Sucralose and such substituted for sugar.

Page 2 of 2<12
August 18th, 2014 at 9:50:22 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
The market for "healthy" snacks is huge. A lot of companies are mixing their sugars with artificial sugars in order to advertise "90 calorie" or "100 calorie" portions of things that would otherwise have such small portions people wouldn't buy them. Look at cookie packets, yogurts, little cakes, fruit roll-ups, "lite" ice creams and sorbets, things like that; you'll see sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup listed among the first, which is where most people stop reading; but one of the last (since ingredients are listed by weight, and artificial sweetener, uncut, is just a pinch of dust) will likely be sucralose, aspartame, or another fake sugar.

I avoid all artificial sugars like the plague. I also can taste them immediately, especially in the back of my throat. I am not satisfied that they've done any long-term (20-40 year studies) on what these substances do to the body. But over 20 years ago, there was a study published in the AMA Journal that indicated women (especially) who had used artificial sweeteners for decades were showing up with nervous disorders like Lupus and Multiple Sclerosis, and some of their bladders were the consistency of cottage cheese. That study seems to have "disappeared". But it was done through Johns Hopkins, and it's out there somewhere.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
August 18th, 2014 at 10:50:39 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Quote: AZDuffman
The acid in the cola probably helps digestion. I go through lots and lots of water. I have been at a table with three other people and finished all 4 waters instead of waiting for the waitress. But I cannot do water alone. The key to pop is limiting it to 1-2 cans a day. Time was 6.5-10oz was a full serving and that is what you had with your meal. Now with free refills and Double-Gulps people have for themselves what the entire family used to have. They they wonder why they are fat lumps.

Sometimes I just need the sugar rush. Pepsi Throwback, 1 can a night. As a former roommate said, "that is his cigarettes." Coke doesn't have the right bite, nor does corn syrup pepsi anymore. There are worse habits to have I suppose.
Seems to me, but may not be true, the cola you drink with sugar instead of corn syrup, might in fact be less addictive. Cost means a lot in terms of people being able to afford more of the drink, but it just seems the sugared cola you just don't feel the need to have as much just through the inherent quality of the ingredients. Tough call but lots of the processed food I do believe is designed to scam the body satisfying hunger but leaving it wanting more by just not being satisfied at the cellular level.
August 19th, 2014 at 2:32:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
Seems to me, but may not be true, the cola you drink with sugar instead of corn syrup, might in fact be less addictive. Cost means a lot in terms of people being able to afford more of the drink, but it just seems the sugared cola you just don't feel the need to have as much just through the inherent quality of the ingredients. Tough call but lots of the processed food I do believe is designed to scam the body satisfying hunger but leaving it wanting more by just not being satisfied at the cellular level.

Might be, I just know I used to try to find the Mexican stuff when a few years back Pepsi brought out the "Throwback" and I never looked back. It was supposed to be a seasonal thing but sold so well they kept it on. Classic marketing study of asking if by doing this are they not saying the new stuff is not as good? Of course it isn't.

I've tried to limit to 1-2 cans a day for years. When you are a teenager and burning 4,000 calories a day you can swig the stuff, it takes a few years to realize you no longer need that much intake. Some people never figure that out.
The President is a fink.
August 19th, 2014 at 5:18:49 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Its a question sometimes of nutrient density.

No one really needs a glass of sugar water. Though I do know someone who gives a spoonful of sugar water to an exhausted bee lying on the ground.

We need nutrient dense foods: proteins, fats, carbohydrates to a limited extend. Vitamins, minerals stuff like that, not just sugar and water with a little fizz.

There was a twofer special on sliced water melon so I bought it, but they sell the pink stuff, yet the white outer edge has some amino acids that are really and truly wonderful stuff.
August 19th, 2014 at 9:01:45 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Just bought some juice drinks which fit the category. A brand Looza has a few flavors such as banana, peach, mango. They are sold in 1 liter bottles, quite expensive going from $2.50 at Marc's to almost double or more at Giant Eagle stores if you can find them. They're a product of Belgium of all places. Mango really is the best.
Oh yeah only 3 ingredients, mango for example: water, mango puree, sugar.
Page 2 of 2<12