No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
2 votes (33.33%)

6 members have voted

January 6th, 2015 at 3:20:34 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
There was a question about manna on Jeopardy the other day. It got me to thinking, what is manna anyway? We know it was something god gave the Israelites to eat, I think when they were fleeing Egypt.

Also, is there any common etymology with the Spanish word manar, which means to flow. Perhaps because manna flowed from god?

The question for the poll is what food is the most similar to manna?

I have high expectations for a good answer from Nareed, Paco, and FrG.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 6th, 2015 at 3:36:12 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
I have high expectations for a good answer from Nareed,

Really? On a religious question?

As far as I know, the whole hike through the desert was made up, as was the manna, the golden calf, the parting of the Red Sea, the fall of Jericho's walls, the light show at Mount Sinai, etc, etc.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 6th, 2015 at 3:39:43 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
January 6th, 2015 at 3:43:14 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: aceofspades

I'm impressed this was not written by Velikovskyi or von Daniken ;)

Thanks for the laugh!
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 6th, 2015 at 3:48:11 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Kefir
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 6th, 2015 at 4:02:22 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
Kefir
No, that is bacteria and goat milk.
Manna is thought to have been a large quantity of muchrooms or mushroom buds containing neuroactive chemicals and a bacterial derived agent infecting the fungus.
It is though to occur in chronological sequence to the blooming of that plant that sets off grasshoppers to become hordes of locusts.
January 6th, 2015 at 5:04:42 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
Really? On a religious question?

Wouldn't you be the resident expert on Judaism?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 6th, 2015 at 5:15:04 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Here is what I know about Manna.

The coolest thing is that the Hebrew word can be literally translated as, "What is it?" Therefore you are not the first person to ask what it is. The Israelites were starving in the desert and they appealed to God. In the morning there was a white covering over the ground, kind of like frost, that could be gathered and eaten. When they woke up that fateful morning they said, "What is it?" and Manna was born.

It has some supernatural characteristics. Not only is it considered the first 'bread from Heaven', but it would quickly spoil if you gathered too much of it. If you gathered the right amount for you and your family for just one day, no problem. If you try to hoard the manna it spoils and you are left with nothing. Inside the Ark of The Covenant there was along with the Ten Commandments a small jar of manna.

I have heard a few attempts to try to attribute natural phenomenon to the presence of manna, but none have ever been convincing to me. I'm still thinking about from you list what it would have been closest to. Peace!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 6th, 2015 at 5:21:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
No, that is bacteria and goat milk.
Manna is thought to have been a large quantity of muchrooms or mushroom buds containing neuroactive chemicals and a bacterial derived agent infecting the fungus.
It is though to occur in chronological sequence to the blooming of that plant that sets off grasshoppers to become hordes of locusts.

Sounds good.

http://reverenteater.blogspot.com/2005/12/manna-from-heaven.html

"Kefir originated in the Caucasus Mountain region. It is thousands of years old. One story of its origin is that it could have been the manna described in the Biblical story of the Exodus - the white stuff that fell in the desert each day to feed the wandering Israelites. A miracle food. Another story is that the Prophet Muhammed gifted it to the shepherds on a trip through the Caucasus Mountains. In which case, it would also be a miracle food"

Kefir: http://health-nutrition-wellness.info/my-favorite-magic-milk-is-it-manna-in-the-bible/

IDK?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 6th, 2015 at 7:43:47 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Wizard

Also, is there any common etymology with the Spanish word manar, which means to flow. Perhaps because manna flowed from god?

The alternate spelling, "mana", is often found in fantasy lore. It generally serves to describe a "life force" or a sort of spiritual energy, one which is present within the Earth. Wizards, mages, clerics, and other caster's spells are often fueled by "mana".

Places where this energy is abundant often brim with life and allow casters more abilities. Areas low on mana are often darker and more barren. Places with no mana are dead and desolate; often just entering such an area is enough to kill you.

Video game nerdy, yeah. But it follows the RL thread of man(n)a = life.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 1 of 51234>Last »