sheldon gets drunk

Page 2 of 3<123>
November 7th, 2014 at 8:04:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I liked the time when he got drunk and played a keyboard in the Cheesecake Factory. He was quite good. I wish they would show off his musical talent on the show more often.

Jim Parsons had a lot of experience as a stage actor. That was in the first year when ratings were their lowest .

As ratings got higher the references all became broader. The jokes began to lose any subtle references to parts of culture that aren't universally known. E#ven Fiddler is not well known among the under 40 crowd.

Scene: Penny’s restaurant. Sheldon is on the piano, singing “To Life” from Fiddler on the Roof enthusiastically.
Leonard: I don’t believe it, what’s gotten into him?
Penny: Oh, maybe a couple of virgin cuba libres that turned out to be kind of slutty.
Leonard: You didn’t?
Penny: Hey, you do your experiments, I do mine.
November 7th, 2014 at 10:04:21 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Is that the same one where Penny is feeding Sheldon Long Island Iced Teas in the Cheesecake Factory?

No, it isn't(*). That's the one with Will Wheaton.

The keyboard ep is when Penny is tending bar at the restaurant and she tells Leonard Sheldon ran into "some Virgin Cuba Libres who were a little slutty."

I think that's also the ep where Raj learns he can talk to women if he drinks.

(*) I often surf the web Saturday and Sunday mornings with the TV on in the background. They show reruns of Big Bang then, so I've listened subconsciously to the first four seasons multiple times.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 7th, 2014 at 10:13:34 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
No, it isn't(*). That's the one with Will Wheaton.

They are similar in that they both involve Sheldon at the cheesecake factory bar, and he thinks he is drinking a non-alcoholic drink, but Penny tricks him. No one can ever explain why Sheldon can't taste alcohol sometimes, while at other times he spits it out immediately.
November 7th, 2014 at 12:10:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
There still is no other 30 minute sitcom that even comes close to the ratings level of The Big Bang Theory.

That means less than nothing to me. It's
why I quit watching broadcast TV 7 years
ago. There are so many lame shows that
stay on for years and years. I saw some
funny Bang's, but it's the same. Nerds
are anal retentive, afraid of girls, jealous
of each other, have odd quirks, and love
their moms too much. Every episode
has one or more of these as it's theme,
at least in the ones I watched.

All shows run out of original ideas after
awhile. Look at the last 5 seasons of MASH,
it was almost unwatchable. The Korean War
can only last so long.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 7th, 2014 at 12:26:53 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Jim Parsons had a lot of experience as a stage actor. That was in the first year when ratings were their lowest .

Thanks! He is obviously very talented based on that scene. If the show were striving for any kind of realism, which is obviously isn't, then I think it should address how Sheldon became so good.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 7th, 2014 at 1:57:04 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I liked the time when he got drunk and played a keyboard in the Cheesecake Factory. He was quite good. I wish they would show off his musical talent on the show more often.

Howard's performed songs twice, with a keyboard each time.

Sheldon sang a Christmas carol when Leonard set up the Xmas-themed D&D game. He sang with Penny when he was helping her with the hair accessory business (which vanished after that episode). He's sung his kitty song any number of times. And he played the flute once or twice in one episode.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 7th, 2014 at 2:50:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Jim Parsons took piano lessons from
kindergarten thru college. He's in
his 40's now.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 7th, 2014 at 11:41:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin
If the show were striving for any kind of realism, which is obviously isn't, then I think it should address how Sheldon became so good.

If the show were striving for any sort of realism then it would have to explain why Sheldon, a handsome physically fit young man, would be asexual.

In the unaired pilot he was not asexual.
November 8th, 2014 at 5:08:35 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
Howard's performed songs twice, with a keyboard each time.

Sheldon sang a Christmas carol when Leonard set up the Xmas-themed D&D game. He sang with Penny when he was helping her with the hair accessory business (which vanished after that episode). He's sung his kitty song any number of times. And he played the flute once or twice in one episode.

I recall the recent episode where Bernadette was quarantined and he performed a song outside her room. Based on just that, he was nowhere near Sheldon's level.

I love the Hello Kitty song.

If the show were striving for any sort of realism then it would have to explain why Sheldon, a handsome physically fit young man, would be asexual.

I've never known anybody to claim to be asexual in real life, so can't speak to this with any personal experience. However, I will offer that my opinion is that if asexuality were an option that it wouldn't be correlated to handsomeness or physical fitness, much like homo- and heterosexuality isn't.

Also, I could make an argument that Sheldon leans towards being heterosexual. Besides the relationship with Amy there was the time he was helping Amy put on a shirt with his eyes closed and he grabbed hold of her breast and just held onto it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 8th, 2014 at 5:21:14 AM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
I've never known anybody to claim to be asexual in real life, so can't speak out this with any personal experience.

:+)
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
Page 2 of 3<123>