Catholic sacrament of the week.

January 18th, 2015 at 4:49:55 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Yes. The prayer to bless water for everyday church purposes can be as simple as the sign of the cross or a made up version asking God to bless this water to remind us of our baptism and our call to holiness, etc. There are also a few formal versions, all of which are much shorter than the above blessing used specifically for baptisms.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 20th, 2015 at 7:36:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Date: Jan 21, 2015
Sacrament: Confirmation

As mentioned before, the seven Catholic sacraments all have roots in events in the New Testament. Confirmation is the equivalent to Pentecost. As shown in Acts, chapter 2, this is when the Holy Spirit filled the Apostles and other followers of Jesus.

In western Catholic churches the sacrament may be performed on anybody already baptized and consenting. The age of consent for confirmation is about seven years old. However, if a younger child is in danger of death, it can be performed earlier.

An important part of the ceremony is the anointing with oil and laying on of hands, but of which the early church did, as shown in the book of Acts. I think Catholics call this book "Acts of the Apostles," but Protestants just "Acts."

I think Catholics would say that an effect of confirmation is an increase in the presence of the Holy Spirit and to receive the "seal of the Holy Spirit."

The question for the advanced Catholics is where does speaking in tongues fit into receiving the Holy Spirit, as happened on the original Pentecost.

Link: The Sacrament of Confirmation.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 21st, 2015 at 2:31:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

In western Catholic churches the sacrament may be performed on anybody already baptized and consenting. The age of consent for confirmation is about seven years old. However, if a younger child is in danger of death, it can be performed earlier.

I think Catholics would say that an effect of confirmation is an increase in the presence of the Holy Spirit and to receive the "seal of the Holy Spirit."

The age of Confirmation had a weird history in my time. When I was younger it was always at 7th grade or so but as I came up it was moved to 9th. Then later it was pushed back to 8th. Looking back it should have stayed in 7th because of the social split you had when the various kids went to differing high schools. Among many there was a "get it over with" mentality an even the people at the Church were sort of herding us together like cattle.
The President is a fink.
January 21st, 2015 at 7:40:16 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
A bunch of posts not relating to the sacraments have been moved to Who are happier -- Christians or Atheists?.

Others have been moved to Is it Pop or Soda?.
January 21st, 2015 at 2:21:56 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: AZDuffman

The age of Confirmation had a weird history in my time. When I was younger it was always at 7th grade or so but as I came up it was moved to 9th. Then later it was pushed back to 8th. Looking back it should have stayed in 7th because of the social split you had when the various kids went to differing high schools. Among many there was a "get it over with" mentality an even the people at the Church were sort of herding us together like cattle.

This is one of the biggest debates surrounding the Sacrament of Confirmation as it is celebrated today. Interestingly the age to receive Confirmation used to never be a problem because for the first centuries of the Church all the sacraments of Initiation were celebrated at Baptism. Even if you were baptized as an infant you still received Confirmation and were even given a small part of a consecrated host as your first Holy Communion.

Gradually the Sacrament of Confirmation was moved to after Holy Communion because it was always strongly attached to the role of the Bishop. As Churches grew the Bishop couldn't make it to various Churches often enough to preform the Sacraments of Initiation. Rather than delay baptisms they just separated the three first Sacraments. Now the order usually goes: Baptism, Reconciliation, Eucharist, Confirmation, Marriage or Orders, Anointing of the Sick.

There is a movement to return Confirmation to before the Eucharist or at least to a very young age and Pope Benedict seemed fond of this idea. However, far more common is to have Confirmation in Middle School or High School. I like it in High School were the kids who are facing real temptations can be helped through the Confirmation program. The only age I wouldn't do Confirmations is in 8th grade because it feels too much like a graduation from not only middle school, but religious education.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 21st, 2015 at 2:26:26 PM permalink
FrGamble
Interesting fact about me.

When I was in middle school and the time came for my Confirmation I made such a stink about it my parents let me skip the sacrament. I was not feeling religion at the time, nor all through high school, and I did not want to be confirmed. Rather than make me my parents decided that they didn't want me to get confirmed if I didn't believe it or want it. I think it was a difficult decision for them, but one I am very, very grateful for. I discovered my faith in college and desired Confirmation on my own at that time.
January 21st, 2015 at 2:32:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
However, far more common is to have Confirmation in Middle School or High School. .

I think it should moved to age 25, where
a person has developed his views and
can make a proper decision. I think kids
should avoid organized religion entirely
until they're 18. You can't drink or drive or
vote till you're around that age, yet kids can
make decisions about religion when they're
in grade school? I don't think so.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 21st, 2015 at 2:43:34 PM permalink
FrGamble
I am tempted to agree with you in the case of the Sacrament of Confirmation.
January 21st, 2015 at 2:53:38 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FrGamble

This is one of the biggest debates surrounding the Sacrament of Confirmation as it is celebrated today. Interestingly the age to receive Confirmation used to never be a problem because for the first centuries of the Church all the sacraments of Initiation were celebrated at Baptism. Even if you were baptized as an infant you still received Confirmation and were even given a small part of a consecrated host as your first Holy Communion.

Gradually the Sacrament of Confirmation was moved to after Holy Communion because it was always strongly attached to the role of the Bishop. As Churches grew the Bishop couldn't make it to various Churches often enough to preform the Sacraments of Initiation. Rather than delay baptisms they just separated the three first Sacraments. Now the order usually goes: Baptism, Reconciliation, Eucharist, Confirmation, Marriage or Orders, Anointing of the Sick.

There is a movement to return Confirmation to before the Eucharist or at least to a very young age and Pope Benedict seemed fond of this idea. However, far more common is to have Confirmation in Middle School or High School. I like it in High School were the kids who are facing real temptations can be helped through the Confirmation program. The only age I wouldn't do Confirmations is in 8th grade because it feels too much like a graduation from not only middle school, but religious education.

Interesting, never knew most of that. When I was Confirmed, they got a Bishop from I have no idea where. Maybe you can answer this one, Padre. I often thought being Bishop was purely a "line" position. IOW, they have a Diocese and quite a bit of administrative as well as spiritual duties. I thought that some Bishops eventually got promoted to Cardinal and then that was a "staff" position, more spiritual than administrative and a sort of Board of Directors under the Pope who take care of high-level stuff but they don't fall direct on the organizational chart so to speak.

When my brother got confirmed they had the Diocese Bishop, the first time that parish did. Which is saying something because we were huge, and the founding Priest when he died it looked like the Vatican. I think you had to know someone to get into the funeral.

Anyways, are there "staff" Bishops?
The President is a fink.
January 21st, 2015 at 6:17:28 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Anyways, are there "staff" Bishops?

While we're at it, what is an arch bishop?