Gay Marriage

December 8th, 2017 at 3:03:45 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I think the baker had an obligation, as a licensed city/county/state business, to sell their product to anyone who comes with payment otherwise accepted. If he refused to sell them anything at all, it would be analogous to denying blacks service at lunch counters in the 50s. Clearly discriminatory.

I also think the baker has a right to refuse to customize a cake in a way they find personally offensive.

If the customer buys a basic product and customized it themselves, so be it. I doubt I would decorate a cake with f-bombs, genitalia, or gory plane crashes, but I have seen all 3. None appeared to be professionally decorated, but at least two started as commercial goods. I wouldn't have expected any bakery to provide those touches.

I do wonder what signage or advertising they had out there, though. Anything that said something like "we will customize or personalize any cake just the way you want it" would set them up for misleading customers, and perhaps provide a window of fault.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 7th, 2018 at 9:44:51 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Interesting case out of Bakersfield CA
A baker did not want to bake a cake for a gay couple celebrating their wedding
A judge ruled in favor of the baker
The gay couple just wanted a cake. No gay decoration, no words. Just a cake
The baker refused
The judge said if the couple asked for a cake already baked, the baker could not refuse
But if the couple asks the baker to bake a cake, the baker can refuse
WTF

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-wedding-cake-is-an-artistic-expression-that-a-baker-may-deny-to-a-same-sex-couple-calif-judge-rules/ar-BBINNml?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

If you are asking for a cake with no special decoration, its none of the bakers business what you are celebrating
Whats next
Bakers have the right to question customers on what they are celebrating that are just buying a plain cake
Customers buying a plain cake should have the right to say its none of your business to a nosy baker
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 17th, 2019 at 10:20:32 AM permalink
terapined
Taiwan just approved gay marriage
Its a worldwide movement

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/taiwan-approves-same-sex-marriage-in-first-for-asia-1.5139841?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 17th, 2019 at 7:38:11 AM permalink
YeahBaby
Threads: 5
June 17th, 2019 at 7:40:16 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: YeahBaby

Kinda amusing to picture a poster like YB perusing a site called "Christian Headlines." LOL
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 17th, 2019 at 8:54:33 AM permalink
terapined
Christians can change also
Plenty of room on the atheist side :-)
My Father was considering becoming a Priest when young, went into the Navy instead, got educated and evolved into an atheist.
June 17th, 2019 at 12:29:14 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: ams288
Kinda amusing to picture a poster like YB perusing a site called "Christian Headlines." LOL

An informed person always wants to look at both sides of any issue. This is what is lacking in many people today who only look at bias confirmation sites that promote their own views.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 17th, 2019 at 12:32:24 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: kenarman
An informed person always wants to look at both sides of any issue. This is what is lacking in many people today who only look at bias confirmation sites that promote their own views.

On the flip side. There is nothing wrong with being gay.
I have no interest in a side that determines that being gay is wrong
June 17th, 2019 at 1:41:49 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: kenarman
An informed person always wants to look at both sides of any issue.

When it comes to gay marriage, there isn't really "both sides" any more. There are those who support it, and there are those who are wrong. The ones who lost the battle. The losers, if you will...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 17th, 2019 at 1:46:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined
On the flip side. There is nothing wrong with being gay.

Now, in this country. In lots of other
countries you can go to prison for
being Gay. Up till 1958 that was
even true in England. So saying
there's nothing wrong with it,
you have to be more specific. In
lots of places there's plenty wrong
with it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.