Actors like John Wayne?

Page 1 of 3123>
June 9th, 2014 at 12:51:18 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
I loved John Wayne growing up as a kid. Even though that was toward the later stages of his career, he was still ultra cool, and I wanted to grow up to be just like him.

That got me thinking, where are all the manly actors like John Wayne today? All we have these days are pretty boys like Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, etc. Those guys make me sick, and I certainly can't picture young boys today saying stuff like, "I wanna grow up to be just like Brad Pitt!"

The closest could possibly be Schwarzenegger in his younger days, but even he doesn't quite fit the mold. Some might also say Stallone, but he was kind of a pretty boy himself. Maybe Russell Crowe, but he's still no match for The Duke.

So what has happened to actors over the past 40-50 years? We've gone from tough, rugged, manly men to girly-looking metrosexuals.
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
June 9th, 2014 at 1:04:47 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I always liked Depp. He's certainly not the rugged, ultra-testosterone guy, but there's always been something about him I could appreciate. Maybe the fact that he's not afeared to try something very different.

Cowboys are out. The last character I saw played in a show that I wanted to meet or felt like I knew was Eastwood in Gran Torino. He reminds me of the grumpy old men I seem to gravitate to. Hell, he reminds me of what people think EB is like ;)

And I don't care what bomb you try to remind me of, Samuel L. Jackson will always be a Bad M#%^$&@%#^. Loved him in 187, as well.

Seems the only ultra macho characters are in the Asian flicks anymore. David Carradine, the entire cast of unknowns in Kill Bill, those types. Of course, it doesn't quite translate into Wayne-esque toughness.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 9th, 2014 at 1:05:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
John Wayne mostly played himself. He never took
roles that would interfere with the image he wanted
to portray onscreen. Cary Grant did the same thing
in his later years. In fact, lots of actors did.

There's not as much of that now. Sly Stallone, Bruce
Willis, a few others. Johnny Depp will play any stupid
role, it seems, if the money is right. He claims the Pirate
has set him for life and he can do any movie he wants.
Too bad he makes so many bad choices.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 9th, 2014 at 1:45:23 PM permalink
Beethoven
Quote: Face
The last character I saw played in a show that I wanted to meet or felt like I knew was Eastwood in Gran Torino.
Speaking of Clint Eastwood, it has always fascinated me that John Wayne (and Frank Sinatra) turned down "Dirty Harry".
June 9th, 2014 at 1:48:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Beethoven
Quote: Face
The last character I saw played in a show that I wanted to meet or felt like I knew was Eastwood in Gran Torino.
Speaking of Clint Eastwood, it has always fascinated me that John Wayne (and Frank Sinatra) turned down "Dirty Harry".

They would have been terrible. Wayne was way too
old and fat, and Sinatra was too old and short.
It was the perfect role for Eastwood, he just played
the man with no name from his spaghetti days..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 9th, 2014 at 2:22:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
This is Wayne in 1971, age 64. Can you really see him as
Harry?

June 9th, 2014 at 2:43:27 PM permalink
Beethoven
Quote: Evenbob
This is Wayne in 1971, age 64. Can you really see him as
Harry?
LOL!

Yeah, John Wayne's career was on the downswing at that point anyway. It's interesting to note though that "Harry Callahan" was actually supposed to be in his mid-50's, and producers initially felt that Clint Eastwood was too young. Thank god they came to their senses. Sinatra would have been about the right age, although he would have sucked in that role. lol...
June 9th, 2014 at 3:03:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Sinatra didn't play heavies very well. He was too
short and slight. For years he only weighed 120
pounds. He claimed to be 5' 7" and he always
wore lifts in his shoes. People who were close
to him said he was more like 5' 6" and wore 3"
lifts. He also had bad pattern baldness and wore
a toupee for 40 years.
June 10th, 2014 at 3:37:09 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
That got me thinking, where are all the manly actors like John Wayne today? All we have these days are pretty boys like Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, etc. Those guys make me sick, and I certainly can't picture young boys today saying stuff like, "I wanna grow up to be just like Brad Pitt!"

John Wayne wasn't widely honored by hollywood until he did movies like True Grit. But even in the 1930's John Wayne was considered one dimensional. There was Cary Grant, Melvyn Douglas, William Powell , Fredric March, Clark Gable. They were the A list film stars.

There are plenty of stars that play pretty non-metrosexual characters.

June 10th, 2014 at 4:56:04 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
felt that Clint Eastwood was too young. Thank god they came to their senses.
After performances in Hang 'Em High and Coogan's bluff he was a natural for the role.
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
Page 1 of 3123>