wait hours to fill it up. If supercharger stations are available, not so much.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 29th, 2015 at 12:49:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's interesting that most of the people
in the test drive look like they couldn't
afford a $90K car. Why pick them..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 29th, 2015 at 1:01:31 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

But Tesla has proved that the real reason to by an electric car is performance.

I think most car connoisseurs already realized this.

Electric blows gas away in many regards. The key is the build up, or lack thereof. Every time you hear a HP / torque figure quoted, they're speaking of "peak", and peak is often way up in the rev range. Most sports cars, a Corvette, for example, aren't hitting their peak until 6k rpm+. Ferraris are up around 10k, and on to F1 you're getting into 15k. My bike was about 14.5. You're really flogging the thing before you reach those numbers they trumpet so loud. Here's the Z06's chart...

An electric car is like a lightbulb. If a car boasts 300/300, you get it all as soon as you hit the gas. The 300/300 Tesla Roadster, because of this, matches the performance of the 600/600 Corvette Z06, despite its halved power. Here's the graph for the Tesla R...

There is nothing I'd love more than an electric truck. Pulling stumps is a 1,500rpm job. I ain't getting all the power it has. I can't. I can't get into peak without moving, and I can't move when I'm chained to a tree. An electric would give me max power immediately.

It's all about the battery. It is its Achilles heal, and it's one that already severely weakened. It's the weak link that will never allow it to gain traction. Unless they can somehow triple the range while also bringing down the charge time to be measured in minutes, it'll never gain a high status. If they manage to, then electric will be the new diesel.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 29th, 2015 at 1:05:27 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Dalex64

So yes, at home, you might have to wait hours to fill it up. If supercharger stations are available, not so much.

Not so much? Maybe more.

I've heard of supercharge. I think I've heard it mentioned for every electric car out there. The other thing I've also heard? That supercharging decreases battery life by as much as 70%.

I know I lament having to replace a $4,000 gas motor after 15 years. Imagine if you had to replace something that costs $8,000 every 3 years.
January 29th, 2015 at 4:02:28 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Face
That supercharging decreases battery life by as much as 70%.

Are you referring to Tesla's network of Superchargers? I doubt they would invest all that money on a network of Superchargers that damage batteries. The warranty on the batteries is 8 years, so it's in Tesla's best interest to discourage their customers from damaging them. The kind of people with the re$ources to drop $90,000 on a car are also the kind of people with the re$ources to hire a lawyer (or two) if the manufacturer doesn't honor the 8 year warranty.

That said, this is still new technology and the long term lifespan of these batteries is a mystery. Time will tell. Chances are that the first couple generations of Teslas are the worst cars they'll ever make; electric cars (and batteries) will continue to improve over time.
January 29th, 2015 at 4:22:39 PM permalink
Face
Are you referring to Tesla's network of Superchargers?

I'm not. I'm really not all that savvy on that scene. But I have heard it about "normal" electric cars, like the Leaf, the Volt, that Toyota dishwasher looking thing, etc.

I suppose there's no reason to fear, what with a warranty and all, and also because the reasons you state (Tesla's best interest). I'm just a huge battery bigot. I hate 'em all, with a slight exception to the D's in my mag-lite. Even then, I only like them because they turn a flashlight into a weapon and, if needed, an emergency hammer.

I'm looking forward to these "improvements". I'd love to hop on board. Like AZD, I'm not for any of this tax break nonsense, or fake ecomentalism that comes along with it, but the concept has real potential. I'd love to see it realized.
Page 1 of 51234>Last »