Mars and beyond.

Page 2 of 9<12345>Last »
February 26th, 2015 at 4:20:27 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
29,000 miles away, and they still don't know what the bright spots on Ceres are.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/feb/26/bright-light-ceres-scientists-baffled/

March 6, it will be in orbit. We won't be getting any closer than that for quite awhile. Maybe they will figure it out. If not, that will certainly create a long term mystery.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 26th, 2015 at 4:42:36 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
29,000 miles away, and they still don't know what the bright spots on Ceres are.

Aliens! ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 26th, 2015 at 5:04:41 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
That is so cool.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 7th, 2015 at 1:33:05 AM permalink
rxwine
Dawn is in orbit around Ceres, but I read it won't send back new pictures until April. Eventually, it will orbit as close as 250 miles from the surface.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 7th, 2015 at 4:41:12 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I'm sure they'll really try to figure out those shining spots, but seems to me it's possible they'll still be guessing

they do know now that it is reflection, when Ceres faces away from the sun, those spots go dark - surely there was not much doubt to start with, but now we know

btw I always get a bit amused by the idea of substance unknown to science, since all the possible elements are known, any new ones having to be too heavy in atomic weight to last more than a fraction of a second ... as for compounds and crystals, meh, nothing could be too surprising. Nothing on Earth shines like that, but we have an oxidizing atmosphere too
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 7th, 2015 at 11:09:00 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
they do know now that it is reflection, when Ceres faces away from the sun, those spots go dark -

Solar powered devices!

heh.
March 12th, 2015 at 1:13:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
The largest moon in the solar system harbors a salty ocean beneath its icy shell, the latest member to join a growing club of watery moons, NASA said Thursday.

The ocean on Jupiter's Ganymede is estimated to be much deeper than the oceans on Earth — about 60 miles thick and buried under 95 miles of ice. The moon's ocean is believed to have more water than all of Earth.

Maybe it's just me, but it's hard to imagine a body of water larger than the Earths and not a single living microbe.

Even the "Dead" Sea has microbes.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/solar-systems-largest-moon-ocean-lurking-29583021
March 12th, 2015 at 3:22:55 PM permalink
Nareed
Even the "Dead" Sea has microbes.

The Dead Sea has the advantage of existing on the surface of a planet teeming with life.
April 8th, 2015 at 3:04:54 PM permalink
rxwine
If Earth (we) discovered signs of an advanced civilization, should we have a discussion about contacting them.

I'm asking for the opposite reason. What could you discover from afar that would actually make you not reveal yourself. Can you actually learn enough to know much at all.

This is on the contingency that we have already been discovered.

BTW, anyone know the odds for Earth being the first planet to discover another planet with intelligent life. Seems like being "first" is also at the rare odds.

Also, maybe dark energy or matter is somehow being used for advanced communication by other civilizations? Maybe that is another reason why the Universe is blacked out, to us. Who knows? Not me.

Or it's only us, of course.
April 8th, 2015 at 3:38:45 PM permalink
Nareed
BTW, anyone know the odds for Earth being the first planet to discover another planet with intelligent life. Seems like being "first" is also at the rare odds.

We know we can't know the odds. Not yet.

Consider exoplanets. The early discoveries were bizarre by Solar System standards. Ergo we have no clue how typical or atypical our system is. Extrapolating from this, we don't know how typical or not "life as we know it" is.

If it is typical, then the odds for intelligent civilizations are very, very low.

The Earth is about 4.5 billion years old, or 4,500,000,000. Life has existed on it for about as long. But multicellular life only for a fraction of that time. Land-based multicellular life is even younger. Intelligent species have existed here for only a couple of million years. Civilization for under 10,000. Advanced civilization (ie meaning one possessing massive industry and massive energy production) is less than 300 years old.

If we're average, then odds for other civilizations is slim. If we're above average, well, we can't really know right now.
Page 2 of 9<12345>Last »