Catholic sacrament of the week.

Page 2 of 14<12345>Last »
January 14th, 2015 at 11:58:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
I think a lot of that scene was just to get to show her nude.

Quote: Charlotte
I can't, Brian. I want to, but I can't. I mean, actually no, that's not true. I don't want to. Or maybe I do. I don't know what I want. But I'm afraid if I don't, you'll dump me. And if I do, then I'll be the up-the-butt girl. And I don't want to be the up-the-butt girl, because I mean... Men don't marry up-the-butt girl. Whoever heard of Mrs. Up-The-Butt? No, no, no. I can't. I want children and nice bedding, and I just can't handle this right now.

I'm not sure if SATC was the most reliable source for religious rituals.
January 14th, 2015 at 12:28:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
I'm not sure if SATC was the most reliable source for religious rituals.

The only time I ever saw any of it was when I tuned in early before "The Sopranos" came on. As far as I can tell, it was the chick show of all chick shows. I swear I would rather watch a test pattern.
The President is a fink.
January 14th, 2015 at 12:35:16 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I think a lot of that scene was just to get to show her nude.

But they didn't show anything.

The only time I ever saw any of it was when I tuned in early before "The Sopranos" came on. As far as I can tell, it was the chick show of all chick shows. I swear I would rather watch a test pattern.

At the risk of my masculinity being impugned, I rather liked the show.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 14th, 2015 at 12:42:07 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
I'm not sure they used that word but she had to walk through a small swimming pool.

I've heard of this.

No idea what it's called, when it's used, what it means, or anything else. But it's real. I've never seen one.

I do know if a man converts to Judaism he's expected to undergo circumcision, if he hasn't already.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 14th, 2015 at 12:51:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I loved Sex in the City. It was witty and
clever, there was nothing else like it.
I have all the seasons on DVD. None
of the women were appealing to me,
they were all self centered, picky, and
for the most part, disliked men. But they
were fun to watch. Every relationship
on the show was about trying to cut the
man down and put him in his place. It
usually didn't work, but it wasn't for a
lack of them trying.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 14th, 2015 at 1:20:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
But they didn't show anything.

I barely remember, I thought they did. I was told that all the ladies other than Sarah did a nude scene at one point or another.

Quote:

No offense to you or EB, I just found it impossible to watch.
The President is a fink.
January 14th, 2015 at 2:56:20 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

A question I've always wondered is why isn't baptism mentioned in the Old Testament, other than a few cases of "washing." It would seem when Jesus was born the practice was suddenly very popular, but when, where, and why did it suddenly become in vogue?

Another question is may women perform baptisms in the Catholic church?

An interesting question. Can I be my atheist self now? Or do I have to still defend the faith?

Maybe I can do both...

You first question I'm clueless on. The "how and why" of baptism I think I got the hang of. "When" never crossed my mind. Sorry.

The woman thing, though. On the surface, I think it's easy to say "no". It wouldn't be hard, no matter how much FrG protests, to find example after example of women being sort of viewed as second class citizens. Must obey, must not command, may not teach, etc and so forth. So, of course, a woman could not perform such an important ritual.

However, I think you need to look for deeper meaning. Baptism, if I remember correctly (somebody check this), is the cleansing of sin and a surrender to God. You say "I cast this aside, and put my faith in You". That is not an act which is dependent on what type of water you use. It is not an act that requires someone with some sort of power. The act and the power exist within two entities only; he who wishes to be baptized, and God.

That's my interpretation, anyway. I posit that not only could one be baptized by a woman, but one could be baptized by a Jew, a Sihk, a Hindi, or even good old godless Face. Whatever should so happen to cross my mind as I perform the ritual is immaterial. It doesn't involve me, it's not about me. It's an act between the believer and God, period.

If the believer believed, then whatever mockery I make of the event means nothing whatsoever. He is baptized because he believes, and that's the whole point.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 14th, 2015 at 4:37:22 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
I do know if a man converts to Judaism he's expected to undergo circumcision, if he hasn't already.

Ouch!!!

I barely remember, I thought they did. I was told that all the ladies other than Sarah did a nude scene at one point or another.

I'm quite sure they just showed Charlotte's back in that scene. However, she was topless in a scene with Trey, among possible others. Offhand, I can't think one with Miranda.
January 14th, 2015 at 4:43:41 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Face
The woman thing, though. On the surface, I think it's easy to say "no". It wouldn't be hard, no matter how much FrG protests, to find example after example of women being sort of viewed as second class citizens. Must obey, must not command, may not teach, etc and so forth. So, of course, a woman could not perform such an important ritual.

I did a little research and it would seem the answer is "no," women can't be deacons, nor anything higher, so couldn't perform a baptism unless under emergency circumstances, which is allowed for. Let's not get any deeper into the pros and cons of that issue, lest we totally hijack the thread.

Quote:
That's my interpretation, anyway. I posit that not only could one be baptized by a woman, but one could be baptized by a Jew, a Sihk, a Hindi, or even good old godless Face. Whatever should so happen to cross my mind as I perform the ritual is immaterial. It doesn't involve me, it's not about me. It's an act between the believer and God, period.

I think you forgot to put on your priest outfit with that answer. Like it or not, the Catholic church has 2,000 years of doctrine and procedure. When you and I start a religion I will have no problem with your way, but here is what About Catholics.com says:

Quote: http://www.aboutcatholics.com/
Who can perform a Catholic baptism?

Anyone can perform a baptism, however this is typically done only in extreme cases in which someone’s life is in danger. The Catholic Church has ordinary ministers for sacraments and those are bishops, priests, and sometimes deacons. An ordinary minister is one who has been entrusted with the authority to perform the sacrament although the responsibility for performing a sacrament can usually be delegated. For example, a bishop is the ordinary minister for Confirmation, but can give permission to a priest to do a Confirmation; a priest does not have the authority to do a confirmation without the permission of his bishop. However, priests do have the authority to do baptisms without the permission of the bishop and sometimes delegate the responsibility to a deacon if one is available.

Link: http://www.aboutcatholics.com/beliefs/a-guide-to-catholic-baptism/
January 14th, 2015 at 5:17:21 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: http://www.aboutcatholics.com/
Who can perform a Catholic baptism?

Anyone can perform a baptism, however this is typically done only in extreme cases in which someone’s life is in danger.

Remember that episode of "House MD" when they couldn't get the patient's heart to beat, and House saved him by performing a baptism?

I don't either. It must have been on "ER"
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 2 of 14<12345>Last »