Sucralose and such substituted for sugar.

Page 1 of 212>
August 18th, 2014 at 12:16:23 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
If you grocery shop, you'll learn sugar substitutes are more expensive than sugar. Is this still true at the level of large food manufacturing? I wonder because companies tend to sneak them into nondiet products. I have a real fine tolerance for them and they make me sick. Perhaps I'm one of those phenylwhatevers they say allergic.

I am aware of the critics saying sugary foods make people fat etc., but is the only reason we're seeing this? Is some country subsidizing these products? Sugar at this point has been so much a bumper crop lately, prices have been so low, countries like Brazil have diverted sugar to be used for ethanol to keep prices stable. So still confused, do companies make more money switching sugar out? Some products at dollar stores make me think so because they're doing it but coke and pepsi aren't. Ok correction: substituting for corn syrup, not sugar. Same difference.
August 18th, 2014 at 12:43:13 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Nutrasweet or aspartame, with the warning for the amino acid Disorder I do not have, but it affects me almost instantly. I don't need to be told it's in a product, because I can detect it and it is not psychological. For the record, I get nauseous, irritable with a short temper, and have trouble with concentration feeling foggy. I sometimes don't know i'm ingesting them beforehand because they're in products I didn't purchase and someone else did who did the shopping. Definitely worse on an empty stomach.
August 18th, 2014 at 12:47:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I started drinking water, only, 3 years ago,
and have never looked back. Water mixed
with vodka at times, but nothing else. So
much crap out there.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 18th, 2014 at 12:52:48 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Simply politics or purely profit?
August 18th, 2014 at 1:08:16 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Quote: Evenbob
I started drinking water, only, 3 years ago,
and have never looked back. Water mixed
with vodka at times, but nothing else. So
much crap out there.
Yes I do drink water plenty and I do mean plenty. Fluoride build up can also be dangerous from drinking water in some people who really overdo it though. Really can't say I'm not worried about it myself. Some foods I do like colas with because they taste better together and it feels easier to digest them. It's not just soft drinks dropping calories and many candies and gums have too and in greater numbers. That's what really angers me not getting the sugar I w+ant and everywhere you look, these fatty free foods are it. I want the sugar and my body won't let me turn into a cabbage patch doll like all these kids out there looking like Augustus from Willy Wonka choking on sausages.
August 18th, 2014 at 7:25:55 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
If you grocery shop, you'll learn sugar substitutes are more expensive than sugar.

It depends largely on packaging.

Artificial sweeteners are packaged in individual dose envelopes, while sugar is packed in bulk in a box or bag. If you buy sugar in packets, it will be a great deal more expensive per pound than loose sugar.

Then, too, most of the contents in an envelope of Equal or Splenda is filler. When used as an ingredient in processed food, the "pure," less expensive form is used.

When you do away with the little paper envelopes and the filler, the price drops below sugar's.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 18th, 2014 at 11:40:56 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Its not always price but labeling. Using two or three other words helps the consumer think there is less sugar in them.

One of these products was owned by Tate and Lyle of Plantation House, London. All rsearch was sponsored by Tate and Lyle Plantation House London.
August 18th, 2014 at 11:50:41 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Quote: Nareed
It depends largely on packaging.

Artificial sweeteners are packaged in individual dose envelopes, while sugar is packed in bulk in a box or bag. If you buy sugar in packets, it will be a great deal more expensive per pound than loose sugar.

Then, too, most of the contents in an envelope of Equal or Splenda is filler. When used as an ingredient in processed food, the "pure," less expensive form is used.

When you do away with the little paper envelopes and the filler, the price drops below sugar's.
Makes sense. I was thinking of something along these lines. Artificial sweetener is many, many multiples sweeter than sugar or corn syrup per gram.
August 18th, 2014 at 3:18:44 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Makes sense. I was thinking of something along these lines. Artificial sweetener is many, many multiples sweeter than sugar or corn syrup per gram.

Back in the 70 there was a brand of saccharine called "Hermesetas" sold in Europe. They sold small containers of 100-200 tiny tablets, each of which was equivalent to one teaspoon of sugar (in sweetening "power"). They weighed a fraction of a gram each. You could fit about 20 in a Sweet'n'Low packet easily. Sweet'n'Low packets, and for that matter those of Splenda or Equal, contain 1 gram of powder. This tells you how much of each packet is filler. At that, the tiny tablets had some filler, too. For comparison a sugar packet contains about 5 grams, no filler.

If these sweeteners were sold without filler, the dose equivalent to 2 tsp. of sugar would be too hard to measure. But the filler costs money. If you're going to use Aspartame or Sucralose in industrial quantities, you'll need anywhere from several hundred grams to several pounds (depending on what you're making and how much). Here you can easily use the "pure" form of the sweetener and add as much as needed with great precision.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 18th, 2014 at 3:51:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Yes I do drink water plenty and I do mean plenty. Fluoride build up can also be dangerous from drinking water in some people who really overdo it though. Really can't say I'm not worried about it myself. Some foods I do like colas with because they taste better together and it feels easier to digest them. It's not just soft drinks dropping calories and many candies and gums have too and in greater numbers. That's what really angers me not getting the sugar I w+ant and everywhere you look, these fatty free foods are it. I want the sugar and my body won't let me turn into a cabbage patch doll like all these kids out there looking like Augustus from Willy Wonka choking on sausages.

The acid in the cola probably helps digestion. I go through lots and lots of water. I have been at a table with three other people and finished all 4 waters instead of waiting for the waitress. But I cannot do water alone. The key to pop is limiting it to 1-2 cans a day. Time was 6.5-10oz was a full serving and that is what you had with your meal. Now with free refills and Double-Gulps people have for themselves what the entire family used to have. They they wonder why they are fat lumps.

Sometimes I just need the sugar rush. Pepsi Throwback, 1 can a night. As a former roommate said, "that is his cigarettes." Coke doesn't have the right bite, nor does corn syrup pepsi anymore. There are worse habits to have I suppose.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 212>