Catholic sacrament of the week.

January 26th, 2015 at 1:32:08 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
I'm trying to remain patient because this is extremely difficult for a materialist to get their minds around, but in the miracle of the Eucharist the essence of the wafer is changed into the Real Presence of Jesus, while the accidents or appearance of the wafer remain the same.

So it's a wafer, it remains a wafer, it digests like any other wafer, but it's the blood and flesh of a man dead for millennia.

Proof?

Quote:
I have good news for you, "He has been raised!"

Hardly. My understanding is the body was never even recovered.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 26th, 2015 at 1:53:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
but in the miracle of the Eucharist the essence of the wafer is changed into the Real Presence of Jesus,

C'mon padre, it's not a miracle, it's a religious
ritual. The wafer is symbolic in the ritual, it
stands for something, it isn't the actual 'thing'
it stands for. The wafer isn't changed into anything,
that would be impossible.

Rituals are an integral part of all religions. You
should see the ones Wiccan's do. But even they
aren't claiming the ritual is anything more than a
way to focus their concentration in a certain
direction.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 26th, 2015 at 3:25:41 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
It is precisely the fact that Catholics do not believe that it is symbolic or an empty ritual that sets us apart even from our protestant brothers and sisters. It is a miracle! It is the actual thing, the Body and Blood and Real Presence of Jesus Christ, who is not dead but living and reigning now and for eternity. It is impossible for one to belief this if you don't believe in miracles.

As far as proof I can only offer you faith and personal experience. Experience not just of myself but of billions of Christians throughout history from the first Apostles to the new class of First Communicants we are getting ready to receive this miracle of God's love and true presence this coming May.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 26th, 2015 at 3:50:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It is a miracle! It is the actual thing, the Body and Blood and Real Presence of Jesus Christ,

I'd be more inclined to believe David
Copperfield can really levitate. I can
see that with my own eyes right in front
of me. Some obese woman in Church
on Sunday claiming she see's Jesus
after she eats a wafer, I'm somewhat
disinclined to give that much credence.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 27th, 2015 at 7:01:12 AM permalink
Nareed
As far as proof I can only offer you faith and personal experience. Experience not just of myself but of billions of Christians throughout history from the first Apostles to the new class of First Communicants we are getting ready to receive this miracle of God's love and true presence this coming May.

You know one can "prove" any other religion, belief, ideology and fad this way?

Remarkably there is a scene portraying just this in 1984, during the "2 minute hate." And one very much like it in "Brave New World." Not coincidentally(*) in both scenes one character fakes feeling this experience.

(*) I assume Mr. Blair read Huxley's opus. For that matter I do highly recommend both books, though I never re-read 1984.
January 27th, 2015 at 7:35:39 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Date: Jan 27, 2015
Sacrament: Holy Communion

You guys are evidently so excited about the Seven Sacraments that you have started discussing the Holy Communion early. However, to fill in any gaps, let me give it the executive summary.

Holy Communion is the third in the sacraments of initiation, which connect Catholics to god. Unlike the last two, baptism and confirmation, holy communion is the first to be done more than once per person. In fact, it is encouraged to be done frequently. For example, on a weekly basis.

The purpose of holy communion is to strengthen the body with the body and blood of Jesus. It is based on the communion story in the bible:

Quote: John 6:52-55
I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever; and the bread that I will give, is my flesh, for the life of the world. The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying: How can this man give us his flesh to eat? Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.

I'm not going to get into the whole essence thing very deeply as FrG has already tried to explain that in several posts.

To one receiving communion must be fit and ready, meaning free of any mortal sin. As a reminder a mortal sin is different and more severe than a venial sin in that mortal sins are more serious and premeditated. To clear the record of any mortal sin, the one receiving communion should have gone to confession shortly before communion. I'm not sure if this is still required if the person feels there is no mortal sin to confess.

In a situation, where the person is unable to get to confession or mass, there is, for lack of a better term, "emergency communion" in which the believer says a prayer sincerely, such as the one below.

Quote: An Act of Spiritual CommunionAn Act of Spiritual Communion
My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.

I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul.

Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You. Amen.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 27th, 2015 at 8:15:51 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

Holy Communion is the third in the sacraments of initiation, which connect Catholics to god. Unlike the last two, baptism and confirmation, holy communion is the first to be done more than once per person. In fact, it is encouraged to be done frequently. For example, on a weekly basis.

Confession comes before Communion and is also supposed to be done more than once. If you have mortal sin on your soul I believe you are supposed to go to confession before taking Communion, although as always I will politely defer to the Padre to confirm, expand, clear up, or just word that a little better.

Quote:
In a situation, where the person is unable to get to confession or mass, there is, for lack of a better term, "emergency communion" in which the believer says a prayer sincerely, such as the one below.

Some churches will deliver Communion to the sick, delivered by a priest or lay-minister.
The President is a fink.
January 27th, 2015 at 8:52:10 AM permalink
Nareed
I do wonder whether without the cannibalistic aspect Christianity would have faced less opposition within Rome.

Remember the salient propaganda point in the various Punic wars was the Carthaginians' practice of sacrificing children to their gods. Not only is this remembered to this day, it's a highly controversial point for historians and archeologists.

Christians may think morality started with them, but the fact is all major civilizations had systems of ethics and moral standards. When something crossed a line, there were reactions. granted the Romans were rather cruel and bloodthirsty, but they weren't cannibals. Such things matter.
January 27th, 2015 at 10:31:37 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
You know one can "prove" any other religion, belief, ideology and fad this way?

I guess I should explicitly say what is implicit - that the proof of the Eucharist lies in God as loving creator, incarnate Son, and Holy Spirit and our experience of this Triune God.

God who creates out of nothing and began the universe: all matter, space, and time. This same God can of course perform and allow miracles. The incarnation of the only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, who Himself shows His mastery over material things and is in a sense the living Eucharist, the Bread from Heaven. He looks as if ordinary man and truly is, but His essence or substance is Divine. Finally the Holy Spirit through whose power of Love such miracles are possible. Jesus who says I will be with you always is really and truly present; Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity through the Eucharist and is always intimately united with us.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 27th, 2015 at 10:38:48 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: Wizard

Confession comes before Communion and is also supposed to be done more than once. If you have mortal sin on your soul I believe you are supposed to go to confession before taking Communion, although as always I will politely defer to the Padre to confirm, expand, clear up, or just word that a little better.

Some churches will deliver Communion to the sick, delivered by a priest or lay-minister.

The Wizard is using the ancient practice of first receiving the fullness of the sacraments of initiation before the sacraments of mercy, one of which being reconciliation. Currently, the practice at most every parish is for parishioners to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation before celebrating their first Eucharist. The notably exception to this is when a non-baptized adult enters the Church they receive at one Mass all three of the Sacraments of Initiation, because through Baptism all their sins are forgiven and they are made ready to receive the Lord in the Eucharist. You are right that you are supposed to go to confession before taking Communion if you feel you have committed a mortal sin.

It is indeed a very important practice of every parish to deliver Communion to the sick, whether at home or in the hospital. A priest, deacon, or any lay person can do this.

I was very edified by the Wizard mentioning Spiritual Communion. That is a practice that seems to not be as known as it once was. It is a beautiful way to receive the Lord into your heart and soul even when unable to go to Mass. That Spanish catechism book is coming in handy.