Modern movies(post 1980) with good stories, you think nobody has seen.

Page 1 of 3123>
August 13th, 2014 at 11:30:48 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Modern defined as anything after 1980, what's good? Being they wouldn't have been in the public eye, seems to be limited to independent movies but not necessarily.

I nominate Evil Speak with Cliff Howard and The Minus Man with Owen Wilson.
August 14th, 2014 at 7:16:03 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
"Defending Your Life" with Albert Brooks and Meryl Streep. It's a rather original comedy view of the after-life.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 14th, 2014 at 9:17:03 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
80's: Natalie Wood's last movie, "Brainstorm" (with Christopher Walken) surprised me, especially since the story was reworked when she died before production was complete.

90's: "Quigley Down Under" with Tom Selleck and Alan Rickman. A pure sharpshootin' western... (Western Australia, that is).

00's: MTV put out a small film with a cast of Asian American unknowns, "Better Luck Tomorrow". It was scary good, but not widely distributed.
August 14th, 2014 at 9:25:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
80's: Natalie Wood's last movie, "Brainstorm" (with Christopher Walken) surprised me, especially since the story was reworked when she died before production was complete.

I saw that one.

Strangely, what impressed me when I saw it first was how the machine evolved from the prototype onwards. I forget, though, much of what took place in the movie.

Question: is the idea a direct descendant of the "feelies" in Huxley's "Brave New World"? BTW a pretty good book that hasn't spawned a pretty good movie. Given that it contains clones, drugs, totalitarian dystopia, institutionalized racism (in many flavors!) and an important minority character, one wonders how it was overlooked during the past few years.

I think I'll re-read it, provided I still have it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 14th, 2014 at 10:06:54 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
The Station Agent comes to mind. Low key movie about a dwarf who inherits an old disused station house, and how he makes friends after being isolated for most of his life.

As does Unicorn City. Redemption movie about a live action role playing nerd.

For sheer stupidity, The Norwegian Ninja. Complete piss take of the chop-sockey, low budget martial arts, Hong Kong movies.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 14th, 2014 at 10:59:11 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Ayecarumba

Great movie loved it.
Came out on cable just as cable was 1st installed in the neighborhood. Watched the movie a bunch of times because cable was new. Back then only other channels were 3 networks and 2 UHF stations.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 14th, 2014 at 9:30:59 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Devil in a Blue Dress. Great modern noir.
August 15th, 2014 at 12:26:32 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Mosca

I cannot see this movie enough times. It has
everything and Don Cheadle steals every
scene he's in. Probably a very realistic version
of what life was like for blacks in the late
40's. I want to watch it again right now.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 15th, 2014 at 5:53:18 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Salvadore with James Woods and Jim Belushi
Great movie, loved it.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 15th, 2014 at 7:11:02 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob
Quote: Mosca

I cannot see this movie enough times. It has
everything and Don Cheadle steals every
scene he's in. Probably a very realistic version
of what life was like for blacks in the late
40's. I want to watch it again right now.

Here's another great one: Diggstown. Very underrated.
Page 1 of 3123>