Homosexuality is not Victimless

Page 1 of 41234>
July 14th, 2014 at 12:06:25 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Case in point: our Comic Books are big victims.

Now that is has become so penalty-free to advertise one's orientation, the fellows at the comic book places have gone a little crazy over it, it seems. After giving it a little thought, of course it's not hard to believe many/most of the artists were gay all along.

Well maybe so, but I am glad that in my day they advertised nothing of the sort. I'm willing to bet now that many straight youngsters are deciding to 'just not pick up' comic books. It might be true that today's kids would be surprised at the ignorance of our time regarding this orientation.

Oh, I should explain, I saw a headline today saying Archie is to be killed off, taking a bullet for his 'best friend who is gay' [as I remember the headline]. I am uninformed if the Archie character is now gay or not himself, I have declined to read further.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 14th, 2014 at 12:22:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I moved on from comic books in 1960,
have they changed since then? In the
50's I read them constantly.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 14th, 2014 at 8:20:49 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: odiousgambit
Oh, I should explain, I saw a headline today saying Archie is to be killed off, taking a bullet for his 'best friend who is gay' [as I remember the headline]. I am uninformed if the Archie character is now gay or not himself, I have declined to read further.
I thought you were joking at first, but then I came across this story:

'Heroic' Archie to Be Shot Saving Gay Friend

*FACEPALM*
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
July 15th, 2014 at 3:04:43 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Evenbob
have they changed since then?

All I can say is, an 'Archie' comic back in the day was all about, well

like I say, I don't even want to know what it is about now
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 15th, 2014 at 3:22:10 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Quote: odiousgambit
I have declined to read further.
It's the only way we can get it out of our faces.
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
July 15th, 2014 at 6:25:33 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
For me, the gay movement in media has run its course. It's pretty much accepted everywhere, and everyone has formulated their opinion on it. and very little in the way of hearts and minds are going to change after we've been exposed in the media for a generation now (20 somthing years ago since Rosanne's show featured a gay couple). Archie's dying in the comic to save his gay bestie won't do anything to anyone's beliefs so it's a waste.

Only personal experience will change minds now. Media exposure has run its course. For me, blatant displays of pro-gay behaviour will just polarize people more.

For me, it doesn't matter who the subject is anymore. My daughter (who is gay) probably would have voted for our premier Kathleen Wynn because she's gay. It really didn't enter my consciousness when I voted against her, because I was more concerned about fiscal policy than anything. It wasn't until after the election until it entered my sphere of consciousness that she was gay.
July 15th, 2014 at 8:48:05 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Quote: ABC News article linked above
Freckle-faced Archie will meet his demise when he intervenes in an assassination attempt on senator Kevin Keller, Archie Comics' first openly gay character, who's pushing for more gun control in Riverdale.

I don't get the gay connection.

I guess we'll have to wait for the comic to hit the stands, but I think the senator was targeted for being pro gun control, not for being gay. That's a far more powerful irony than merely saving his gay friend.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
July 15th, 2014 at 8:52:28 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: boymimbo
For me, the gay movement in media has run its course.

Fingers crossed. I wonder what the next distraction will be, tearing us away from the stuff that matters. Any wagers?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 15th, 2014 at 9:36:55 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
Fingers crossed. I wonder what the next distraction will be, tearing us away from the stuff that matters. Any wagers?

I am going to say a major up-tick in trying to make a genderless society. There has been a war on what I will call "manliness" since the 1970s, but it will keep getting worse. Anyone who even tells others to "man up" will be scorned. Women who act feminine and pursue hobbies that their grandmothers might have will likewise be looked down upon, but not as harsh. Some men will accept it because the movement will encourage women to sleep around freely, same as men. Some women will accept it because they don't want to "look weak." And of course there will be a "try before you buy" attitude towards homosexuality, trying to make bi-sexual behavior normal. Along with this will be movement to lower the age of consent so homosexual men will not face prison for having a 16 year old boy-toy. The end result will be a generation even more loaded up on anti-depressants that we have today, because what with fighting nature so much it will be hard to keep your mind normal.

As a second guess, there will be more acceptance of the movement to ban football as we know it. By 2030 the average NFL Sunday will look like todays Pro-Bowl and will begin to vanish at the high school and junior levels. Even some colleges will pull it as the number of players gets too low to field a team.
The President is a fink.
July 15th, 2014 at 10:52:46 AM permalink
boymimbo
Quote: Face

Sure, I'll bet on the #4 car being in the top ten again this Saturday.
Page 1 of 41234>