Gay Marriage

May 24th, 2015 at 10:08:40 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman
Marriage used in yet another unintended way.

We tried to warn you, here it is, just one of the things I and others predicted.

I don't get the outrage. Guy adopted another guy because they couldn't marry. He did it to gain benefits he couldn't get otherwise. Now that gay marriage is recognized, they dropped the sham and did it legit.

He gamed the system, sure. But this is totally using adoption in an unintended way.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 24th, 2015 at 10:09:45 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
The abuse of marriage, why take Anna Nicoles Smith marriage to a nearly incompetent billionaire. Nothing new about using marriage in wacky ways.

Also.

A Florida court revoked a polo tycoon's adoption of his girlfriend, a scheme that aimed to funnel her millions of dollars as he battled lawsuits that

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/man-adopts-girlfriend/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 24th, 2015 at 10:20:39 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
I don't get the outrage. Guy adopted another guy because they couldn't marry. He did it to gain benefits he couldn't get otherwise. Now that gay marriage is recognized, they dropped the sham and did it legit.

You don't get it because you're not part of the Stupid Opposition(*)

(*) Look up Manicheism in "The Devil's Dictionary" by Ambrose Bierce. Or just copy the previous sentence and Google it. You know, for an Atheist, I make a lot of religious references ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 24th, 2015 at 11:28:16 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
And that adoption happened years and years ago, when they were certain that gay marriage would never happen.

So legalizing gay marriage now led to an adoption over a decade ago?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 24th, 2015 at 12:00:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
There's only one thing more boring
than regular marriage, and that's Gay
marriage. The only people who love
marriage are young people, and that's
because they have no idea what they're
getting into.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 24th, 2015 at 1:56:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
Quote: AZDuffman
Marriage used in yet another unintended way.

We tried to warn you, here it is, just one of the things I and others predicted.

Much ado about nothing.
2 old people that are lovers.
They couldn't get married so one adopted the other for estate planning purposes.
Now they can get married like they always wanted to.
Adoption would have never happened if they were allowed to get married in the 1st place.

How about Ireland.
They get it.
All political parties supported gay marriage.
The people of Ireland have spoken.

At least the people got to vote there. Here they vote and it doesn't matter.
The President is a fink.
September 4th, 2015 at 2:41:00 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Sorry to wake up an old thread, but does anyone on the forum support Kim Davis? If you don't recognize the name, she is the Kentucky clerk who refused to issue marriage licenses to gay couples and chose jail over doing so.

I don't wish to discuss gay marriage in general. What I don't get is if you believe that signing such licenses is a "heaven or hell" decision, then you should resign from your position. It is stealing to collect a paycheck for a job you refuse to do. I get and can respect that she feels that her oath to god supersedes her oath to country. However, I believe it says in the bible somewhere that you can't serve two masters. Given that, choose between god and your job. You can't have your cake and eat it to.

FrG, what is your take on this?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 4th, 2015 at 3:06:57 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
That is a good point Wizard. If the company you work for is doing something you don't like you can quit or go on strike, but I don't think you can just refuse to do a part of your job that you think is objectionable. I think she is instead trying to make a point or evangelize and I don't think it is the time or place for that.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 4th, 2015 at 3:11:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Given that, choose between god and your job.

The wacko right often believes belief in their god is a shield for bigotry.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 4th, 2015 at 4:03:29 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Wizard
Sorry to take up an old thread, but does anyone on the forum support Kim Davis. If you don't recognize the name, she is the Kentucky clerk who refused to issue marriage licenses to gay couples and chose jail over doing so.

I don't wish to discuss gay marriage in general. What I don't get is if you believe that signing such licenses is a "heaven or hell" decision, then you should resign from your position. It is stealing to collect a paycheck for a job you refuse to do. I get and can respect that she feels that her oath to god supersedes her oath to country. However, I believe it says in the bible somewhere that you can't serve two masters. Given that, choose between god and your job. You can't have your cake and eat it to.

FrG, what is your take on this?

Seems most reasonable people agree Kim Davis is wrong
The majority in the country is ok with gay marraige
Some conservatives also dont support her such as morning joe and our Ronc
What is sad is there are Republican presidential candidates that support Ms Davis and dont get seperation of Church and State

I read about the Judge that put her in jail
He is deeply Christian and personally against gay marraige.
He respects the Supreme Court and he took an oath
He totally gets it :-)

Her lawyer is a tool
Instead of just saying the licenses issued today are not valid
He throws gas on the flame by saying they are not worth the paper they are printed on
He has also given terrible advice to Ms Davis
Its a money grab, donations are up because she is in jail
Thats exactly where the orginazation that pays the lawyer wants her
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"