Confessional

Page 2 of 42<12345>Last »
November 1st, 2012 at 11:47:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
Its no good having a confessional thread... you will either get trivial little stuff or nothing.

Trivial to you might be monumental to somebody
else. What a judgemental thing to say. Who are
you to judge whats trivial and what isn't..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 2nd, 2012 at 1:57:45 AM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Threads: 0
Quote: Evenbob
Trivial to you might be monumental to somebody
else. What a judgemental thing to say. Who are
you to judge whats trivial and what isn't..

When did you get so sensitive?
World's most discriminating Kool-Aid connoisseur
November 2nd, 2012 at 6:36:21 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
There are a couple things I'd like to confess from my misspent youth, but this forum isn't nearly anonymous enough.
November 2nd, 2012 at 7:09:44 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
These are good confessions and AZDuffman hits the main point of confession which is to remind us that our sins or mistakes do NOT make us a bad person, that is why we reject our sins, do pennance, and free ourselves from shame or guilt that can cripple us. Now for the pennaces:

AZDuffman: Donate 2 hours to a charity or service for others of your choice. This could be volunteering at a soup kitchen, helping out a neighbor with something or by giving roughly the amount of money you would make in two hours to a charity or disaster relief fund of your choice.

Evenbob: In the next couple of days call someone you haven't called in a while or who has been on your mind just to say you've been thinking about them and want to see how they are doing.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 2nd, 2012 at 9:24:29 AM permalink
DorothyGale
Threads: 1
Quote: FrGamble
You're a good guy there Wizard. Here is a simple pennace (sic) for you: In the next couple of days tell someone they are excellent at something. God Bless!
To the non-religious, your proscribed penance is like a policeman saying "hey you were speeding, yeah, why don't you just tell two friends they are really good looking and I'll let it pass ..."

OK, so, the other day, get this, I told my psychiatrist that his attempt to link my frustration with my current job to my unresolved father issues was really lame (as is most reductive psychoanalytic thinking), and he realized that it really was lame and that he was just doing the psychiatrist thing, and he admitted it, but I felt bad that that I wasn't nicer to him ... after all, he is in charge of my meds ... and he reminds me of my father ...

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!" -- Elpha
November 2nd, 2012 at 10:06:48 AM permalink
DorothyGale
Threads: 1
Quote: Wizard
So, that is my story. I feel guilty of a personal insult.
Allow me to give you another way to view this ...

First, you are not in the head of this Mormon child, so you can't know what she thought, and anyway, how someone responds to what you say is out of your control, so whether she was offended or not, or felt belittled, whatever, that's not the issue here ...

Second, consider psychological projection, which is the tendency to see in the world what is true for ourselves, and ask if there is some part of you that you belittle, some part of you that is a little child that you are not treating well, your inner-child and your failure to nurture that person, to respect that person, the little Mr. W., that boy who was hurt and traumatized and has never quite got over it ...

Third, realize that the problem is not the action you took towards this Mormon child, but the judgement you personally have towards the action, you are upset because of a judgement you have towards yourself that your action was not one that met your view of how you should be, your judgement of yourself and your actions is all you really have going here ... that's what hurts ...

Then, realize that the real power you have is not to have others think differently about you (again, that's out of your control), or to have some scales balanced through some counterweights (like complimenting people), or to have someone else forgive you for what you did, the power you have is to forgive yourself, but not to forgive yourself for your action, that's just superficial ... the greatest power you have is to forgive yourself for your judgements of yourself ... forgive yourself for how you are mistreating your own inner-child ...

So try this penance:

"I forgive myself for judging myself as .... (fill in the blank) "

Do 10 of these ... you'll feel much better ... and you don't need a "God" for this to work ...

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!" -- Elpha
November 2nd, 2012 at 10:14:23 AM permalink
theodores
Threads: 2
Quote: Wizard
However, somebody said "Ask a question about Mormonism for (insert female name here)." I replied, "I don't know much about it, but let try to think of one." From doing research in my family tree, I know a lot of Mormons hailed from Nauvoo, Illinois, before they got chased out and moved to Salt Lake City. So my question was "Before Salt Lake City, where was the Mormon headquarters (for lack of a better term)?"
If this is all you have to feel guilty or confess about, well . . . you are good. WPP.

I take issue with the question, however. Any number of Kirtland, Ohio; Palmyra, New York; Independence, Missouri; or Far West, Missouri should have been acceptable.

A good Mormon would have known at least Palmyra in addition to Nauvoo.
November 2nd, 2012 at 3:27:10 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Dorothy
...the greatest power you have is to forgive yourself for your judgements of yourself ...

That was quite a post. I think it would take lots of money in therapy to come truly come to such a realization. For now, my life philosophy is "Judge others leniently, judge yourself harshly." I think if everyone had that philosophy the world would be a better place.

Quote: theodores
A good Mormon would have known at least Palmyra in addition to Nauvoo.

The result of this that I feel even worse. As I mentioned, she said some what I thought were incorrect answers before she said "Nauvoo." I don't remember what they were, but now I'm mad at myself because not only did I insult her but I possibly made her look stupid by claiming correct answers were wrong. Thanks -- now I'm really depressed. At least my Mormon history has improved.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 2nd, 2012 at 3:31:15 PM permalink
fourdeuces
Threads: 0
(deleted)
November 2nd, 2012 at 3:49:22 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: DorothyGale
To the non-religious, your proscribed penance is like a policeman saying "hey you were speeding, yeah, why don't you just tell two friends they are really good looking and I'll let it pass ..."

OK, so, the other day, get this, I told my psychiatrist that his attempt to link my frustration with my current job to my unresolved father issues was really lame (as is most reductive psychoanalytic thinking), and he realized that it really was lame and that he was just doing the psychiatrist thing, and he admitted it, but I felt bad that that I wasn't nicer to him ... after all, he is in charge of my meds ... and he reminds me of my father ...

--Ms. D.

This is awesome. Thanks.
Page 2 of 42<12345>Last »