Pet Peeves

December 6th, 2020 at 2:22:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
[rant]

Pet Peeve that is building and building on me as I get older:

the modern digital age and having to relearn constantly: the people in charge of turning out new products don't have a clue how to not screw it up. Worst of all, these people love to take a feature you really liked in, say, version 1.1 and by version 1.3 it is gone forever!

example: a long time ago I learned how to use Paint on my PC. Now that is gone and there is Paint 3d. Fine! I'm thinking. 'Since I learned how to use Paint, Paint 3d should be easy for me to pick up real quick'. Nope, the new program is a monstrosity in this regard. They don't care, they never care, they just suit themselves! I can barely use Paint 3d, yet I sometimes need it and do for simple stuff like saving an image. Any other program is even worse for that.

current irritation: learned how to use the garmin Nuvi 44 for the vehicle. Needed to get a new one and it's a Nuvi 50, came out soon after of course. Wouldn't you know the damn thing has all kinds of changes and every feature you liked is gone. I have to get out the manual constantly.

[/rant]

Yeah, I prefer software that has "legacy" options if possible. You can toggle to a older feature. In general, unless it's already a CPU and ram hog, newer operating systems can handle it. Or sometimes, they just let you keep operating an older version. You may not get some newer features, but it may be worth it to you.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 6th, 2020 at 2:40:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
[rant]

Pet Peeve that is building and building on me as I get older:

Whenever they 'improve' something,
it's always worse. Just today I logged
into my Bluebird account and they
had made it so I now have two extra
steps to do what I want. And they
were bragging about the 'upgrade'.
For instance it doesn't take me right
to the login page, I have to click on
login to take me there. It doesn't
show all my choices on one page,
I have to click on menu. BS...
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 26th, 2021 at 9:01:48 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Old articles on the net that don't include the publication date. Particularly with finance and investing articles, I need know the time perspective of the article. Often I know it's old but I don't know if it is five years old or ten.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
September 4th, 2021 at 12:36:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I know we're in the electronic age where you can design screens all different ways, but ignoring some almost standard conventions is annoying. I don't mind the upscale screens Mcdonalds has before you complete an order, but having no standard pay button or checkout button is stupid. I don't even remember what they used instead. Very annoying.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 19th, 2022 at 5:08:28 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I hate it when you get the wrong error message.... happens all the time

this morning I try to get into my HSA to pay a medical bill, and an error message says I'm using an incorrect password. This turned out to be incorrect, the system was just down is all, as I suspected. If I hadn't realized it I might have started some stupid password replacement process.

I see incorrect error messages all the time. They don't care.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 19th, 2022 at 5:45:16 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: JimRockford
Old articles on the net that don't include the publication date. Particularly with finance and investing articles, I need know the time perspective of the article. Often I know it's old but I don't know if it is five years old or ten.

100%!!!! That drives me crazy! Additionally, many of them will go back and change a word or two in the article specifically so that the, "Update," will cause it to make it back to the top of Google rankings even if someone is specifically searching for information based on recency.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 19th, 2022 at 5:47:26 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
I know we're in the electronic age where you can design screens all different ways, but ignoring some almost standard conventions is annoying. I don't mind the upscale screens Mcdonalds has before you complete an order, but having no standard pay button or checkout button is stupid. I don't even remember what they used instead. Very annoying.

I don't go to McDonald's too often specifically, but one thing I notice with them at the drive-thru is that there's often a delay in the screen switching from the total screen and order confirmation for the previous customer back to the menu. At that point, you pull up and the order-taker (whatever that person is called) wants your order and all you can do is say, "I don't know, because I cannot see the menu yet."
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 19th, 2022 at 6:15:38 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mission146
I don't go to McDonald's too often specifically, but one thing I notice with them at the drive-thru is that there's often a delay in the screen switching from the total screen and order confirmation for the previous customer back to the menu. At that point, you pull up and the order-taker (whatever that person is called) wants your order and all you can do is say, "I don't know, because I cannot see the menu yet."

WTF
You need a menu to order at McDonald's??????
I think 99% of McDonald's customers know what they want as soon as they pull in to the parking lot.
Yesterday I saw a McDonald's around lunch and craved a filet fish as I pulled in. Never looked at the menu
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 19th, 2022 at 6:20:30 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: terapined
WTF
You need a menu to order at McDonald's??????
I think 99% of McDonald's customers know what they want as soon as they pull in to the parking lot.
Yesterday I saw a McDonald's around lunch and craved a filet fish as I pulled in. Never looked at the menu

I don't need a menu; I'm certainly aware of some of the items they have for sale without it, but it certainly helps to know whether or not there is anything new that I might want to try or any specials that I might consider a decent bargain.

I can't imagine that they have a menu on the board because they expect nobody to ever want to use it.

I don't have a, "Regular," order that I get because I don't care for McDonald's very much. I would say the two double cheeseburgers for $3.50 is my most common order. They used to be 2 for $3, then they went to 2 for $4 and must have decided that was a bridge too far because now they are 2 for $3.50.
January 19th, 2022 at 7:12:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
I don't need a menu; I'm certainly aware of some of the items they have for sale without it, but it certainly helps to know whether or not there is anything new that I might want to try or any specials that I might consider a decent bargain.

I can't imagine that they have a menu on the board because they expect nobody to ever want to use it.

Correct. The kiosk at one had "international McDonald's" items before the virus closed most dining rooms. It had a few items that McDonald's overseas had but not in the USA. I find these items interesting one because it is just something new and also just to see what sells somewhere else. I got some kind of desert item, form somewhere in Europe IIRC. Too sweet but fun to try.

Ditto you on new or special items.
The President is a fink.