More mansions

June 19th, 2017 at 7:01:21 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Ever get the feeling Paco is a cookie, creating posts tailored specifically to you? =D

Those natural pond things are essentially what I did. Waterproof membrane basically means pool liner, which basically means a big, rubber mat. No chemicals (or at least in common terms; will still use plant extracts to clear water), use plants to remove pollutants, etc. What's common 'round here is to add something (some copper compound) that turns the pond an emerald green. It's not a chemical but a suspension, blocking the sun from reaching the bottom and keeping weed growth almost nonexistant. Obviously, this is no good for any life.

In natural ponds, assuming no chemical / UV, you're going to have anything in it. I've spent much time lost in wonder about how this or that came to be in my pond. Nymphs, water striders, certain algae.... where'd it come from?! Wind, birds, turtles, frogs, snakes, mosquitoes, dragonflies, damselflies, mayflies, all will come and go bringing them and everything they touched with it.

It's really pretty cool =) I talk about my ten fish and one frog, but if I made a list, there'd be 50+ different things that are in and using it. Without a physical or chemical barrier, water will bring life.

Edit: Oh, and that Grand Theft Auto mansion, with all the cars... that made me dizzy. Also made me wonder how it was so cheap.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 19th, 2017 at 7:25:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Face
I've spent much time lost in wonder about how this or that came to be in my pond. Nymphs, water striders, certain algae.... where'd it come from?!

When I lived nearby a large river, the Corp of Army engineers (or someone official) dredged the bottom for larger ship passage, and a lot of material they dumped right in one area and created a new island. Bare sand.

Over a couple years I watched it become a small green forest and a real island. Kind of fascinating. I assume, mostly birds, but I guess turtles or anything else might be bringing up material. Some stuff will blow on the wind long distance.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 19th, 2017 at 10:58:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Edit: Oh, and that Grand Theft Auto mansion, with all the cars... that made me dizzy. Also made me wonder how it was so cheap.

It has a $30 million collection of cars that comes with the mansion with the $250 million pricetag.

This apartment in Monte Carlo is over $300 million, and it doesn't come with furniture, cars, and dishes.

Of course, there are over 1800 billionaires in the world with a combined wealth of over $6 trillion.
June 19th, 2017 at 11:18:48 PM permalink
Pacomartin

This Manhattan apartment is only 10,000 square feet but price is still $85 million. The owners have refused to lower the price, despite the property being on sale since 2013. Instead, they've offered perks to attempt to persuade potential buyers, including a $1M yacht with docking fees for five years, two Rolls Royce Phantoms, courtside season tickets to the Brooklyn Nets, and a Hamptons mansion rental for a summer.

In reality the so called "apartment" is really 9 apartments comprising the entire 2nd highest floor of The Atelier building built in 2006 on the west end of 42nd street near the Circle line piers.
June 20th, 2017 at 1:20:50 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Pacomartin

It has a $30 million collection of cars that comes with the mansion with the $250 million pricetag.

That's where I went wrong.

That's McLaren's flagship car in the foyer, there's $1.2mm right there. And though I can't tell as the identifying markers I use are blocked by the girls, that gold thing is either an Aventador ($0.5mm) or a Sesto Elemento ($3mm). I see a 40's or 50's Merc; three cars in and I'm halfway to eight figures already.

I assumed ALLLL the cars were to this level. That's probably why these were placed so prominently =p
June 20th, 2017 at 1:41:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Q for developer: Why did you build this house?
A: “After being on major mega yachts across the world and on beautiful private aircraft, it didn’t make sense to me people were spending $350 million on a boat, $100 million on a plane and they’re living in $20 million and $30 million homes. ... The homes have not kept up with the toys. So my feeling is if you’re going to spend over 12 hours a day in your home it should be the most amazing experience in the world.”

I assumed ALLLL the cars were to this level. That's probably why these were placed so prominently =p

The developer says that there are only 3000 people in the world who can afford this house. As there are 1800 billionaires in the world, I must guess his cutoff is in the neighborhood of $900 million net worth.

While I can't really pretend to understand the concept of buying on this level, it seems that the automobiles, the furniture, the 7 person staff is just window dressing. None of that stuff stays with the resale equity of the home. I could easily see it dropping in value by $100 million within five years of the purchase.

Of course, why spend hundreds of millions on ten guest bedroom suites. The nearby hotels are $500 a night for a room, just put your guests there. It takes a lot of rooms at $500 a night to equal $100 million.

The old Spelling mansion, The Manor, in the Holmby Hills neighbourhood of Los Angeles, went on market for $200 million. Petra Ecclestone Stunt (age 28) purchased for $85 million in an all-cash deal from Candy Spelling in July 2011, with $82.4 million borrowed from her mother.

The Manor is a French chateau-style mansion with 123 rooms and 56,000 square feet of space on more than 4.6 acres . It is the largest home in Los Angeles County. Aaron Spelling—widely known as the television producer of series including Dynasty, Charlie's Angels, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Beverly Hills, 90210 and Charmed—built The Manor as his private residence. It was designed by architects James Langenheim & Associates and built in 1988 at a cost of $12 million,

For the first time in 2016, 10 homes worldwide sold for more than $100 million each. The priciest sale, a mansion in the Peak neighborhood in Hong Kong, fetched more than $270 million.
June 20th, 2017 at 1:55:09 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Pacomartin

While I can't really pretend to understand the concept of buying on this level, it seems that the automobiles, the furniture, the 7 person staff is just window dressing. None of that stuff stays with the resale equity of the home. I could easily see it dropping in value by $100 million within five years of the purchase.

Right there with ya. I talk a lot about cars, but there is certainly an "art" factor there. Just the thought of driving a Ferrari 250GTO makes me dizzy, but to actually own a car of that magnitude... you don't have a "car". It's nothing you could do a school run in, no milk and bread, no night at the races, not even to the country club, not even to a closed track. You display it in wonder and maybe, 3 times in your life, you make a gut wrenching, 3mi-around-the-block run in it. Those aren't cars. That is art.

And while I claim to know none of the financial ins and outs of the rest, yes, the bottom is going to fall out of half those cars. Sure, the old classics could continue to mature along the up and down path of classic car dealings, but every single modern model is gonna halve in value within the decade.

Certainly, you have to stop thinking in terms of "investment" and start thinking about "experience". That's the only way I could understand the purchase.
June 20th, 2017 at 2:36:17 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Owlwood is an estate within two miles of the $250 million spec home. It was built in 1937 and was once owned by Tony Curtis and Sonny and Cher.

The estate consists of three parcels that were combined in 2002 for a total of 10 acres by the late billionaire Roland Arnall, founder of Ameriquest Capital Corp., and his wife, Dawn. After assembling their sprawling compound, the couple razed the Pink Palace, a Sunset Boulevard landmark owned by singer Engelbert Humperdinck and, before him, actress Jayne Mansfield. Another residence, once owned by film star and competitive swimmer Esther Williams, was also torn down; though the pool house and swimming pool were retained.

Certainly, you have to stop thinking in terms of "investment" and start thinking about "experience". That's the only way I could understand the purchase.

While the Owlwood estate is much smaller and older, it comes with 10 acres of prime real estate near the Los Angeles country club. While it is one of the two most expensive homes ever sold in Los Angeles county, it is still a nice experience and you can buy your own cars.
June 20th, 2017 at 2:42:40 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
If it has over 100 rooms, it's a hotel and not a house.

My dream home would be small, with a pool, a large kitchen, a yard mostly for the dogs, and no guest rooms at all.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 20th, 2017 at 3:55:23 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed
If it has over 100 rooms, it's a hotel and not a house.

My dream home would be small, with a pool, a large kitchen, a yard mostly for the dogs, and no guest rooms at all.

I would prefer a large house with only three bedrooms assuming I could afford the power bills. I just received an email from the power company estimating my bill at $498 this month which is about $100 higher than usual for June. July and August are normally the most expensive months.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.