Gay Marriage

August 30th, 2014 at 6:29:34 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
Yea I hear you on marriage may not be a gateway to happiness.
I sit right by a foxnews viewer at work. Twice divorced.
Her view is "let them get married then they can experience all the crap I went through" :-)

That is the same thing I've heard about this issue from a gay relative. His position is that he wants the rights to handle issues for his partner that are normally handled with a spouse--medical stuff, retirement, etc. and not the right to marry. He's not against it, either...just not putting much effort in one way or the other.

When we get twenty years down the road and gay divorces lead to splitting pensions and such, then they will have moved towards the part of equality they probably won't like as much!!
August 30th, 2014 at 7:34:17 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Quote: RonC
I think there is at least one other person that would give him a run for the money over the long term. Maybe two, now that I think of it:

Narred
EvenBob

Those two seem to come up as being blocked fairly often. I am blocked by one of them. I haven't blocked that person; i don;t really care enough to block them. The other one has a roulette scheme, betting plan, or whatever I'd like to know...I keep hoping he'll put it out here for us, so I can't block him!
+1

PM Axel, I think he reverse engineered Bob's no-fail Roulette system :-)
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
August 30th, 2014 at 7:35:12 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Quote: Beethoven

Translation:
"I couldn't come up with a decent argument against Beethoven, so I blocked him to avoid admitting it."

Hahaha
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
August 30th, 2014 at 11:50:24 AM permalink
scotty71
Threads: 1
I dont know how to feel about gay/ same sex marriage. Ultimately It's a social issue and a topic used by both political parties to keep the publics eye away from the real fiscal and diplomacy issues we face as a nation. Legal mechanisms exist to give same sex partners some of the rights they want/need (medical & financial power of attorney) that are a given if you are married in a traditional since. If this was our nations biggest issue it would be a high quality problem to say the least. Of the 4 gay couples I know (one being my mother actually) only 1 couple is adamant about the fact that gay marriage should exist. I think ultimately it should be allowed, I guess, as I haven't heard a really good argument against it. To that point I wish marriage licenses and divorces as a whole were much harder to come by.... too little thought goes into building a life together it seems.
August 30th, 2014 at 4:54:39 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
You know how I feel about gay marriage. My daughter's gay. So is Cheney's. You get a different perspective when it close to you in life. And I am Christian too, so that puts me at odds between my church and my daughter. But my daughter is quite capable of having the same exact sexual feelings, romantic feelings, and so on and so forth, to one person who happens to have the same type of genitalia that she has. From my perspective, I want the government to recognize her union to someone else. I don't want my church to recognize the same marriage, however. I don't see being gay as a psychological disorder -- I know plenty of gay people who are far more sane than I am.

From a government perspective, I support the idea of a union which gives someone a designated right, over anyone else, to receive benefits. That is, for example, survivor benefits, medical benefits, tax benefits (married filing jointly), and other benefits that only marriage between one man and one woman provides. The idea is that you designate each other to be the sole benificiary of those benefits. This takes care of the polygamy argument because it is more than one person, and the government (or anyone) does not have a valid pecking order to apply. Furthermore, clearly, in a high percentage of cases, polygamy has been shown to be extremely harmful to spouses and their children. That's why the government outlaws that. Show evidence that it is absolutely unharmful and maybe I'll be swayed. Children of gay marriage, it seems do not suffer adverse affects, except possibly a greater degree of tolerance and anti-christianity, but there are no greater cases of abuse or violence it seems in this family. Please show me a valid study that states otherwise.
August 30th, 2014 at 5:38:59 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: boymimbo
polygamy has been shown to be extremely harmful to spouses and their children.
There are many Muslims in the world who would dispute such a sweeping statement.

Who are you to deny these Muslims equal rights????? All they want are the same rights YOU already have.
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
August 30th, 2014 at 11:42:53 PM permalink
scotty71
Now I'm reading your posts so I can understand how you think about things since i was so ignorant to the fact....

With so many ridiculous arguments used by supporters of gay marriage, I'm glad to see this guy throwing it back in their faces:

list the ridiculous arguments ____________ & ________________& ____________________ &________________________ &____________________

Quote: TheCesspit
Once he can get the commitment and legal consent of the computer to the marriage

Since libs love changing definitions of words, then let's change the definition of "consent" so he can.

examples of libs changing definitions of words. is it the "term" marriage you object to or the rights granted under the term...you haven't said yet?

Good, if liberals are so keen on changing definitions, then they shouldn't whine if the guy in Florida wants to change the definition of "consent".

They won't they'll just think he's pathetic most likely married to his hand

Nope, the best argument wins. Unfortunately, your side has problems finding one.

what side, I thought you were an independent thinker? And you haven't made a single argument or stated What you are even arguing about at this point and again no evidence to support your argument.

Instead, he's going through the court system. And it's brilliant. Why? Because 90%+ of gay marriage supporters use the ridiculous argument that "you should be able to marry whoever you love". Or that it's all about "equality". One of the great things about this guy's case is that he will end up forcing gay marriage supporters to give up lame, phony arguments like these.

Did you take that poll at amongst gays (no pun intended) what do the other 10% say

But Finally you're getting to the point that you are against gay marriage... it took you at least 5 posts to get to your point but you had to shroud it as if it was an intellectual endeavor and an exercise in absurd unintended consequences

Why is it funny, because they got divorced... do you advocate counseling before marriage... I do. Maybe thats a starting point for all marriages. You were trying to be coy and you blew it off later that.... "now they can stuffer the financial and emotional hardships of divorce" still not an argument against gays being married when over 40% of traditional marriages result in divorce

I find his demonization of traditional marriage supporters to be highly offensive. We don't like it when he and his supporters refer to us as "bigots" just because they disagree with us. I also find things like racial slurs to be highly offensive.

You can support traditional marriage without denying "untraditional marriages" cant you? or is that too many things going at once. Maybe he confused the "WE" you with a 7th street baptist church guy or maybe he was talking about these guys
http://americansfortruth.com/2010/07/27/homosexual-hate-group-to-protest-truth-academy/
you dont belong to their group (AFTAH do you.. not all gays want to marry. Are you against gays or just gay marriage? These guys were crying that homosexuals were protesting their truth academy, sniff sniff
Sounds like if you dont agree with them you are a Marxist, are you a marxist or do you agree with them? Its a simple yes no answer.
It's so hilarious that a random person on an internet forum can get into your head and mess with you like that. In fact, I bet you're clenching your fists right now screaming, "Damn, how do I get him back this time!" LOL!! :D

He probably wasn't he was probably sad that you cant present just state an opinion because you knows that tolerance and love is part of christianity and it scares you when you look in the mirror that G_D might be ashamed of you. notice I said might...relationships with G_D are personal.
Believe it or not, I'm actually closer to the libertarian wing of the conservative movement (see my survey). The only 2 social issues I strongly oppose are abortion (because it's immoral) and gay marriage

Trust me on this, the conservative movement doesn't want you speaking for them. Your opinions as I'll show are cloaked that you cost them votes...trust me on the fact that you should keep your "movement" will split conservative votes and keep "libs' as you like to say in office forever.
August 31st, 2014 at 12:03:06 AM permalink
scotty71
Back to learning more about your strong social argument about the dangers and consequences of gay marriage.

If you listen to the media, all blacks support gay marriage.

But here's a video of blacks in Harlem which shows that the media's depiction may not be so accurate:

It is pretty common knowledge that their is a high level of homophobia in the black community http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/african-americans-the-last-democratic-holdouts-on-gay-marriage-20130501 not sure why it was important, were you making a point about what you think is the liberal bias in the media. YES, the media is biased, the sell advertising and pay close attention to keeping people tuned in. Earth shattering revelation....

Exactly, this is why the gay marriage argument keeps getting shot down.

Gays only want THEIR definition of marriage to be the law of the land, and they have no problem discriminating against polygamists (who just want the same rights as gays).

So I wish gays would stop preaching about "marriage EQUALITY" when, in fact, they don't want equality at all.

Who shot down the gay marriage argument, not you yet? You haven't stated a single reason why gay marriage shouldn't be allowed that I can tell. Do you favor polygamy? Just say it if you do. I dont know as much about it as you seem to know it but I did read "Under the banner of Heaven" and it didn't seem like that polygamist town had much to do with equality or respect at all. It was more about raping girls under the pretense of religion. So I vote no based on that evidence... they weren't as nice as the ones on the TV show.
Is there a vocal group of gays that came out against polygamy? How do you know that gay marriage supporters are against it, your pulse on the gay community? sources please

Page 20 Now, still no discussion of why you oppose gay marriage but I do agree with this in regards to the media... but they sell ads remember..
You gotta love this one. This Sam guy is supposedly focused 100% on football, right? Yet he's going around filming a documentary series for Oprah????? Please. This dude doesn't want to play football. He just wants to become the gay Kim Kardashian. Can you imagine the liberal media's reaction if Tebow had been filming a religious documentary series during training camp?? *facepalm*

BUT NOT THIS

I have similar thoughts as well. We always hear the "I was born this way" argument, but I still think something else is at play here. For example, gays might have an argument if, say, the average lesbian was attracted to the same type of woman as the average (normal) man. Or if the average gay guy was attracted to the same type of guy as the average (normal) woman.
But this isn't the case at all. Gay guys are usually very feminine, while lesbians are usually very masculine. This alone should tell any sensible person that's there something majorly out of whack here.
I still believe that homosexuality is similar to things like pica or OCD. I don't "hate" people who suffer from any of these things, but I certainly don't fool myself into thinking that they are normal

THE PAYOFF FINALLY You could of just done this on page 1. These sound like the dots that got connected after your wife (ex) caught you cruising at gay bars and your pastor sent you to sexual re-orientation camp http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_therapy Did it work for you or do you still have urges?

Even though I also oppose civil unions and domestic partnerships, I am a very reasonable guy
come now???
who doesn't want to cause any unnecessary problems, so I went along with their proposal and voted for civil unions.

Were you throwing them a bone what rights or sort of rights should they or should they not have... SPECIFICS PLEASE

Once again, AZ makes a great point. This reminds me of the guy in Florida who ended up adopting his girlfriend so that he could protect his assets in a wrongful death lawsuit.

A wealthy Florida man has adopted his 42-year-old girlfriend as a daughter to protect his assets

Liberals always sanctimoniously preach that "marriage is all about love" and that "you should be able to marry whomever you want", yet they never consider the real-life consequences of such idiotic arguments.

So gays only want to get married to protect their assets in lawsuits? When my wife and I applied for our marriage license no one questioned whether I was trying to hide assets or reduce my tax liability, that didn't come up whe I had kids either but I bet If I had posted an article saying some couple (traditional) was caught adopting a kid only so they could apply for a deduction you would say that is furthering your point.

I didn't have a strong opinion on gay marriage this morning but you swayed me. I know now that you are against gay marriage,think gay people are mentally ill and theres a media bias to trick us into believing that blacks support gay marriages. Why didn't you just post that first?
August 31st, 2014 at 1:11:29 AM permalink
Beethoven
Quote: scotty71
list the ridiculous arguments ____________ & ________________& ____________________ &________________________ &____________________
LOL!

Just read the posts that I had responded to. The answers are right there. :D

examples of libs changing definitions of words. is it the "term" marriage you object to or the rights granted under the term...you haven't said yet?
Um...yes, I have. Many times, in fact. Many, many, many, many times. Just click on my username. Those posts shouldn't be too hard to find.

what side, I thought you were an independent thinker?
YOUR side. What side do you think I'm talking about? *facepalm*

(And I am an independent thinker, yessiree!)

And you haven't made a single argument...
Nope, you just haven't looked hard enough...lol

But Finally you're getting to the point that you are against gay marriage... it took you at least 5 posts to get to your point but you had to shroud it as if it was an intellectual endeavor and an exercise in absurd unintended consequences
Seriously??? You're the only one here who can't figure out my point about gay marriage. *facepalm*

Why is it funny, because they got divorced...
Yep!

"now they can stuffer the financial and emotional hardships of divorce" still not an argument against gays being married when over 40% of traditional marriages result in divorce
There's that reading comprehension problem rearing its ugly head again.

I never used that as an argument, genius. I was simply laughing at the guy. Not too hard to figure out. *facepalm*

You can support traditional marriage without denying "untraditional marriages" cant you? or is that too many things going at once. Maybe he confused the "WE" you with a 7th street baptist church guy or maybe he was talking about these guys
http://americansfortruth.com/2010/07/27/homosexual-hate-group-to-protest-truth-academy/
you dont belong to their group (AFTAH do you.. not all gays want to marry. Are you against gays or just gay marriage?
Again, please read my posts. I've talked about this at length already. Multiple times.

He probably wasn't he was probably sad that you cant present just state an opinion...
Oh, so you're going back to the mind-reading thing now? I don't know whether to *facepalm* or LOL!!

Trust me on this, the conservative movement doesn't want you speaking for them.
Nah, that's OK. I'll pass.

Based on your posts thus far, I don't trust you on anything. lol...

Your opinions as I'll show are cloaked that you cost them votes...trust me on the fact that you should keep your "movement" will split conservative votes and keep "libs' as you like to say in office forever.
Wow, I never knew I was such a powerful guy. Much more powerful than I had ever thought. Guess I'm a kingmaker after all.

Thanks for bringing all this to my attention! :)

Back to learning more about your strong social argument
LOL

Somehow I doubt you've learned anything from all this. :D

YES, the media is biased, the sell advertising and pay close attention to keeping people tuned in. Earth shattering revelation....
Wow, you started that statement off strong with the first few words, but then you fizzled out. *facepalm*

Who shot down the gay marriage argument, not you yet? You haven't stated a single reason why gay marriage shouldn't be allowed that I can tell. Do you favor polygamy?
Good lord. You've been quoting me this whole time, but after reading the above statement, it's obvious that you can't comprehend anything. *facepalm*

Page 20 Now, still no discussion of why you oppose gay marriage...
See above. *facepalm x2*

I didn't have a strong opinion on gay marriage this morning
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. (wink wink) :D

I know now that you are against gay marriage,think gay people are mentally ill and theres a media bias to trick us into believing that blacks support gay marriages. Why didn't you just post that first?
Why don't you just read my posts? No one else has such problems figuring out my position.

Or is it that reading comprehension thing again? lol...
August 31st, 2014 at 1:17:45 AM permalink
Beethoven
These sound like the dots that got connected after your wife (ex) caught you cruising at gay bars and your pastor sent you to sexual re-orientation camp http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_therapy

Did it work for you or do you still have urges?
FYI, just so you know, you could get suspended for this accusation. The Wizard has spoken specifically about saying/implying that another member is gay, and he has suspended people in the past for doing exactly what you just did.

Here are his own words:
Quote: Wizard
When I was a kid I was the frequent victim of bullying. The physical beatings often came with being called gay or a fag. It is not easy for me to talk about it, so let's leave it at that.

That is largely the reason why I feel that calling a straight man gay is very insulting. Even if it is just implied....it is going to be met with punishment on my site. This is something I feel strongly about and do not expect me to reverse that policy. You can suggest I'm another religion all you want. It is not the same thing.

Great job! Way to break the Wizard's rules!!! *facepalm*