Catholic sacrament of the week.

Page 12 of 14« First<91011121314>
January 28th, 2015 at 1:10:09 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
There are gluten free hosts. They can also receive from the chalice as Christ is fully present in either the bread or the wine.

Note to self: Self, if we ever visit a church remember not to drink any wine.

Quote:
In response to my offer of faith and experience as proof for the Eucharist you said:

Don't the quotes in "prove" give you a clue as to my intent?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 28th, 2015 at 5:32:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
There are gluten free hosts. They can also receive from the chalice as Christ is fully present in either the bread

I had no idea of that. How can we word that into a future WoV trivia question?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 28th, 2015 at 5:38:34 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Wizard
I had no idea of that. How can we word that into a future WoV trivia question?

According to Catholic Theology do you receive the Body of Christ when you receive only from the chalice?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 29th, 2015 at 7:48:07 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
According to Catholic Theology do you receive the Body of Christ when you receive only from the chalice?

Thanks. How about this: True or false, somebody on a liquid only diet can receive the body of Christ via the chalice?
January 29th, 2015 at 8:09:41 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Thanks. How about this: True or false, somebody on a liquid only diet can receive the body of Christ via the chalice?

False.

Can someone on a high protein diet get the benefits of Mars' influence on Aquarius?

False.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 9th, 2015 at 12:29:23 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Anyone interested in talking about the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick? It used to be called the Last Rites, but it no longer carries that connotation.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 9th, 2015 at 2:03:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Anyone interested in talking about the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick? It used to be called the Last Rites, but it no longer carries that connotation.

I am. I know I'm overdue for the next sacrament. Let me prepare something later this week to get the ball rolling.
February 9th, 2015 at 2:14:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

I would like to hear about it as it is the "forgotten" Sacrament and I will be honest that I forgot about it. I didn't know Last Rites was a Sacrament. Never gave much thought to how it fit.

So I will start the discussion, in question format.

1. Does the person need to be conscious and aware to receive the AotS? I was always under the impression "Last Rites" was given when you were so bad that you could go at any moment, and in such a case you were probably at the most dimly aware of what was going on.

2. Is there, even if it is general, some sort of "standard" as to when it may be given? Surely you do not give it for a common cold, but what about if a person is diagnosed with early cancer and is outwardly looking healthy? I will say I expect a big "it depends" in your answer, but you always work well with that so please enlighten.

3. Can the sick person make the request? If it is in the form of "Last Rites" the person may not be able to. But many people know the end is near and say, "Get a Priest!" Can they "ask?" Or does the Priest have to make the call so to speak?

4. Is part of this Sacrament a sort of "Confession by Proxy?" I don't mean that to sound weird, but say a guy is in an accident and his family/Army Buddy/whatever calls you. One of their concerns may well be, "I don't want him to go to the other side with sin on his Soul." Assuming he is in no shape for a Confession, will the AotS forgive him of his sins in the same way?

Anyone else?
The President is a fink.
February 9th, 2015 at 2:17:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

It comes from James:

"Are any among you sick? They should call for the elders of the Church and have them pray over them, anointing them with oil in the name of the Lord. And their prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make them well."

How often does that actually work, that
the person gets well. Studies show that
an equal number of people who don't
receive the sacrament get well just as
often as the people who receive it. What's
the point, then.

"The sacrament is administered by a priest, who uses olive oil or another pure plant oil to anoint the patient's forehead and perhaps other parts of the body while reciting certain prayers."

This is not unlike certain Wiccan/pagan rituals,
which I'm sure is where the Church got it from.
Except they pray to the goddess, priests pray to the
male deity. Little difference, none actually.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 9th, 2015 at 2:24:20 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob

How often does that actually work, that
the person gets well. Studies show that
an equal number of people who don't
receive the sacrament get well just as
often as the people who receive it. What's
the point, then.

I think the point is that the body can do much if the mind will let it. Stress makes it harder to heal. So if a person believes that AotS and the Will of God is going to help them then that should reduce their stress, relax their mind, and let their body heal. In the grand scheme, though, if God decides your number is up it matters not if the Pope gives the Sacrament, God outranks him.
The President is a fink.
Page 12 of 14« First<91011121314>