What If....

Page 4 of 6<123456>
January 13th, 2015 at 10:44:42 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I'm no Doc, but I'm real good at pretending =)

Velocity is everything. It is said "with a big enough level you can move the world". By that same reasoning, "with enough mass and speed, you will become unstoppable".

But can we get enough mass and speed?

You can understand that there is no "gun" we could build to do so. You can imagine that the amount of energy needed to pierce the Earth is great indeed. And you must also be aware of "equal and opposite reaction". I posit that even if you could build a gun big enough, and mounted it on the moon, the recoil alone would vaporize the moon. We're talking a lot of energy.

So it has to be cosmic. HAS to be. It's the only way to get something with any weight going fast enough. But with the speeds possible for a projectile (limited by physics) the rest of the oomph would need to be made up by mass. And with those speed limitations, I posit the projectile would have to be so great as to vaporize the earth (or more likely, pull it apart, as we're talking a lot of necessary mass).

And, even supposing you could make a projectile the size of a bitty .22, and could get it fast enough to have the energy to make it through, the energy absorbed by Earth would be so great that it would explode like a melon.

All these are just guesses, btw. But they sound good.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 14th, 2015 at 12:10:32 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: rxwine
Is it possible for something to go completely through the Earth, but not at the subatomic level?
I think something hot enough could melt its way to the core (The China Syndrome), but I don't know about coming out on the other side.

Is cosmic radiation considered subatomic? Those energetic little guys go right through the Earth all the time.
January 14th, 2015 at 7:50:01 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I don't think so. Regardless of the energy required, the projectile couldn't withstand the impact and friction needed to get through 12,000 kilometers of rock, lava, magma, and very dense metal. A very large projectile, say the size of Mars, could emerge whole, but it wouldn't go through the Earth, rather it would shatter it.

But every day untold quantities of neutrinos pass through the Earth as though it wasn't even there.

I wonder if dark matter could also pass through the Earth if it were moving fast enough (ie faster than 11 kms relative to the planet).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 31st, 2015 at 2:26:56 PM permalink
Nareed
What if we never find out what dark energy and dark matter are?
March 31st, 2015 at 2:38:29 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed

We'll die, be broken down by bacteria, and eventually be consumed by our own sun =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 31st, 2015 at 5:43:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed

Always a new angle may appear...

Like so:

Quote:
An international team of astronomers have come across solutions to decades-old equations describing what happens as two spinning black holes in a binary system orbit each other and spiral in toward a collision.

The results should have significantly impact not only on the study of black holes, but also the search for elusive gravitational waves, a type of radiation predicted by Einstein’s theory of general relativity, in the cosmos.

http://www.techfragments.com/3110/colliding-black-holes-bring-hope-for-gravitational-astronomy/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 3rd, 2015 at 10:43:52 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow", what will the temperature be?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 3rd, 2015 at 11:44:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow", what will the temperature be?

00, like in roulette. Double the HE.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 4th, 2015 at 4:28:18 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Just about the same under those hot studio lights.
January 19th, 2016 at 1:38:19 PM permalink
Nareed
What if dark energy isn't energy at all but a force?

Could the universe sue Timothy Zahn for copyright infringement? :)
Page 4 of 6<123456>